Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Just ordered my JTV-89F

I just had to tell someone.  Well, I told my other half, and she just rolled her eyes.  Some of you saw this and rolled your eyes, but I know it was for a different reason :)

1.  Anything I should check upon arrival (not the usual stuff, but stuff specific to the guitar)

2.  VDI Cable.  I ordered the Line 6 cable, but I have seen references to other more robust ones.  Unfortunately the links are old, so looking for any recent recommendations.

3.  Same with a hard case.  Looking for a recent recommendation.

Thanks in advance.

• Upvote 1

1. I bought my 89F used, so I'll let someone else answer this one.

2. I have the original Line 6 cable that came with my JTV69 and a new Line 6 cable that I ordered a few months ago from their website. The two cables are completely different. The new one is much thicker cable that doesn't get as tangled as the original cable. So I would say you're in good shape with the one you ordered.

3. I like a gig bag. Hard cases take up too much space and I don't baby my JTV's. They're my workhorses.

Thanks specracer986,

Been playing since I was kid.. (50+ years) and never could get used to putting a guitar in a softcase.  My first guitar was a box bought with S&H greenstamps and even it had a hardboard case.

I bought mine new, and just looked it over very well, and tried each feature to make sure it all works. Mine came with the soft gig bag, which I never got to use. The zipper was broken, didn't want to hassle with sending it back. I use a hard case and it fit in one of my old airline hard case so, that is what I use to transport it.

As for the cable. I had an old Variax 300 and I am using that cable because I like it better than the one that came with my guitar.

I gig with mine all the time. Love it. Hope you love yours too. I got mine in black.

Great choice! I sold the original bag that came with it. I love this case (bag) for my 89F. Lightweight and you can carry it on your back and carry another item in your free when loading into the gig. I have no doubt it's just as efficient as a hard case but better. The Line 6 cable appears to be the only game right now. Enjoy!

• 3 weeks later...

I just bought a new JVT-89F (red) from Sweetwater.  It's a beautiful guitar.  It says made in Korea on the box (serial # starts with W16) but the fit and finish is first rate.  I haven't used the Workbench HD yet (just installed on my win 10 computer).  I also got the Spider V 60 amp.   I found that my Android ASUS Zen tablet (Android 5.0) seems to work well when connected to the amp.   I had to order a cables from Monoprice (USB C male to USB A female) and then connect that from the tablet to another cable often used for printers (USB A to USB B).  I haven't figured out how to save a setup using the tablet app yet, they should make that obvious. 

Great choice! I sold the original bag that came with it. I love this case (bag) for my 89F. Lightweight and you can carry it on your back and carry another item in your free when loading into the gig. I have no doubt it's just as efficient as a hard case but better. The Line 6 cable appears to be the only game right now. Enjoy!

I dig my Vertigo bag as well.  I don't like it quite as much as the now-discontinued InCase bag but it's hard to go wrong with anything from MONO.

As for VDI cables, any Cat5 or Cat6 Ethercon will do. I'd probably go with one from BTPA.com .

CAT6 would be the wrong bandwidth for that data rate frequency. CAT5 is the one to use.

Cat5. Cat5e and Cat6 are identical except for the insulation and separation of each twisted pair.   Actually Cat6 would "technically" be better, but the only way to know or tell the difference is compare them at 100 meter (328 feet) runs.   For our purposes...  doesn't really matter.

Need to use the cable that is best suited for the frequency bandwidth being used.

CAT5's, CAT6 and CAT7 are different in subtle ways regarding frequency bands being used.

"Technically",... it's only better when the right cable is used for the right bandwidth region used

being the application. Which is why speaker cable is not used for radio antennae.

CAT6 and CAT7 are used for higher data rate frequencies that are not used at Line 6.

I see this all the time. Better speed cable, isn't better, for lower speed data rates.

It does matter. I had this discussion with Steve Lampen of Belden cable Co, earlier this year 

at the trade show, get some more info and clarity on this, since this has been a topic here on the forum.

CAT5 for use with Line 6 product.

I stand by what I stated for lengths under 30 feet or so.    Wire per se doesn't have a "bandwidth" restrictions or bandwidth anything...  it has guage and length, and has insulation and separation.    And you can abso-freq'ing-lutely (see what I did there) use speaker wire for a radio antennae, even for transmitting, if it's cut to the correct length.   I don't know much, but I've been doing network installs since there were networks, and I was installing antenna's (using proper materials) for about 40 years.  

I'm sure Mr. Lampen didn't have the complete details of the conversation or he would have never said that.   Using his logic, the Analog signal from the pickups shouldn't be able to be on Cat5 at all.  

The "Frequency" standard is a rating and based on insulation and separation of the wire.   In simple terms... Cat5 cable is just too noisey to run GB signals over...  however.. If you're just using it for a patch cable (less than 2 feet)...  and it's a decent cable..  it will likely work just fine.   I can point to several data closets that have cat5 patch cables on high bandwidth networks.  Granted, they "shouldn't" and there could be packet loss....  in fact there SHOULD be loss... just haven't ever witnessed it.

When we do installs, we always use the highest/best quality cable available that the client can afford to ensure they don't have to upgrade their cable at the next jump in network speeds.

And this topic feels to much like work...   so I'm back to music..