Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Surely - My Helix rack is faulty?

theredguitar6

My woes continue ....

More 'random' issues at last nights gig.  Complete loss of output from all outputs - (cured by reboot) . Then later,  total freeze and BLACK SCREEN half way through last song.  Couldn't do anything but still had ONE sound.  

I realised driving back from gig

In the short (month) that i've had it ..... 3 gigs and it's played up at every one  ,  3 studio sessions  - played up every time -  I sit with it most days working on sounds and every day it freezes at least once or disconnects from editor etc etc

SURELY MY RACK IS FAULTY?

Regular daily problems are:

Freezing when changing presets and disconnecting from editor ( randomly)

Random problems are:

Black screen !.... happened 3 times

Loss of output (total output)  happened twice  - both times the unit has been standing idle for maybe 20-30mins

Volume block issues - see other post. ...seems to have cured since my recent actions

Floor controller - no display  ( happened once)

What have i done?:

When i got unit .. i upgraded to 2.20 ..all ok  ( but a few niggles)

Then upgraded to 2.21  ... lots of niggles now.

Upgraded editor etc 

Initially i'd been saving bundle on upgrade but realised that might be a bad idea.....so saved setlists and important presets individually.  Re installed 2.21  ...and re loaded set lists.

Last attempt to cure ...  deleted ALL presets  back to factory and just reloaded 2 presets for last nights gig ...and a couple of IR's.

but still problems!

Totally lost confidence ... i love the sounds but surely it has to be more stable than this?

Is it the rack? ...is it the controller?

Anyone else had similar issues?

Floor model here. Very stable.

Latest editor...... 2.21

Latest updater..... 1.11

Latest firmware.... 2.21

I would go through presets and write down all parameters. Take photos of screen etc.

Last, you said reset. Make sure you do a 5 - 6 reset. (9 - 10 on floor model).

Make sure floor controller was off and did rack ask you to update foot controller? (After rack update complete and reconnecting and powering on controller)

Then re-make your presets manually.

Just thinking out loud here. I read your post and seemed you did everything right, but never hurts to ask.

I think you really need to put up a support ticket and let Line 6 help you out here! It's definitely not normal to have all these errors.

It's such a pitty to have these experiences with such a fine machine. I'm sure Line 6 will do everything to help you out and to show you that the Helix can be stable and trusted ;-) Put the ticket!

Thanks for the replies.

I guess i just wanted to hear from folk who've NOT had issues - particularly when using live....and i do use fairly BIG presets so that i can use 6-7 snapshots instead of switching presets all the time

Looking through the 'helix bug issues' topic ...there are some people having the same issues.  Loss of audio , black screen and freezing ... they're just not having ALL the issues in the same unit.

I WILL contact tech support.

I absolutely love the sounds and the whole concept ...my pedal board used to be the size of mars! ..

Just desperately want it to be stable.

I have had no such issues with my Rack, been running it since Dec 2015. in fact, I haven't even had issues like yours with BETA firmware!

Have you re-flashed the firmware, re-set everything, loaded patches and Its back in?

Also, did you have Control on during a firmware update? That could cause a problem. Disconnect Control during updates.

Using Helix Floor since last October. I play out twice a month, with the Helix being left on for at least 3 hours at a time (not including rehearsals/home practices). I also use patches with 7-8 snapshots. I've had zero issues. It has been completely rock-solid for me.....*touches wood*. I would certainly contact support.

I have had no such issues with my Rack, been running it since Dec 2015. in fact, I haven't even had issues like yours with BETA firmware!

Have you re-flashed the firmware, re-set everything, loaded patches and Its back in?

Also, did you have Control on during a firmware update? That could cause a problem. Disconnect Control during updates.

Yes Peter,  i have tried all of that several times.

It's heartening to hear that you guys have had zero ( or very few ) issues  over quite long periods.

I'm going to request a replacement unit as something is most clearly ...very wrong with mine.

Thanks all

You probably already did this but I don't see any specific mention of the FS 5&6 global reset being run. A lot of these symptoms sound like what you might see if the global reset was not completed properly (backups need to be done first). I would also try alternate USB ports for the Editor related freezes. And as others have stated, if all else fails contact L6 support.

Edit: Just noticed fido083 recommended the global reset as well.

You probably already did this but I don't see any specific mention of the FS 5&6 global reset being run. A lot of these symptoms sound like what you might see if the global reset was not completed properly (backups need to be done first). I would also try alternate USB ports for the Editor related freezes. And as others have stated, if all else fails contact L6 support.

Edit: Just noticed fido083 recommended the global reset as well.

Yep, did the global resets each time also ...more recently did full factory preset reset as well. + global ....and still the same.

good point about the USB port  - thanks

Interestingly .. there's another recent thread on here about loss of audio when scrolling presets ...

There are several users that are experiencing similar issues on there -- we're all using slightly different language to describe similar problems though -- loss of audio. Those units seem to have ended up back at line 6 as no amount or firmware re install and resets etc etc  made any improvement. So i'm starting to suspect hardware. 

I've had my Helix floor for about 10 months. It's frozen on me about six times. Most recently at rehearsal the other night. I'm on FW 2.21, so it's up to date on that.

By freezing I mean it won't let me switch screenshots or patches, but I still have the sound of the last screenshot that I was in. So I can finish the song that we're playing. Rebooting always clears it up and puts me back in business. But it is a disruption when it happens with the band. There's lots of guys with this same complaint. So I'm not sure if you have a defective unit or not.

Mine has recently been losing all output sound after sitting for a while while on.   I haven't pinpointed it, but helix was something I could leave on all the time - but now I notice I need to reboot it after it's been on for a good amount of time.   It hasn't effected a gig or practice yet - it's usually after a good 3 or 4 hours - but behavior I've never noticed before.  Started with 2.20 (and carried over to 2.21).

Mine has recently been losing all output sound after sitting for a while while on.   I haven't pinpointed it, but helix was something I could leave on all the time - but now I notice I need to reboot it after it's been on for a good amount of time.   It hasn't effected a gig or practice yet - it's usually after a good 3 or 4 hours - but behavior I've never noticed before.  Started with 2.20 (and carried over to 2.21).

Hmmm .... is yours a rack ? do you have expression pedal connected to floor controller when this happens?

I spoke to the line 6 engineers today.  They've diagnosed hardware ... it's going to get repaired/replaced.  Totally brilliant service from them ...very pleased.

It's very similar to your issue - but I've never had a black screen.   Usually all output stops working, but the screen and all buttons respond.   I've tried to switch outputs when it happens but doesn't work.

• 3 years later...

Have a helix rack and controller, encoder in op brought to service center they said wire had to be soldered , got back then output started losing power then quit . Service center was told by line 6 did not have parts to fix , sent back to line 6 all under warranty, still, waiting on getting it back , been out of service now 3 months. I have had axe fx in the past never had a problem  , I play quite a bit no confidence  in line 6 anymore , back to pedals , if you want to sound like a fender buy fender , if you want to sound like a marshall buy a marshall .

On 5/8/2017 at 9:17 PM, sheehanje said:

It's very similar to your issue - but I've never had a black screen.   Usually all output stops working, but the screen and all buttons respond.   I've tried to switch outputs when it happens but doesn't work.

Hi,

I have the same issue too.

Is there a solution?

I sent to the local repair service after line 6 decide to change the Mainboard with the DSP board; only the PSU is the same...

Now, after 6 months the issue is coming back!

I'm disperated.

Hi,

I have the issue like yours.

Is there a solution?

I sent to the local repair service after line 6 decide to change the Mainboard with the DSP board; only the PSU is the same...

Now, after 6 months the issue is coming back!

After about 1 hour of work or standby it's produces some distorted sound, the display shows intermittent red light on the input and then no sound from input or output.

I'm disperated.

Create another ticket robiox. I assume since the Mainboard and DSP board was changed by L6, there's a good chance it's still in warranty if its only been 6 months. You kept the receipts, right?

1 hour ago, spikey said:

Create another ticket robiox. I assume since the Mainboard and DSP board was changed by L6, there's a good chance it's still in warranty if its only been 6 months. You kept the receipts, right?

Hi, 
Yes I've already created a new ticket and L6 ask me to send back to the local service center to check the floor.
I have send the helix to the service center two times, only the second L6 decides to change the mainboard.
I don't want to waste my time another time.