Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix LT sound quality issues

chris050177

Hi guys, pretty new to this new tech so apologies.

I have a Blackstar series 1 6L6 and Orange 212 closed back speaker and various pedals etc and thought it would be great to swap out the pedals for one machine that can do it all + be offer diff amps etc once connected right.

Anyway done some research etc and the best way is to utilise the Helix LT is to go straight from Helix 1/4 to Amp FX return , guiatr into Helix Guitar in, nice. Done this and literally nothing, no sound at all comes out, played around with the global setting etc but nothing. So tried the 4CM and sounded terrible, so went directly into the front of the amp from 1/4 out from Helix to Amp and guitar into Guitar in. Clean was very quiet, when selected the overdrive channels the sound was really high but again sounded really bad

. Really need some help, any tips on connections and settings on the a Helix to at least get me to a starting position? TBH I tried the Helix through headphones just to see and was very base heavy, not to bad though.

Cheers

Just to trouble-shoot, try plugging the 1/4" outs into something else (PA/Mixer) and run through some factory presets. Double-check all your cables straight into the front of your amp with the guitar to make sure everything is copacetic in that department. I don't know what level the loop is looking for on your amp, but there are settings in the Globals to adjust for line and instrument level, which can definitely cause volume issues. Also, check and make sure that the headphone output is giving you sounds that aren't awful with reasonable volume. There is always the possibility of a hardware issue, however there are A LOT of options in the box and its easy to skim over something import. 

I once had silence like in your first arrangement: Helix 1/4 out to Effects Return of Amp. The solution was simply to plug one end of an unused 1/4 cable into the Effects Send of the Amp.  For whatever reason, the Effect Return was disabled whenever the Effect Send was not plugged in. I don't know whether I was causing any damage or potential electrocution hazard though, so no promises as to the safety of it. It was a different amp than yours, but they might have the same automatic Effect Return disabling function.

• Upvote 1

Thanks for the help guys, tried that tip on leaving a cable in the send FX didn't work,meow ever if I put a cable into the guitar in of the amp it did work and doesn't sound to bad to be honest. Have to disable the cab effects in the presets etc, just missing a bit of clarity and a bit 2 bass like. Sure I could sort that in the EQ, what would be be best using the global EQ, amp effect EQ or adding on into the preset?

Thanks again for all your help

The first thing I would check is my cabling to make sure I was not coming out of a send/return loop or the like by accident instead of the 1/4 out. Next I would check the setting on my large volume knob, it should be at least at 12:00 and also make sure my expression pedal was pressed down for max volume. Next I would look at the "Ch Vol" on my amp block and see where that is. That setting has a huge impact on the output level of the Helix. Also look in Global Settings --> Ins/Outs --> '1/4" Outputs' and check whether it is set to Mic or Line. 'Mic' is the lower output setting.  If none of those things is a factor I would start swapping out my cables and guitar. 

Edit: Just wanted to note that the expression pedal does not need to be pressed down all the way during normal usage it is just one of those things that is easy to overlook when you are new to the device and having level issues. Particularly if you are not aware that the preset you are trying has a volume block assigned to it.

Thanks for the help guys, tried that tip on leaving a cable in the send FX didn't work,meow ever if I put a cable into the guitar in of the amp it did work and doesn't sound to bad to be honest. Have to disable the cab effects in the presets etc, just missing a bit of clarity and a bit 2 bass like. Sure I could sort that in the EQ, what would be be best using the global EQ, amp effect EQ or adding on into the preset?

Thanks again for all your help

Now that you mention it, it was the front input, not the Effect Send, where I inserted the disconnected cable. +1 you.

I had the same issue with lack of clarity, boominess, etc. The first thing is to make sure you are using a preamp block in the Helix rather than an amp block. Otherwise your signal going through the modeled preamp, modeled power amp, and then your physical power amp. I would think that should take care of 99% of it. How you EQ from there is up to personal preference. Personally, I would try to handle it entirely in the preamp block's tone controls if possible. If that wasn't enough, I would use an EQ block. I would not use global EQ for this because I might want to set up other presets that don't use the amp at all, and I would have to remember to turn the global EQ on and off depending on the context.

Edit: Also see HonestOpinion's comments above. The level of the signal you are sending to your amp is vital to how it reacts.

I think (not 100% certain) you have to use a dummy plug in the front end of most Blackstar tube amps. I had to do it on my HT Studio 20, and have heard same thing on other HT and Artisan series.