Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

1/4� OUT Buzzing Helix LT

Jooble

Hey just bought a Helix LT today... its awesome but... when i use the 1/4†OUT mono into my Yamaha thr10 (flat mode) i get a loud buzzing sound even when i have the master volume at nothing so should be no sound. I have tried the ground switch on the Helix and it does nothing. Had a look at the settings and didnt see anything that may account for this.

Like to point out with headphones I dont get this its totally clean.

Is the 1/4†OUT on my helix broken or have i got a setting wrong?

Thanks!

I dont have any dimming LED lights in the house dont think they are CFL bulbs, but if that was the case id expect a bit of buzz this is quite a lot high pitched very noticeable. So both are plugged into a belkin surge protected mult plug. The yamaha has no buzzing when i unplug the Helix from it.... Oh yea and im firmware version 2.210 if that helps

thanks for the help btw :)

I have a THR10C and connect my Helix to the Yamaha via the AuxIn, using a HOSA Dual 1/4" Male L&R to Stereo 1/8" Male adapter cord. I use the Helix L&R Main Out (or FX Send 1/2 or 3/4). It works great! Connecting to the Yamaha this way, bypasses all the Yamaha's DSP, so the audio is very clean coming out of the Yamaha's Stereo Spkrs. As a result, the Yamaha's Amp Selection Knob postion, Tone Stack knobs, and FX knob settings are inactive so it doesn't matter how I last had them set for playing directly through the THR10C. The only knob on the Yamaha that matters is the AuxIn's Volume knob.

I tried going in via the Main 1/4" in on the Yamaha, but did not care for the results, even when it's Amp selection was set to "Flat".

YMMV

I dont have any dimming LED lights in the house dont think they are CFL bulbs, but if that was the case id expect a bit of buzz this is quite a lot high pitched very noticeable. So both are plugged into a belkin surge protected mult plug. The yamaha has no buzzing when i unplug the Helix from it.... Oh yea and im firmware version 2.210 if that helps

thanks for the help btw :)

Quite frankly I doubt seriously that this has anything to do with your Helix.  This is purely a ground loop problem and possibly exacerbated by going direct in to the main amp circuit.  I'm not sure what the "flat" setting does, but if it's not bypassing the pre-amp it's likely any ground loop will be accentuated.  Ground loops can be due to two different electrical units plugged into different circuits that have different grounds, or in some cases simply bad grounding on a given circuit so that it's not completely isolated from interference from any number of things.  Surge protectors really don't do anything in terms of isolating these ground loops.

One thing you can try is to use a HumX ground loop eliminator.  I have a bunch of these that I keep with me for live performances where you can't expect good clean power.  I've included a link to one.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/HumX

First and foremost is checking the cable that you are using.

I recall this issue happening recently for someone else on a Helix 

or was the the HD forum.

and the solution was in the menu pages settings.

Someone will chime in and solve this for you soon.

Hey thanks for the suggestions. I tried different leads and they all have the same result. As the THR10 has the option to use batteries i gave that a go to as that would tell me if it was a grounding issue. put the batteries in problem goes away... now I dont want to use batteries to use my THR10 as a speaker all the time so ideally ill find something. Im in the UK so there is no Humx type thing as far as i can see :( thinking about giving this a go between the helix and thr10 (https://www.amazon.co.uk/Behringer-MICROHD-Hum-Destroyer-HD400/dp/B000KUD2G4/ref=sr_1_sc_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1493754122&sr=8-1-spell&keywords=hum+eleminator) Any way thanks for the tips making some progress :)

It sounds a bit obvious but have you tried the ground lift switch on your Helix?

Craig

Ground lift only affects the XLR outputs, because the XLR is a balanced output. You can't lift the ground on a single ended output like the 1/4" unbalanced out.

Ground lift only affects the XLR outputs, because the XLR is a balanced output. You can't lift the ground on a single ended output like the 1/4" unbalanced out.

Good point, it definitely sounds like a grounding problem. Have you checked that your IEC cables are good?

The Yamaha THR10 switched power supplies after it was originally launched because people were getting earth buzzes

Does your PSU have a cassette type cable or a kettle lead

If it is the former the PSU needs changed

...  Im in the UK so there is no Humx type thing as far as i can see :( thinking about giving this a go between the helix and thr10 (https://www.amazon.co.uk/Behringer-MICROHD-Hum-Destroyer-HD400/dp/B000KUD2G4/ref=sr_1_sc_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1493754122&sr=8-1-spell&keywords=hum+eleminator) ...

Some options from Thomanns UK as well.

https://www.thomann.de/gb/search_dir.html?bf=&sw=Hum+elim

• 7 months later...

Hi all!

Sorry for my bad English, so I will try to be fast. I've got the same humming issue when I connect my Helix (LT) to my THR10 and what I've noticed is:

- The humming is present even when the Helix is off. It appears each time there is a physical link between both devices and the Helix is connected to an electrical source. I plug the main output of the Helix into the Aux In of the THR 10 but, of course, the problem is also present when I use the THR10 guitar input or when connecting the Helix Send Output to the THR Aux input. Yet, and as stated, the humming disappears when I remove the power source cable of the Helix (Helix is already off).

- The humming is also present when I try to power the Helix and THR10 by plugging them on different power electrical sources in my home (including batteries for the THR10).

So, if I try to sum up, the problem seems to appear each time the Helix is connected to a power source. Then it forwards a hum to the THR10 whatever the way it is connected. Cables used to connect them are mono ones. As written in the forum the ground lift button has no effect (as it is managed for XLR).

To conclude, I'm still interested if someone has found a trick for this. (I admit I've didn't tried yet the physical hum eliminator on the Helix source as suggested by DunedinDragon - I need to find one for French 230V network). I've ordered a Behringher HD400, I'll let you know if it can solve the issue when received.

In any case, thanks for any clue! 😀