Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

No input on Helix LT, loses all sound?

ceccez

Hi! I wrote this to Facebook group also.. I have some sort of problem with new Helix LT. I don't remember the serial number of the unit. So: I start the LT and I play and edit the sounds normally. Then all of a sudden sound to the speakers stops completely. I check that everything should be ok, but no signal comes in to the LT. If I put tuner on, no input signal comes there. I tried also to restart LT several times. Is the unit faulty? That has happened few times before, and after a while sounds come back normally.. I checked also my guitar and it's working too. Problem occurs usually once when I start the LT and then I can play long time. I have to wait about 5-15 minutes and then sounds come back with like "popping" sound. I opened a ticket, but can I try anything myself?

Hi! I wrote this to Facebook group also.. I have some sort of problem with new Helix LT. I don't remember the serial number of the unit. So: I start the LT and I play and edit the sounds normally. Then all of a sudden sound to the speakers stops completely. I check that everything should be ok, but no signal comes in to the LT. If I put tuner on, no input signal comes there. I tried also to restart LT several times. Is the unit faulty? That has happened few times before, and after a while sounds come back normally.. I checked also my guitar and it's working too. Problem occurs usually once when I start the LT and then I can play long time. I have to wait about 5-15 minutes and then sounds come back with like "popping" sound. I opened a ticket, but can I try anything myself?

I would start by backing everything up (bundle, setlists, presets, IRs) taking note of my global settings and IR positions and doing a global reset FS 9&10 on the floor version. If that does not help I would go through the entire firmware upgrade and then global reset process.

Apparently there's a bug in the firmware that afflicts a very small percentage Helix units. The bug surfaced on my Helix after upgrading to 2.20. I spent hours uninstalling and reinstalling the firmware multiple times and in different manners in an attempt to make the problem go away but I had no luck. I eventually submitted a service ticket. The service tech had me try several more things but when nothing worked he said that Line 6 did not have a solution to the problem so they were going to replace my unit. One week later I was rocking a new Helix and it's been problem-free ever since. Customer support was very responsive and quick to have me back up and running. They score an A+++ in my book.

Below is a link to the thread I started after the problem cropped up and a couple of other people have chimed in with the same issue. This is the first time I've heard of it occurring on an LT unit.

http://line6.com/support/topic/26539-v2200-helix-loses-the-input-signal-while-scrolling-through-presets/

@MojoAxe, not to disbelieve you, I don't understand. There's a firmware bug that affects only some units? How is that possible? If reinstalling the firmware doesn't fix it, then logically that says the firmware you had when the defect was happening is the same as what you have now. What's different is the physical device.

Or is this a level of firmware that's hard coded, and not included in the firmware update process?

@MojoAxe, not to disbelieve you, I don't understand. There's a firmware bug that affects only some units? How is that possible? If reinstalling the firmware doesn't fix it, then logically that says the firmware you had when the defect was happening is the same as what you have now. What's different is the physical device.

Or is this a level of firmware that's hard coded, and not included in the firmware update process?

I probably didn't word that well.  The defect is obviously somewhere in the hardware.  The microprocessors used on the Helix have millions (billions?) of imbedded transistors.   Maybe a very small number of microprocessors have a circuitry defect or something different on the silicone.  It could be that earlier versions of the firmware didn't utilize this area of the processor but now Ver. 2.20 does which causes the problem to manifest itself. I'm not a computer scientist or software guru so really don't have a clue.  

My Helix worked just fine until I updated to Version 2.20 at which point it would lose the input signal while scrolling presets.  Turning it off and back on would reset it until it would eventually fail again.  I wiped all Line 6 software from my PC and downloaded it again, reinstalled 2.20 multiple times and nothing cured it.  I reverted back to 2.11 and the Helix worked fine and would not fail.  I reinstalled 2.20 again and it failed within minutes.  I'm not the only person who has experienced this same problem, so there must be some different in the hardware of a very small number of units.  

I did my best to troubleshoot and resolve the problem before contacting customer support.  Once I did, they had me run through additional troubleshooting steps and when all else failed, they replaced my unit (the replacement Helix works perfectly).  They have my defective Helix unit now, so hopefully they can use it to identify the source of the problem.  

Again, a big thumbs up to Line 6 for reacting quickly.  I'd have to say that this is probably the best example of customer service that I've experienced.   

Line 6 must have figured out what to change. I had the same scrolling, loss of input issue and I shipped my unit to them. They could only have worked on a few hours based on the UPS tracking, and I got my unit back. Unless they somehow curled the edges of the original screen protectors which I never removed.

Great customer service. No problems since.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

I got a brand new LT today, updated to 2.30....after 5 minutes I scrolled the Presets.......and with a high pitched peeeww, the sound was gone, and instead, I heard a constant de de de de de de, not connected to the volume knob.......That was my intro to the Helix LT......10 minutes of pleasure and now I have to bring it back......grrrrr...

I got a brand new LT today, updated to 2.30....after 5 minutes I scrolled the Presets.......and with a high pitched peeeww, the sound was gone, and instead, I heard a constant de de de de de de, not connected to the volume knob.......That was my intro to the Helix LT......10 minutes of pleasure and now I have to bring it back......grrrrr...

What firmware was on the unit before your updated? Did you do a system reset?

Delivery was Firmware 2.21 and direct from there, I updated to 2.30......off course I tried a reset and a new installment of the 2.30, but 

nothing helped.....no sound through and just this anoying ticking.....15 Minutes without power didn't help either.....it is stone dead.

That was my first 10 minutes with the Helix LT and now I have to wait two -three weeks at least.... What a bringdown....

• 4 months later...