Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Can Helix replicate the AxeFX Plex Detuned Multi-Tap Delay?

GazzaBloom

Not if front of my rig right now... but you can get pretty dang close. I would start with two "Elephant" delays running in a split path with the modulation up a bit. Try a 8th note and dotted-8th against each other. Add some plate verb to taste.

That effect has a little more than just delay going on. There is reverb and some chorusing effect as well. 

Helix has a multitap delay, but you may get closer running a couple of delays in parallel with also some particle and octo reverbs in there somewhere. I get a similar sound running 3 delays in series with the particle, octo, cave reverbs in series on a parallel path with the delays. I run those on my wet path. 

If you are looking for a single effect block solution for that sound, Helix does not have it. You can come really close replicating it with multiple blocks if you wanted. Your original question was if you can recreate it in Helix. You can probably come 95% close, so yes in my book. If you are looking for 100% replication, then no. 

But this is a single multi-tap delay block in the Axe, not multiple blocks together 

O.K. Helix has 2 multi-tap delay blocks available in stereo.

Multi-tap 4 allows for up to 4 seconds delay where 4 taps can be added at varying percentages of the base delay time, they can also be panned up to 100 left or right. Furthermore it includes the facility to add either Vibrato or Chorus to the tapped delay effect.

Multi-tap 6 has similar settings but instead of the Chorus/Vib option this one has 2 additional tap points for a total of 6. Other reverb and/or modulation FX can be add before or after these delays.

Seems like a reasonable place for you to start exploring the options of creating a tone similar to the one used on the Fractal unit. Maybe you could get hold of a copy of the tap, and other settings that were used, and modify them to use here.

EDIT: Just found this in the Axe-Fx II owner's manual.

"The Plex Detune is based on the Plex Delay (5.20.2 above) but adds four high-quality pitch shifters with a range of+/- 50 cents to the output of the delay taps. Like the LFOs of the Plex Delay, these shifters help create layered effect tails rich with pitch variations. With the following exceptions, the Plex Detune is identical to the Plex Delay."