Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Jtv Models In 500hd Presets

Not sure if this post should be here or POD HD forum---

I am trying to set up a bank of presets:

A: preset that uses an acoustic model and no amp block

B: preset that uses Lester into Park 75

C: preset that uses current model on JTV into Dr Z

D: preset that uses current model on JTV into Bassman

This works well going from A to B or B to A

But if I switch from A to C or A to D, the acoustic model stays active.

Same problem if I go B to C or B to D - Lester stays active

For the presets C & D

On page 7 of the Settings page, I have

1) Variax control: Preset

2) Model: Don't Force

3) Local Control : Unlocked

4) Tone: 100%

Is this a bug? Why can't these presets revert back to the model I've got dialed on the JTV59?

It is "normal" behaviour, but should it be?

I would agree with the OP that a more logical procedure would be:- if the HD500 is set to a specific model then the JTV goes to that model, but if is says "Model: Don't Force" then it should go to whatever the knobs are set to...

Maybe I'm getting spoiled by having so much control between JTV & POD HD......

But I don't like it!

It's not a huge deal, but it's a little confusing to switch to a preset and have that preset hold over the previous model from the previous preset. If the tuning from a previous preset doesn't carry over, the model shouldn't carry over either.

It is "normal" behaviour, but should it be?

I would agree with the OP that a more logical procedure would be:- if the HD500 is set to a specific model then the JTV goes to that model, but if is says "Model: Don't Force" then it should go to whatever the knobs are set to...

For me this is a nevermind thing...But I guess that even it is ''normal'' it's not so great idea...Your points are correct.

..., but if is says "Model: Don't Force" then it should go to whatever the knobs are set to...

This sounds like something that could be implemented - not sure. You might want to make a feature request for it.

... If the tuning from a previous preset doesn't carry over, the model shouldn't carry over either.

Arguably, the tuning is specified with every HD500 preset; it either uses the HD500 alternate tuning capability, or it doesn't. If it doesn't, that means the JTV tuning is reset to standard. No ambiguity there; the reason the tuning doesn't 'carry over' is that it has been explicitly reset in the new preset.

The difference with the JTV Model selection is that it's not exactly clear how the JTV should behave when 'Don't Force' is defined in the HD500 preset; there is ambiguity. Clearly, the 'current' JTV model should be retained. But how should 'current model' be defined? By the model that is active in the JTV buffer (the last one 'forced' by the HD500), or the model that is defined by the physical knob and pickup selector positions? Line 6 has chosen to implement the former. Could that be changed? Probably - that's where your feature request comes in.

But equally probably, the moment they changed it there would be complaints from those who are used to the way it currently works and would request a return to the current implementation.

• Upvote 1

I've also noticed this, but it hasn't been a big issue with me. I keep my model knob on my favorite model position, and when I have a HD500X preset switch my JTV to another model, then go back to a "don't force" patch (I use my mags 90% of the time), and want to use a model, I just flick my 5-way on my 69S or the 3-way switch on my 59, and the model returns to the selector-switched model. Just a flick and I'm back where I need to be.... Either that or make the HD500X force the model -- pick a "home base" HD500X patch that's your go to, and switch to it on the way to your next patch...

I don't consider it a bug, just how it works and make it work for me....

Just some ideas. YMMV

Dave

• 4 months later...

Not sure if this post should be here or POD HD forum---

I am trying to set up a bank of presets:

A: preset that uses an acoustic model and no amp block

B: preset that uses Lester into Park 75

C: preset that uses current model on JTV into Dr Z

D: preset that uses current model on JTV into Bassman

This works well going from A to B or B to A

But if I switch from A to C or A to D, the acoustic model stays active.

Same problem if I go B to C or B to D - Lester stays active

For the presets C & D

On page 7 of the Settings page, I have

1) Variax control: Preset

2) Model: Don't Force

3) Local Control : Unlocked

4) Tone: 100%

Is this a bug? Why can't these presets revert back to the model I've got dialed on the JTV59?

I HAD this working until yesterday when I was attempting to do things via the pod instead of HDedit...now I lost it...or should I say it lost it??

• 4 months later...

I also struggle a lit bit with the "Don't force" option.

I also have recognized that the preset stores if the mag are activated or deactivated when I select "Don't force". (http://line6.com/support/topic/7902-how-to-avoid-to-switch-jtv-mag-models-although-dont-force-is-active/)

Therefore I would suggest to provide a "Use JTV Setting" option, which means it use either the current model or the mags if the are currently active when I navigate to this patch. 

Wolfgang