Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Preset Bpm For Delays?

sbeattie7

I am about to purchase an HD500X, but I am not sure how one would set the BPM for a delay (other than using the tap tempo button on the fly).  I currently use a Boss DD-20 GigaDelay which has 4 memory locations for presets.  For a typical set at church, I will save the BPM for each song in a preset and just click from one preset to the next as I play each song.  I can also set the regular manual setting ahead of time as well, effectively giving me 5 preset BPM settings.  Is something like this possible on the HD500X, or do I need to use the tap tempo before each song?  I normally don't use the milliseconds settings for delays. 

Any other information about setting delay times on the HD500X is appreciated.

Thanks!

There are a few things at play here.

You can have the HD500X's tap tempo set to preset or global. If you set it to global, when you tap a tempo in, it affects all presets. If you set it per preset, it only changes the BPM on that preset. That sounds like what you'd want to do.

You can also manually enter a BPM in each preset and save each preset with whatever tempo you want it at. If you tap in a new tempo, that gets temporarily overridden (assuming, again you have the tap tempo parameter set to preset). The BPM setting in each preset will affect any effect that has a note value used as a setting. So that could be virtually any time-based effect.

If you want to save delay with a specific millisecond value in a preset, you can do that as well. However, if you do that, that won't be affected by the tap tempo.

The long and short of it is that, yes, you should be able to do what you want to do.

Be aware... :o

With the HD500 you can not save the preset/patch tempo via HD Edit... hopefully they fixed it on the "X". :wacko:

You have to save it by going into the patch and editing the sub-settings (delay) and save it on the unit itself.

I too play at church and typically the song tempo is on the sheet music.

Of course "Tap Tempo" on the unit will always get you in sync if no click track is being used but I like to have a starting point... especially if I'm starting the song. :P

I got a chance to try out my new 500X last night and setup an initial preset/patch that includes a digital delay.  I set it to a dotted 1/8th delay, but I don't see where I can set the BPM for the preset?  Assuming I have the Tap Tempo setup per preset, do I need to use the Tap Tempo to set the BPM and then save the preset?  If so, how can I tell what the BPM value actually is?  Do I need to use the Edit software for that?  Ideally, one should just be able to use the dials to set the BPM.   I could see setting up a base preset with the amps and effects and then just copying that over to other presets, one for each song in the set, the only difference being the delay effect levels and BPM setting for the particular song.  With certain songs, the delay is really part of how it sounds and it needs to be in sync right from the start. 

scottyo78 - we don't use a click track, although we probably should at times.  :lol:   ...and yes, when I'm the one starting the song, I like to have the BPM already locked in too. 

I think I found my answer for setting the BPM, although it's a little buried in the main settings menu, page 6, Midi/Tempo Options.  Looks like if you enter the settings while in a preset, the BPM can be set and then saved with the Preset. 

3 - Tempo Sync

Preset

4 - Tempo

120 bpm

Yep, it's buried all right. :o -_-

It seemed the XT Live was easier to navigate. :rolleyes:

I believe if you just edit tempo, then all patches edited afterward will go into tempo when going into the settings (i.e. you don't have to scroll each time).

scottyo78 - yes, you are correct.  When editing a patch, holding the View button now goes straight to the Tempo settings.  

As for saving a tempo in the HD Edit software, it seems to be a bit flaky still.  Sometimes I would set it to something and it wouldn't "take" and end up being set to some other value.  Other times, it seemed to work.  

• 4 years later...

I know this is a old thread but I am having trouble with the preset tempo actually saving to the preset. I have the same patch loaded on to 5 different presets, this way I can set the delay for each song and just go from song to song. The problem in that when I go back to preset that I set before the tempo reads the right temp but it now actually lining up with the click. Anyone else?

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/7/2018 at 4:19 PM, kdenney13 said:

I know this is a old thread but I am having trouble with the preset tempo actually saving to the preset. I have the same patch loaded on to 5 different presets, this way I can set the delay for each song and just go from song to song. The problem in that when I go back to preset that I set before the tempo reads the right temp but it now actually lining up with the click. Anyone else?

If you haven't done this already, make sure on the SETUP view on page 6 of 12 that you have Tempo Sync:3 set to PRESET and NOT GLOBAL. 

Jd