Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

volume block woes..

theredguitar6

HELIX RACK

Can't get me head around this one.

My volume blocks seem to lose the ability to go to 100%

If i build a live preset or use an existing one i normally add a volume block - usually at the output end - just to fine tune with changes in stage level.

When i set it up - all is well - i have 2 expression pedals ( a line 6 + and ernie ball jnr) and it doesn't matter which i use, all is good.  I get a full sweep from 0% ( or maybe 50%) right up to 100%.  all cool.

However as i start to use the preset and snapshots - at some point i will lose the ability to achieve 100% ... and find that it will maybe max out at some where between 60-80%.  Nothing i can do will bring it back to 100% other than either (a) a reboot - which doesn't always help   or (b) remove and re install the vol block ...which does restore it back to 100% ...but then it will go again sooner or later.

I have tried  three different pedals - doesn't make any difference.

those pedals all work fine on wah

I've tried swtiching the block between exp1 & exp2  on the floor controller.  -- same thing

Tried different cables etc etc

I usually seems occur if after i modify something ... a snap shot for example.

I am going mad here??  yes!

But what am i doing wrong.

By the way - maybe coincidence it seems to be worse after 2.21? .... i was also getting a lot of crashes yesterday so reinstalled firmware etc etc.

Unit is more stable but vol block issue remains. 

When the volume block becomes problematic, does it show brackets around the volume percentage? My thought is that you have maybe inadvertently gave snapshots control of the percentage, along with whichever expression assigned to it. 

Also, go to the volume block after it has become problematic. Hold down the knob below the percentage. That will show what the expression pedal min/max is set to. Do any of those values have brackets around them? If your expression can't get above 80% for example, then the max percentage should show 80%. If it was changed from 100%, then you may have programmed something to change that max percentage. 

What do you have the Global Settings --> EXP Pedals --> "EXP [] Pedal Position" parameter set to, snapshot, preset, or global? That could impact what you are seeing. Other than that it almost sounds like the Helix is losing the auto-calibration on these external pedals, although you would expect that to result maybe in a couple of percent off, not 20%-40%. Does unplugging and replugging the expression pedal restore the normal sweep range?

Also, you say you are using two external expression pedals. Is it possible that the volume control is sometimes not being controlled by the one of those two pedals you think it is? I know that is unlikely but worth asking, particularly if you have been swapping different pedals in.

I would definitely check out jbuhajla's suggestion to investigate the Position parameter on the volume block to make sure it is not assigned a min/max value. You can also look it up under the Controller Assign tab in the Editor.

However as i start to use the preset and snapshots - at some point i will lose the ability to achieve 100% ... and find that it will maybe max out at some where between 60-80%. 

One question, when you say "it will maybe max out at some where between 60-80%". Is that what the Position setting on the volume block is reading or are you just hearing a decrease in the volume and assuming it is the volume block? If it is an estimate and the block is reading 100% then perhaps something else is going on.

Thanks everyone for your replies.

Just to answer the questions.

Yes - when it becomes problematic it is still showing brackets around the percentage. -- it always does? ...is that incorrect?

No - when it is problematic - if i go to the min/max parameters they are still  0%-100% - but the pedal just won't achieve anywhere near 100%

global settings -exp pedal parameters normally set to "preset"  but i'm going to try 'global'  as i'm starting to wonder where flicking through different presets is freaking it out?

Getting worried now - gig tonight - switched on the rack this morning and did "nothing" just left it for an hour - came to use it and it was frozen - arrgghh - losing a bit of faith now.

Back up rig tonight i think!

Ok ...so i took the belt and braces approach.

Deleted ALL user presets - all IR's.

Re installed to TWO  ( only 2) presets that i might need after having removed the volume blocks before saving. 

Rebuilt the presets using slightly stripped down versions and then added new volume blocks.

Tested it and it all seemed fine.

OFF to GIG!

The GOOD news- Helix sounded awesome and no issues with VOL block.

The BAD news - after sound check all was good. I left the stage and left everything turned on . Came back on stage about a minute before first set  - NO OUTPUT from Helix at all.  Not FOH or my monitor amp. Panic ! ..checked all connections - checked helix operations -all good - checked vol function -all good still showing 0-100% when moving pedal. OK - so reboot - and it all came back- phew!

First set - fine, no probs

Second set - fine  - until.......last song  (encore in fact) ...half way through the song, i became aware i was stuck on the same sound .  Looked at floor controller - not changing snapshots - or even presets.  Looked rack - BLACK SCREEN!!....nothing.... i still have sound but can't do anything with it .

So couldn't do the solo  ...and finished the gig feeling ( again) really disappointed with Helix.

In the short (month) that i've had it ..... 3 gigs and it's played up at every one  ,  3 studio sessions  - played up every time -  I sit with it most days working on sounds and every day it freezes at least once or disconnects from editor etc etc

SURELY MY RACK IS FAULTY?

If it were me, I would try the 2.21 firmware update again, and make sure you are restoring to factory after the firmware update is complete. I restore to factory before I do the firmware update just to be extra sure about the update process. I almost sounds like a factory restore was not performed after a firmware update. 

If that is not the case, open a support ticket with Line 6 and they will take care of you.