Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

String action on Variax

GringoStarr

I had my Variax standard came back from being serviced and it came back sounding worse than before. The string height was raised almost to max on the 6,5,4 strings and there's still major fret buzz. I've owned a few guitars and talked to others who agree, I've never seen a difference in string height as drastic as I've seen this one. The 6th sting is about max the 5th is somewhat lower, the 4th string is raised higher, 3 about the same and the 2,1st are lowest about where I like it. This seems to me that the setup was done to compensate for something wrong with the neck or frets.

Anybody have any ideas?

3 cheers for quality control.

Without looking at it, all anyone can do is guess, but it certainly sounds like it was set up by someone who had no idea what they were doing...

It could be just about anything. Not enough neck relief, one or more high frets, poorly cut nut slots (too low if you're buzzing all over the place), etc. The list goes on...