Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

How to not sound Kermit the Froggy?

StruckingFuggle

One thing I can't seem to shake with Helix is the "Kermit the Frog", back-of-the-throat'ish tone.  

I've gone through every Redwirez Big Box and 3 Sigma IR that I have, every mic combination using the Mesa V30 cab.  I can make it worse, or less worse, but I can never seem to get it to go away.  It gets boomy with the ribbons, and harsher with the dynamics, and gets more "throaty" as you move the mic away.

Four different guitars, very different pickups. Just trying to get a good quality rock tone, and a higher-gain heavy-ish sound.  

Back to basics.  Gain pedal + Amp + impulse (or stock cab), 1/4 out to Line 6 L2t channel strip (floor mode, flat EQ).  No other effects, no splits, 

Once again, I feel like there is one more knob missing that I just can't tweak.  So frustrated.

Is it the L2ts?  Anybody else hear this?  How do you get rid of Kermit?

I find the Sigma IR s to be extremely nasal and the Redwirz are oldish tech , I would recommend you give the recent Ownhammer Mesa IRs a shot, they really put life in helix amps, specifically the California Duo at

Www.ownhammer.com

• Upvote 1

I find the Sigma IR s to be extremely nasal and the Redwirz are oldish tech , I would recommend you give the recent Ownhammer Mesa IRs a shot, they really put life in helix amps, specifically the California Duo at

Www.ownhammer.com

Man, good call.  Today I downloaded the Ownhammer Core tone bundle and found the REcto V70A OH1 and OH2.  Wow.  Night and day difference from the stock V30 cab.  You're not kidding.  It's like the amp sound finally came to life.  The POD Xt sound is gone!

• Upvote 1

After having a day to go through the Marshall and Mesa IRs that are part of the core tone library, I just want to say WOW.  The IR mixes are friggin fantastic.  Seriously, I think this is exactly the knob I've been looking to tweak, and just couldn't find.    With the other IR packs I've purchased or downloaded, I found a few that were usable.  With the  Ownhammer mixes, it's like one after the other after the other is kick butt.  I have to search through through them to find one I don't like, as opposed to going "nope, nope, nope, nope, welll.....nope, nope, nope"  

Heavy tone: Scream 808, Soldano Lead, Recto V70 OH1-5, and a little vintage delay for depth.  Done.    

It was so easy.  No parametric EQing before and after the amp.  No putzing around with every single tiny parameter of each amp/cab.  Just dial it up, set the level, boom.

So glad I tried these.  Tone is subjective, and the next guy might listen to the Ownhammers and hate them, but for me these are the missing link between sounding like a Pod and sounding like an amp.  

• Upvote 1

After having a day to go through the Marshall and Mesa IRs that are part of the core tone library, I just want to say WOW.  The IR mixes are friggin fantastic.  Seriously, I think this is exactly the knob I've been looking to tweak, and just couldn't find.    With the other IR packs I've purchased or downloaded, I found a few that were usable.  With the  Ownhammer mixes, it's like one after the other after the other is kick butt.  I have to search through through them to find one I don't like, as opposed to going "nope, nope, nope, nope, welll.....nope, nope, nope"  

Heavy tone: Scream 808, Soldano Lead, Recto V70 OH1-5, and a little vintage delay for depth.  Done.    

It was so easy.  No parametric EQing before and after the amp.  No putzing around with every single tiny parameter of each amp/cab.  Just dial it up, set the level, boom.

So glad I tried these.  Tone is subjective, and the next guy might listen to the Ownhammers and hate them, but for me these are the missing link between sounding like a Pod and sounding like an amp.  

Glad you are happy now. 

I have been splitting my signal and using a 4x12 mesa cab on top and backing off the mic to add space, and put ownhammer v70A IR on the bottom.. sounds pretty fat