Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Metallica tones on Helix

mrmichaelgibson

I have been using IRs for a while now on the PC (using a DAW like Reaper) and they have been super easy to get set up and sounding the way I need (just with free modeling plug-ins, or BIAS FX and BIAS Amp).  

I am starting to use my Helix (just got it!) but am having a tough time using the same IRs to get the same tones on the Helix that I do on the PC (so I can put the PC away and just jam).

Here are the IRs I use for some Metallica tones that are insanely spot on:

And this is the link directly to the IRs (which are free).

Anyone have any advice for using a simple metal amp and then applying the IRs?   I have tried to use them with some of the already created patches.  Some have a bit of the IR sound (event though the mix is set to 100%) and some don't make any difference at all.

Thanks!!!

Not sure what you mean by "some have a bit of the IR sound". An IR in Helix is just a substitution (in .wav file format) for the native cabinet blocks. Actually, the native cabinet blocks are IRs, just with some added flexibility with the parameters. 

Anyone have any advice for using a simple metal amp and then applying the IRs? I have tried to use them with some of the already created patches. Some have a bit of the IR sound (event though the mix is set to 100%) and some don't make any difference at all.

Thanks!!!

Make sure you turn off any existing Cab block in the factory presets when you introduce an IR block. Many presets use integrated Amp+Cab blocks so in those presets you will need to replace it with just the corrresponding Amp block. Note it's settings first before deleting/replacing it.

Not sure what you mean by "some have a bit of the IR sound". An IR in Helix is just a substitution (in .wav file format) for the native cabinet blocks. Actually, the native cabinet blocks are IRs, just with some added flexibility with the parameters. 

Thanks for the reply!  I'm pretty sure that I am not bypassing the cabs totally, then.  I assume then I should make sure to bypass them in order to get the IRs to work correctly?

I'm pretty sure that I am not bypassing the cabs totally, then.  I assume then I should make sure to bypass them in order to get the IRs to work correctly?

You don't have to bypass them.

​Try running your amp, then split signal and load IR there, Then put a cab back on the original signal chain after the split.

I've gotten some good results like that. plus you can compare your IR's to Line 6's then.

​

I did a very quick (and rough) cover of Fuel which you can see here:

No solo, I was being lazy. I can send you that patch if you think it might be of use. Just bear in mind it's setup to sound like that over the song so it might need tweaking in terms of EQ.

Thanks for the reply!  I'm pretty sure that I am not bypassing the cabs totally, then.  I assume then I should make sure to bypass them in order to get the IRs to work correctly?

Ah, gotcha. I usually run a split after the amp model with an IR as a "dry" then a cab block on my "wet" split. If you are just running an IR, you don't need a cab block. The IR takes the place of the cab model. 

I did a very quick (and rough) cover of Fuel which you can see here:

No solo, I was being lazy. I can send you that patch if you think it might be of use. Just bear in mind it's setup to sound like that over the song so it might need tweaking in terms of EQ.

Nice work!  Yeah I'd love that patch if you don't mind sending it over.   Thanks man!

Ah, gotcha. I usually run a split after the amp model with an IR as a "dry" then a cab block on my "wet" split. If you are just running an IR, you don't need a cab block. The IR takes the place of the cab model. 

Cool.  Great idea and info.  Thank you!

Here they are Michael.

Bear in mind I'm using one of Glen Delaune's IR's (The Bogner Xtacy) although you should get a similar tone using stock cabs. Both patches are the same apart from amp model. They're also set up to cut through in the mix when I'm playing along with the songs so you may want to tweak the EQ.

https://uk.line6.com/customtone/tone/2993882/ - Metallica Fuel

https://uk.line6.com/customtone/tone/2993884/ - AIC Them Bones

Have fun!

• 10 months later...
  • 1 year later...
21 hours ago, hellloalexp said:

Hello- I just downloaded these IR's and they are very helpful! Do you have any suggestions on what Helix head or pre-amp to use and EQ to nail that Master or Justice sound?
I can't quite come close to whats in your yt video. Thanks!

Cali IV Lead is what you want for that 1986-1988 Metallica sound.  Make sure you tweak the on-board 5 band graphic EQ that's on the last page of the amp's options.  Don't use too much of the bass control in the tone controls as the amp's design causes that control to overload the bass and interfere with sustain; use the GEQ instead to add the low end.  Stick a parametric EQ into the mix for fine-tuning to match the production, and if for some reason the gain isn't quite right or enough, add an OD to the front with only a little gain to juice it.  Finally, make sure that the impedance isn't set too low; try either auto or 1M settings to ensure you are getting a sufficiently hot signal.  MOP settings will need to have somewhat more mids than the Justice settings, which had massive EQ scooping in not just the mid-mids, but some of the frequencies around them too.