Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

TS210 corrective EQ?

FarleyUK

So I've been reading around about people creating 'corrective EQs' to apply to speakers that are not necessarily flat response, in order to make them flat response.

Anyone got any ideas what this would be for the popular Alto TS210? Or how you would go about doing it (bearing in mind I'm not particularly 'technical minded' when it comes to frequencies etc.!)?

No speaker is TRULY flat response, but most modern designs come close enough that for all practical purposes they'll respond in a similar manner.  The only difference comes into play when they're positioned as floor monitors in which case the low end needs to be rolled off a bit due to bass coupling.  But most speakers have a DSP corrective setting for that.  I doubt you'd much care for a truly FLAT response as it wouldn't sound natural at all.

That's probably why you should take some "expert" opinions on the internet with a grain of salt.  Spending time on "corrective EQ" on a speaker just takes away from developing the listening skills necessary to dial in the tone you want.  It's just extra work with no particular real-world benefit.

When you find a solution that works for you and that speaker in your situation, also remember something somebody said on the (now deleted) Facebook version of this discussion. You are eq-ing the room, not just the speaker. So if you EQ to be "flat" at home, it might not be "flat" at the gig.

But if there are obvious problems inherent in the speaker (say, it's too boomy, or harsh in the upper midrange), then it might make sense to eq it a particular way all the time.

Good thing to do is to play a 'reference' HIFI track, you know very well, through the speakers. If it sound 'normal' and familiar to you, you better tweek your patches. If the reference track sound also boomy, it's more likely to be the room, like Peter said, and you better try and tweek your patches in another room or use the global EQ to get your patches sound right. ;-)

I use two TS212 and they don't sound 'boomy' when I play a HIFI reference track ;-) (of course, one cannot expect audiophile miracles for the price of these monitors)

Enjoy,

L.