Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

I wonder what L6 has in store for Helix and Summer NAMM?

Lachdanan0121

I am sure there will be new amps/cabs/effects so I won't really mention them, lots of threads on that. I am mainly speaking about function/feature upgrades.

I hope to see one of the following, if not more: (in no particular order)

1. Multiple split paths along signal chains, instead of the "one" you get now.

2. Some kind of indicator that lets you know if you are "clipping" going into the input of any given FX block in the signal chain. I know some have asked for signal meter monitoring, which would cover this I think. 

3. Multiple mic positioning for the HX cabs. Perhaps mic angle as well, but I would be happy with a positioning at first. (not just distance)

4. HX reverbs.  (this is an upgrade, and not just more FX) including mono options.

5. Guitar input pad moved to per preset system.

6. I know others are wanting more Variax stuff, but I am not a Variax user so I can't really comment on that. 

I am pretty sure that at least some of this is possible, and I think would be things many users would like. I have voted on all the idealscales that are related to these features... I think. :) I am sure Helix Native will be at Summer NAMM, I am excited about that too. I am gonna grab that as soon as it hits the market. 

Post if I missed something that you may think may be at least addressed at Summer NAMM. 

Per patch switch layouts?

I'm with you on that zooey, keep the existing globals but if a patch contains a different set of options then use those instead.

The HD500X had a few settings that could be global or per preset, input impedance for example.

Craig

I don't expect any firmware releases to correspond to NAMM. Hardware, yes, but a software update isn't going to be a blockbuster release anyway. At this point, I figure L6 will just release updates when they're ready.

I don't know that Line 6 has ever announced anything at Summer NAMM... I wouldn't get your hopes up for anything major like that. Of course, Summer NAMM is at the end of June, so Helix Native should be hitting the streets around that time, so there is that. But I don't know that I'd expect anything in the way of announcements. Winter NAMM is always much bigger, more important show.

• Upvote 1

Summer NAMM is really not a big deal. A lot of companies don't even go.

I predict that they will neither introduce new hardware nor software.

They will hype Helix Native which will hopefully have been available 2 weeks by then.

They may have a minor firmware update, but I think it's too soon.

New hardware? I STILL think there's a market for a Helix bean, but doubt it will ever see the light of day.

I'd like to see a very inexpensive interface that is optimized for Helix Native, myself. I think that would have some appeal out there.

• Upvote 1

Summer NAMM at the end of June, that should be the time to realease Helix Native.

The launch for Native was tentatively predicted as "Spring 2017".

Well, this is from what I understand about spring - in the Northern Hemisphere, meteorological spring begins on 01 March 2017 and ends on 31 May 2017, but astronomical spring begins on 20 March 2017 and ends on 20 June 2017 - half way through the year.

I wouldn't expect to see anything else, as I think everyone is probably really busy with Native right now.

Summer NAMM is really not a big deal. A lot of companies don't even go.

I predict that they will neither introduce new hardware nor software.

They will hype Helix Native which will hopefully have been available 2 weeks by then.

They may have a minor firmware update, but I think it's too soon.

New hardware? I STILL think there's a market for a Helix bean, but doubt it will ever see the light of day.

I'd like to see a very inexpensive interface that is optimized for Helix Native, myself. I think that would have some appeal out there.

I'd have liked them to have continued the bean format - it's been my favorite - but even at the HD-X revision, they apparently stopped being able to fit it into the existing form factor as I understand it, which is why there was no bean HDx (and I was running into the DSP limitations of the HD left and right, trying to make full use of the amazing capabilities they'd built into that version... the HDx certainly solved that...)

That was a sad time for me; I didn't want the brain on the floor, specifically because I prefer a floor control situation wherein there is no audio signal going to the front - using the PODhd bean, I was able to keep the audio at the back (also thanks to my Line 6 wireless), and just the CAT5e cable with my shortboard plus extra EX1 expression pedal coming to the front.

I also couldn't convince myself to get the rack HDx... but my friend Fulcrum had gotten a hint from a call to Line 6; they assured him that they were not only not abandoning that product segment, but 'be patient; we're working on something' essentially was the message given to him, with the Line 6 person saying whatever they could without really saying anything.

That was a good day, hearing about that.

Then Helix news came.

Boom - wow!

I think the Interface aspect is extremely important; I've been saying that for a while now.

It would really compliment the software product(s) immensely - especially working in their analog impedance input circuit... and I continue to hope; something to allow remote control of Helix Native (like an attached Helix Control etc.)...

• Upvote 1

Theres a market for everything if you're willing to deal with a terrible return on investment. We blew out HD Beans at $199 at the end, if you remember. Back in '99 when computers weren't fast enough to track with negligible latency (unless you had Amp Farm on ProTools TDM), desktop PODs were a lifesaver. In 2010, computers were definitely fast enough. In 2017, we feel the studio environment is better served by a plug-in and audio interface with a decent 1M Ohm instrument input.

But never say never...

Pod in a watch...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-amARjIBdRI

• Upvote 1

Theres a market for everything if you're willing to deal with a terrible return on investment. We blew out HD Beans at $199 at the end, if you remember. Back in '99 when computers weren't fast enough to track with negligible latency (unless you had Amp Farm on ProTools TDM), desktop PODs were a lifesaver. In 2010, they were. In 2017, we feel the studio environment is better served by a plug-in and audio interface with a decent 1M Ohm instrument input.

But never say never...

That's fair!

I'd like to be able to "save" an Amp's settings  on Helix in the Amp options. 

That way I could tweak out an Amp just the way I really like it and then choose it any time from the list of Amps. Same with effects and cabs. 
I hate having to write every setting down or take pictures of every page of the settings in order to use it on another preset.  :)
Be nice to have "My Archnon" listed in the Amps or "My Digital Delay" in the Delays.

Me too, but how does that play with snapshots? I typically have most amp settings controlled by snapshots. Does a saved amp include settings for all snaps? What if the snaps in this patch are laid out completely differently than where you made it?

I like the idea in principle, but I don't see a clean shot here. Presumably that's why copying and pasting blocks doesn't​ work very well in a snapshot world, same issue.

Me too, but how does that play with snapshots? I typically have most amp settings controlled by snapshots. Does a saved amp include settings for all snaps? What if the snaps in this patch are laid out completely differently than where you made it?

I like the idea in principle, but I don't see a clean shot here. Presumably that's why copying and pasting blocks doesn't​ work very well in a snapshot world, same issue.

Well, the Snapshot of your amp settings changes between Snapshots. No big deal. 

Let's say Snap1 I want to use "My Archon". And Snap 2 I want to add more drive and master volume to make it a lead sound.  That's what I would do. Exactly the same as I do now with the Factory "Archon" amp.  But if I had saved "My Archon" with all my tweaks for bass, mids, treble, presence, sag, hum, depth, etc.   then I would automatically be starting from MY reference point of what I feel is the "sweet spot" of the amp to my ears. :)

How about this logic:

- Saved settings would be one snapshot's worth of settings, only.

- When you recalled them, or added a block and got your personal defaults, they'd be applied to the current snapshot, only, other snapshots would be unaffected.

- Which parameters were controlled by snapshots and other controllers​ would also not be affected.

So to recall a block with multiple snapshots​, you'd switch to and recall each of them separately. That way you're free of problems with different snapshot layouts.

You'd also need to set up any controllers manually, including snapshots. Otherwise they could be conflicts between controller settings in different snapshots.

Make sense? Still probably a useful feature, but there are definitely some wrinkles to it.

... In 2017, we feel the studio environment is better served by a plug-in and audio interface with a decent 1M Ohm instrument input.

Where do I preorder that interface?! ;) hopefully with the same patented auto switching input circuit as Helix!?!

Where do I preorder that interface?! ;) hopefully with the same patented auto switching input circuit as Helix!?!

HA! yeah... well, you could buy a used HD Bean... I think it has auto Z on the input... which can be set manually.

Theres a market for everything if you're willing to deal with a terrible return on investment. We blew out HD Beans at $199 at the end, if you remember. Back in '99 when computers weren't fast enough to track with negligible latency (unless you had Amp Farm on ProTools TDM), desktop PODs were a lifesaver. In 2010, they were. In 2017, we feel the studio environment is better served by a plug-in and audio interface with a decent 1M Ohm instrument input.

But never say never...

Instrument and Variax input!