Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

HD500X beginner - 2 questions

jlong4701

Hello all,

I'm an experienced player in rock cover band who wants to utilize the entire spectrum of modeling possibilities with the POD. What I lack experience in is using different amps and effects over the years. Mainly I played thru a JCM800 and let sound support handle the rest. SO I have lot to learn.

I am awaiting a replacement for the POD HD500X from Sweetwater (mine wont update correctly), my main 2 questions as I begin the modeling journey are these:

1. I’m unhappy so far just trying to find some amp modeling that sound great thru my Traynor combo amp. Should I continue attempting to learn to create full modeling amp tones using a combo guitar amp, or should I go ahead and research buying a FRFR? Maybe even a line 6 Stagesource to match the POD. Either way I will always bring a combo amp and OCD pedal as a backup solution, providing a clean and crunch sound as needed.  I read that the best result will be full modeling thru a powered speaker on stage, which should allow me to also send a studio direct output to the mixer so the sound support can blend the 2 or use whichever.
  2. I hope to be able to move ahead learning to creating patches using the POD interface AND/OR the edit software program. Is using the edit software and a laptop going to be an easier way for me to learn the ropes, as opposed to noodling around thru all the parameters on the POD itself? Again I’m currently spinning my wheels because I have to wait for a replacement unit that will update flash memory and see the software…
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

2) yes, the Edit software is the easiest way to figure out how the unit works. It includes a GUI the illustrates the dual signal chain paths and what goes where. The visualization is very helpful. It is also very helpful to download various patches to see how others program it. A lot can be learned that way. However, you should also learn how to use the buttons on the unit itself so, if necessary, you can change things on the fly at the gig when you run into something unexpected with the venue.

1) you will get better results with FRFR but as you mention sending a feed to a PA I guess you are talking about monitoring from your amp rather than getting a sound out to the audience? You will get away with your current rig (at least to start with) provided you are happy to not hear a perfect sound on stage - but you say you usually leave the FOH sound up to the soundpeeps so shouldn't be different to what you are used to.

2) it's much easier to set patches up in the editing software but as above, you will have to learn how to use the buttons on the POD at some point. I've been caught out, luckily at rehearsal, where I've had to change something and had absolutely no idea how without connecting to a pc!

I would download the pod manuals - the basic and advanced - and read them 1st then read the Edit manual. If you are splitting your feed to FOH and stage you will probably need to get your mind round the 'dual path' section so you can have two separate sounds.

Above all, have fun!

Great feedback so far.. especially the have fun part, too easy to get overwhelmed... As soon as I get the replacement POD Ill get the software going, and I'll need to know how to operate the unit standalone too.

I'm working with the "defective" pod right now setting up amp tones using a Mackie Thump PA speaker, which is way better than the sounds I get thru my combo amp...

So my plan is to find a FRFR that works. decision on spending the "extra" for Stagesource is the next stop....I can get other brands for less $, but matching brands is better most times.

I have the manuals printed in a binder and other reference materials going online...

Don't you guys think if I'm using a FRFR and the studio direct output mode I can go with the same patch for my stage monitor AND the PA feed?   

Don't you guys think if I'm using a FRFR and the studio direct output mode I can go with the same patch for my stage monitor AND the PA feed?

In theory, yes...however, no two speakers will ever sound identical. Just depends on the PA in question, and how closely it mirrors the frequency response of whatever you choose as your stage monitor. There's only one way to find out...buy and try.

Another consideration as it seems you are an 'amp person ' - like me! - would be to check out a DT25/50. That's also made for a POD and is, in my opinion (I have a DT25), better as a 'guitar amp'. FRFR comes into its own when you are sending a mix of electric, acoustic and other sounds, or using a wide variety of amps. Even if you use a wide variety, the way the DT works with the pod it will 'mimic' the pre amp configuration pretty authentically.

And you can still send a totally different feed to the PA.

I have my POD set up with pretty much the same patches in three banks. That way I never get lost with all the choices. These are tweaked to link with DT alone (practice & really small venues), DT and PA (bigger venues) and PA alone when I use in ears. I must admit that once you get used to tweaking the pod you soon get used to not humping an amp around. I now have guitar (JTV) in one hand, pod in the other and bag of leads in a rucksack. One trip from the car. Stripped down and on my way home 15 mins after the gig. Bliss...

If you start with the POD HD Edit please keep in mind that there are some bugs and glitches.

You will find some of them reported here http://line6.com/support/topic/19937-hd-edit-226-collection-of-known-issues/

The best way is to learn how to use the send & receive options and how to identify the glitches.

And please backup your setlist often and with clear timestamps in your local folder structure!

I do my backups into a cloud-service to have them accessible at rehearsal and gigs too.

...Don't you guys think if I'm using a FRFR and the studio direct output mode I can go with the same patch for my stage monitor AND the PA feed?   

Yes, that's how I've been using it for Live and Rehearsals over the past 3 years... Same patches for all. Whenever there is PA with monitors, I connect directly from the PODHD to the PA. Whenever there is no monitor, I connect to an Alto-TS110a powered speaker to hear myself. Works great!

edit: I also carry a second PODHD with the same patches as a backup. Small footprint!

This video gives you the basics on editing up a patch from the ground up with footswitch setup to control on the unit.

My advice is to set up an amp model you like and get it as good as you can get it into your amp.

Marshal amps tend to sound a bit brash with the HDs and you can experiment with the output mode Stack or combo and roll off some high end.

With 4 cable method you have the option to use your amp's pre amp.

Meanwhile, follow this to edit on the unit;