Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

using expression 3 as an on/off switch

markblack77

I have an old what that i converted into an expression pedal.

Is it possible to use the switch on wah to turn on/off the effect.

having the expression going into EXP2 via one cable.

and a separate cable going into EXP3 acting as an on/off switch?

cheers

mark

Absolutely! I run mine just like that, it's slick! Just takes a 3PDT switch, a jack, a resistor and a few minutes with a soldering iron. I posted the details of how I did it here:

http://line6.com/support/topic/26725-toe-switching-with-an-external-exp-pedal/

Enjoy!

@Verne-Bunsen thanks for that. perfect.

out of interest could you do that with this type of switch? (I have a spare one)

s-l400.jpg

Hmm... I'm not familiar with that switch but at a guess I'd say the middle is common and it toggles between the two outer lugs. I don't think that will do it for you, as you need to route both tip and sleeve through the switch and that will only do one...

I've been thinking about it more and maybe that switch could be made to work? If it switches like I think (center common, switching between connection with the two outer lugs, which is just a guess without putting a meter on it...) then I think you could run two wires from the jack sleeve lug, one directly to one of the outer lugs and one with the 10k resistor inline to the other outer lug, then run the center lug to the jack tip lug. In this way the path from tip to sleeve would be a dead short in one switch position (through the direct wire) and 10k ohms in the other (through the resistor). If you have some alligator clips it would be pretty easy to give it a whirl, check it out either on a meter or just using EXP position indication on Helix.

I've been thinking about it more and maybe that switch could be made to work? If it switches like I think (center common, switching between connection with the two outer lugs, which is just a guess without putting a meter on it...) then I think you could run two wires from the jack sleeve lug, one directly to one of the outer lugs and one with the 10k resistor inline to the other outer lug, then run the center lug to the jack tip lug. In this way the path from tip to sleeve would be a dead short in one switch position (through the direct wire) and 10k ohms in the other (through the resistor). If you have some alligator clips it would be pretty easy to give it a whirl, check it out either on a meter or just using EXP position indication on Helix.

work a treat, thanks.