Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Pod Hdx Desktop/bean? Pretty Please?!?

mr_slugworth

Forgive me if this has already been answered/discussed.  I did some searching both on Google and here but didn't come up with anything.

Are there any plans to release a POD HDX Desktop?

A short while ago I started feeling stale with the POD HD and went on a modeler spree.  I tried everything I could get my hands on short of an AxeFX (even tried a Kemper).  In the end, my POD HD bean is still here, and still my #1 source of direct tone.  I'm toying with the idea of just getting an HD500X, but I have really come to love the Bean form factor with its smaller size and power switch (versus the floor units) and bank up/down and patch ABCD buttons (versus the rack units).

Line 6, please update the POD HD Desktop with the extra DSP handling capacity of the HD500X!

I have the HD500 and to me it's really not worth the hassle to upgrade to the HDX. The DSP update is an increase of somewhere around 25% extra! Similar to upgrading the CPU in my PC

I don't feel the HD500 or the Bean are lacking in DSP but that's just me I guess. It's more than enough being able to put three reverbs with EQ etc in one patch, not that I do,  or 2 harmonists and a delay + corus in one patch. I believe there's definitely a diminishing return the more effects you add to the signal.

Still, I think it's a matter of time before they update the Bean, it has to be coming soon.

I'd still like to know if there's a way to put in the newer DSP into our existing gear.  I've upgraded and built enough computers that I think I can handle swapping out a chip.  Maybe I'll just open it up and see if I can buy a chip myself.

You can buy the chip by yourself, and even buy a better one than from the pod500x. BUT you must also find and install the firmware to stop limiting the pod's CPU..

They might have assigned a hard coded Percentage to each effect and amp model of a maximum hard coded number of the DSP available at 100%. They seem to like percentages they even used them in EQ and many other effects  :D. If you change the processor, the effects are still using the same percentage so no benefit will be derived unless they change the 100% to 125% or something like that, Just a guess.

That's not how it's typically done.  That's why I asked arislaf how he knows about this.  If everyone is just guessing then I'll buy a chip and try it, then tell everyone if it works or not.

I was just joking, but if I was to truly guess, I would think that the DSP available is based on what the CPU reports to the operating system so changing the CPU should be beneficial. I honestly can't see why arislaf says that software needs update also;  if he's correct, that would be a very sloppy implementation. 

arislaf is spot on...

DSP chips are a different animal than a PC CPU...They are very specialized and every revision of the chip generally has instruction set revisions...This is NOT a PC. It is an embedded device and the firmware is the OS among other very specialized things. There is no hardware abstraction layer like there is in Unix (Apple) or Windows and is NOT plug n' play like you guys seem to be assuming...What you think of as an OS is extremely lightweight because you do not have the overhead that you have in a typical PC CPU...because these are embedded devices...Not the same at all...

I took my PODHD Bean apart tonight.  The DSP is not socketed and permanently soldered in place.  There is no way to upgrade the hardware.

We're not talking about a major change to the DSP and it could be compatible with previous instruction sets.  We're not changing chip architectures so it may have worked with the current firmware.  But it's a moot point because the hardware can't be changed.