Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Virus report on Helix memory stick

Phil_GMC

Hello folks,

I just put my Helix USB stick into my PC and Bitdefender reported a virus by the name of Win32.Tufik.A Am I safe to delete it or is it something that is needed and falsely reported as a virus?

Thanks

I haven't even used it yet honestly I don't know will ever even need to.

I guess it's a good thing to have your presets backed up but they are all on my laptop as I do most editing on there.

I've never had a problem with my line 6 gear at a show that was one thing that pulled me towards the Helix as opposed to the other modelers on the market

Delete the virus. This thing has been around for years, check this from back in 2008

http://www.microsoft.com/security/portal/threat/encyclopedia/entry.aspx?Name=TrojanDownloader:Win32/Tufik.A

I don't know how it got on your USB stick, but it should not be there!

Get a condom for your computer.

I find it odd that Yamaha allow such things​ !!!!!!

Damn right! Someone needs to check that out.

What's the chances that some poor little kid, without any shoes, working in a factory out in the Far East is banging out these pre-loaded USB sticks all day long.

This would definitely make me suspect the provenance of my Helix. Could the two users reporting this tell us where they got their LT from. Perhaps these were returns or maybe the vendor is checking the USB drive and infecting it accidentally although this seems unlikely. Some resalers pre-inspect some of their merchandise before sending it out. I would also check my computer for this virus to make sure that this it is not writing itself out to any USB drive that is plugged into it. If I were L6 I would also check a cross-section of the USB drives for the LT to make sure they are not coming from the factory infected.

I got mine from Andertons UK ,a very very reputable dealer. Mine was one of the first batch into the UK. I have other USB sticks plugged in and nothing happens with them.

Cheers

I got mine from Andertons UK ,a very very reputable dealer. Mine was one of the first batch into the UK. I have other USB sticks plugged in and nothing happens with them.

Cheers

Report it to Captain Lee, and get him to check out how it got on the USB stick. That should get a result, Anderton's have massive buying power.

Given those two different sources, chances seem good that it's a false positive. Those do happen, with all antivirus software.

Was it the same antivirus software in both cases?

It's a false positive for malware. My guess is that Line 6 has a little pop up program that auto-starts when you put the USB stick in that let's the user chose which owner's manual they need. The anti-virus does not recognize it and shuts is down as it should.

Not trying to be difficult, and as I said myself, I think you're probably right, but how do you KNOW that?

Which is evidence that you know what you're doing with IT stuff.

It's not evidence that the virus reportedly found on two USB sticks not in your possession is a false positive.

Given those two different sources, chances seem good that it's a false positive. Those do happen, with all antivirus software.

Was it the same antivirus software in both cases?

This sounds like a very likely possibility.  Even if it proves to be the case and it is a false positive Line6 should probably still change the distribution on the USB drive. I remember a while back people were having download issues on the firmware due to a certificate signing issue. False virus warnings (assuming it is one) and certificate errors ultimately don't impact the quality of the software but they do alarm users and are worth addressing.

OMG, just format the stupid memory stick and download the latest manuals from Line 6.

There's no need to take that tone!!! 
Number 1: I didn't know what was on the memory stick, I thought it was just a freebie or possibly some trial software. 
Number 2: Formatting the drive wouldn't help if the virus had infected my pc should Bitdefender not have found it. 

Strong people don't put others down, they lift them up :) 
  • Upvote 2

There's no need to take that tone!!! 
Number 1: I didn't know what was on the memory stick, I thought it was just a freebie or possibly some trial software. 
Number 2: Formatting the drive wouldn't help if the virus had infected my pc should Bitdefender not have found it. 

Strong people don't put others down, they lift them up  :)

The first response from @jrrjr68 got it. I was joking...

lol

The first response from @jrrjr68 got it. I was joking...

Well I apologise then, but maybe a smiley at the end would convey the sentiment of the message? That's the problem with the written word, no facial expression or aural tone to convey feelings/meanings/intent  :)

:)