Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

HD500X vs Firehawk for first multi effects unit

moonman079

I am going tomorrow to pick one of the 2 up. I just can't decide which would be better for my first multi unit. After almost 25 years I am just tired of the big boards. I am completely new to the digital world. I plan on using it with my fender bassbreaker. I love my clean tone and light crunch. I plan on using my amps preamp for those and would like to use some of the amp sims to cover the several different high gain tones I need. Plus I want to use the effects.

Which would work better for my needs? Also how would I need to hook it up to my amp to use the way I want. Any advice would greatly be appreciated.

Tired of carrying huge gear but you are still going to use an amp?

Go with the 500.

And don't use the amp. Run direct to the pa.

Setup, sound check, and tear down will take you a combined total less than 10 minutes.

• Upvote 1

The HD500X seems like the better option for my needs. I really like my bassbreaker for certain tones it can get. I just want the ability to have a few of the amp sims available. As well as the effects.

The only pedal I plan to keep on my board is my Friedman BE-OD.

Another consideration is the editor platform. The HD500X editor runs on a PC/Mac and requires a USB connection; there is no mobile device option. The Firehawk FX editor runs on an iOS/Android mobile device and uses Bluetooth; there is no computer based editor. I've seen many users express their disappointment about this after purchasing either the HD500X or the Firehawk. They realize too late that the editor platform they chose is not the one they wanted.

Simple Answer:

PODHD will sound much better but will be difficult to learn how to use it and get the sounds you want.

Firehawk will be easy to use but won't sound as good.  It's the older POD technology.

You make the choice...  Everyone here will help you learn the PODHD.  You will get so frustrated with it at first that you will want to return it.  Then you'll fight through it and be happy you did.  We've seen this a lot of times.

You will get so frustrated with it at first that you will want to return it. Then you'll fight through it and be happy you did. We've seen this a lot of times.

Damn near 100% I'd say...easy it ain't, even for someone familiar with modelers, but the sounds are in there. Your job? Find them...;)

I think we need to stop saying how difficult the unit is (although, older entries will still show in Google search results) because it really does scare people. 

We should reword it somehow ---- 

The unit may seem difficult at first. But then, at some point, everything clicks. It's like that "AH HA moment", where it all comes together and you kick yourself for not getting it sooner because it is all quite easy to understand. 

The hardest part is right now. At the start. Deciding which unit to get, and then the initial setup (things like the global settings, or an amp vs 4cm vs direct).  

Once you have that, everything else will vary with based on your own personal needs. 

Obviously, if you want to make "artist tones", it can be difficult to dial in. If you want to make "ambient tones", it can be difficult to get the right combination. But if you are a straight ahead Rock Icon from the mid 80's and 90's --- how f'n difficult can it be. 

Think of it -- Black Sabbath went on stage. Iommi had a treble booster and a Marshall. Until he gave them both up for a Laney. 

But if you look at the patches some of these guys make, they are using 8 blocks, adding eq after eq and echos and delays and everything under the sun, trying to mimic what was done in one step Guitar => Amp. 

• Upvote 1

What Pianoguyy said times 100 lol! Its a little difficult at first but so is playing the head to Take 5 on the guitar.Its a saxaphone line.

It is certainly a lot easier to program any guitar processor than it is to play the damn guitar.

surely yes...

I, you and other old guys are lucky to have learned to play an instrument well before the digital modeling units were offered on the market..

problem is that some of nowdays guys pass lot of their time (if not all time) programming their digital unit in the vain hope to get the same results of their heroes..

and they dedicate no time to study and practice their instruments, which is the most important thing of all, and it's what their heroes did to become what they are..

with hard work

An interesting thought. I don't know either what it's like to grow up with the technology available today. I also don't know the consequences to a person's thought processes an always available technology from birth might be. But it can't be that difficult to constantly remind yourself that technology, a guitar processor in this case, is only a tool. You still have to use this helpful tool to try and create something unique, or at least a clone of something unique.

As far as creating something being hard work, I disagree. Working at it hard might be required, but if you really enjoy the guitar, and music in general, none of it is hard work, which can be a phrase with negative connotations, but rather an absolutely delightful and intensely focusing activity. That's how it is for me anyway. Without this component, why bother?

I ended up going with the 500x. I have just downloaded the manual. I was wondering what all software I needed to download? When I looked on the site there are a lot of downloads. I have the line 6 monkey and the pod had edit downloaded.

I ended up going with the 500x. I have just downloaded the manual. I was wondering what all software I needed to download? When I looked on the site there are a lot of downloads. I have the line 6 monkey and the pod had edit downloaded.

Download Monkey. 

It will give you easy access to the proper downloads. You do not need the two "workbenches" that appear on the list. 

The best advise I can give is to start small. Decide on an initial amplification method (frfr, amp, etc), watch some YouTube vids on patch creation and see how the puzzle is logically put together. DL a patch or two from Customtone (yes it will probably sound bad) but see how it was put together and what adjustments are needed for you.

Most of all and better than the manual is this site. Old posts are a treasure trove of knowledge and the folks here can give a good answer to a reasonable question.

and walk away from the editing to play don't let it eat your practice/jamming time.

I got the manuals downloaded and podfarm. I had to do updates for almost an hour but they are done. I had an unexpected trip to the dentist so I doubt I mess with it tonight. But plan to get to work tomorrow.

I'm going to watch some vids and read in the manuals tonight. So hopefully I will be up and going in a few days.

Further to hurghanico's comments, Pod Farm has nothing to do with the Pod HD. If you just downloaded the software without purchasing a license you will find that it does not work. If you did purchase a license and now realize it wasn't what you thought you can obtain a refund. Contact Line 6.

If you purchased a license because you plan to use Pod Farm independently then that's different and you should be happy with it.

You need the POD HD500X Edit program. Once you have the HD500X device and run Line 6 Monkey it will help you download and install the editor.

However, you can download it now from the Downloads section of this website. Select POD HD500X Edit in the middle (software) field. You can even run it offline, before you get your HD500X device, to get a feel for its operations. You can find the editor manual online as well.

An interesting thought. I don't know either what it's like to grow up with the technology available today. I also don't know the consequences to a person's thought processes an always available technology from birth might be. But it can't be that difficult to constantly remind yourself that technology, a guitar processor in this case, is only a tool. You still have to use this helpful tool to try and create something unique, or at least a clone of something unique.

As far as creating something being hard work, I disagree. Working at it hard might be required, but if you really enjoy the guitar, and music in general, none of it is hard work, which can be a phrase with negative connotations, but rather an absolutely delightful and intensely focusing activity. That's how it is for me anyway. Without this component, why bother?

Interesting discussion going on here! In learning Bass it never ends building technique but a plateau can be reached by settling on what you know thus far and putting practice aside for Production.

When I played in working bands as a young fellow it turned into a job for me, still a blast but along comes a family etc.etc. And resign to use a couple of 4 track machines.

With Computer technology the creative recording got  shifted to high gear.

When all you do is create it is total joy. When it feels like a drudgery I move on.

What happened is I realized that I was not a bassist anymore and worked on guitar more and bass was there for overdubs just like a real guitarist.

Something happened, I got inspired to go back to bass basics and started working on techniques ( Billy Sheehan talking about being a creative practicer) Practice doesn't have to be a chore!

So, I watched youtube videos on bass and practiced the basics.

My Music Computer now is my teaching device. No regrets.

Well not quite, I realize that there is alot to be said about specializing and taking that to the stratasphere.

When you get caught up in technology as a means and you are wearing all the hats you might be lucky to have lift off.

As soon as it become hard work you stop because it is a drudgery.

Usually you will find there is too much impedimentia (overly complicated setup that impedes your creativity or too much gear involved to be well versed in)

Strip it back and you will fee the joy once more.

It includes the tweak fests like Software or modelers and the University degree needed to run a DAW and the lifetime experience being a recordist and  mix Engineer as well as the quirks of Mastering. 

All these pull you away from total mastery of your instrument and a valuable lesson for any up and coming.

There are plenty of people good at everything team up with that guy!

Interesting discussion going on here! In learning Bass it never ends building technique but a plateau can be reached by settling on what you know thus far and putting practice aside for Production.

When I played in working bands as a young fellow it turned into a job for me, still a blast but along comes a family etc.etc. And resign to use a couple of 4 track machines.

With Computer technology the creative recording got  shifted to high gear.

When all you do is create it is total joy. When it feels like a drudgery I move on.

What happened is I realized that I was not a bassist anymore and worked on guitar more and bass was there for overdubs just like a real guitarist.

Something happened, I got inspired to go back to bass basics and started working on techniques ( Billy Sheehan talking about being a creative practicer) Practice doesn't have to be a chore!

So, I watched youtube videos on bass and practiced the basics.

My Music Computer now is my teaching device. No regrets.

Well not quite, I realize that there is alot to be said about specializing and taking that to the stratasphere.

When you get caught up in technology as a means and you are wearing all the hats you might be lucky to have lift off.

As soon as it become hard work you stop because it is a drudgery.

Usually you will find there is too much impedimentia (overly complicated setup that impedes your creativity or too much gear involved to be well versed in)

Strip it back and you will fee the joy once more.

It includes the tweak fests like Software or modelers and the University degree needed to run a DAW and the lifetime experience being a recordist and  mix Engineer as well as the quirks of Mastering. 

All these pull you away from total mastery of your instrument and a valuable lesson for any up and coming.

There are plenty of people good at everything team up with that guy!

Way off topic, but:

One thing I find I never, ever do since I started playing guitar again a few years back, is to sit down and practice for the sake of practicing. My main focus is always on composition and creativity first, and if I see something in my mind that I'm physically unable to execute, that's when practicing comes in. Then persistence. Then stubbornness. But this all stems from creativity, and of course a nice tone, which is a secondary priority, that today's technology easily provides. When I first started learning guitar, however, I'm certain I practiced for it's own sake; I probably even thought it a chore, now that I think of it, and thanks to you for pointing this out more aptly. But I kept at it, and kept bothering with it. Hmmm. Don't know why that is. It contradicts what I said above. I guess when you get to a point where the physical skills of playing become second nature and seemingly impossible to forget, the amount of freedom you can allocate towards creativity increases, and practicing to develop physical skills diminishes.

Bass guitar is a nice instrument to play. Never really learned to play it. I just play it like I play a six-string, cause it seems to work for me that way. No way could I play the bass without a pick. Lol.

Since I got Helix, I don't tweak things nearly as much as when I used the HD. I can't say whether that's because I've learned to temper my tweaking self, or the fact that Helix takes much less effort to get the sound you're looking for.