Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Possible to disable toe switch?

guitar1969

I recently got my Helix and played live with it for the first time this weekend.  Learned alot even though I thought I was well prepared beforehand. Nothing I can't resolve but just getting better at its use.  

One thing that bothers me is I typically only use the built-in Exp pedal as a volume pedal(assigned to exp 2) and I do alot of Volume swells.  Playing live(and on a few instances at home) I accidentally put too much pressure, engaging the tow switch to Exp 1, then lose vol pedal control completely, until I switch over the toe switch back to Exp2.

Is there any way to disable the Helix's toe switch completely so it can just stay on Exp2 for volume, or any other workaround?  I thought about just putting another volume block in my chain assigned to Exp1 as well, but on  few of my chains with Ambient stuff I am out of DSP or room in the path to put another one in.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Michael.

If you plug another expression pedal into exp2, the on-board button won't swap. Then you could disable the volume pedals bypass control which defaults to the toe switch so pressing it would do exactly nothing. The catch is is that you would need another expression pedal. just a dummy cable wouldn't work as far as I've tried

I recently got my Helix and played live with it for the first time this weekend.  Learned alot even though I thought I was well prepared beforehand. Nothing I can't resolve but just getting better at its use.  

One thing that bothers me is I typically only use the built-in Exp pedal as a volume pedal(assigned to exp 2) and I do alot of Volume swells.  Playing live(and on a few instances at home) I accidentally put too much pressure, engaging the tow switch to Exp 1, then lose vol pedal control completely, until I switch over the toe switch back to Exp2.

Is there any way to disable the Helix's toe switch completely so it can just stay on Exp2 for volume, or any other workaround?  I thought about just putting another volume block in my chain assigned to Exp1 as well, but on  few of my chains with Ambient stuff I am out of DSP or room in the path to put another one in.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Michael.

Yes, you can disable the toe switch. Highlight the Volume Pedal block and go to Bypass Assign. Change the "Switch" parameter to 'None'. This will unassign the toe switch from the volume block. Make sure you save your snapshots or preset with the Volume block active as you will no longer have the expression pedal toe switch to activate it. Btw, I highly recommend the 'Logarithmic' setting for the "Curve" parameter on the volume pedal block, it makes for much more musical swells in my opinion. I also position the volume block right before any time based effects like delay, reverb, chorus, etc. so that cranking up on the expression pedal (volume 0%) does not kill the delayed sound unnaturally. I also place it after blocks like distortion and amp/cab so it does not change the input level to these blocks and change my tone. I use the volume knob on my guitar for that.

• Upvote 1

If you plug another expression pedal into exp2, the on-board button won't swap. Then you could disable the volume pedals bypass control which defaults to the toe switch so pressing it would do exactly nothing. The catch is is that you would need another expression pedal. just a dummy cable wouldn't work as far as I've tried

Actually you can use a shorted dummy plug or cable.

I used one until some bug was sorted out. Can't really remember what the bug was precisely (Alzheimer beta version ;-)

post-90313-0-24376800-1468870668_thumb.jpg

Yes, you can disable the toe switch. Highlight the Volume Pedal block and go to Bypass Assign. Change the "Switch" parameter to 'None'. This will unassign the toe switch from the volume block. 

Unfortunately this does not solve the problem.  I already had the switch set to "None" in Bypass assign.  When I step on the pedal and activate the switch it activates the other Expression pedal (#1) and I lose control of Volume until I switch it back over to the correct setting.

Unfortunately this does not solve the problem.  I already had the switch set to "None" in Bypass assign.  When I step on the pedal and activate the switch it activates the other Expression pedal (#1) and I lose control of Volume until I switch it back over to the correct setting.

Hmm, yup, I see the problem with that. Here is one solution, a little klugey but it seems to work.

1. Set up a second instance of the Volume Pedal block (not a Gain block).
  2. Use the Controller Assign screen to set one of them up with the 'Controller' parameter set to "EXP Pedal 1", set the 'Controller' parameter for the other Volume Pedal block to "EXP Pedal 2".
  3. Use the Bypass Assign screen to set both of them to "EXP Toe" under the 'Switch' parameter. That way when you hit the switch by accident it simply switches to the other Volume Pedal block. That seems to work well and fairly transparently although it may not be ideal. I don't hear a discernible difference as I switch from one to the other as you are in the max(100%) volume position on both when you switch. This gives you an internal Helix option to achieve your goal, it looks like the external hardware fix with a shorted dummy cord might be the other possibility per talwilkin's suggestion.
  4. Make sure you have your Global Settings --> 'EXP Pedal 1 Position' and 'EXP Pedal 2 Position' set to "Global".

Note: When you add a Wah block Helix automatically defaults it to 'EXP Pedal 1' and the 'EXP Toe' switch. Make sure if you have a wah block that you unassign it from EXP 1 in the Controller Assign screens and unassign it from 'EXP Toe' in the Bypass Assign screen or it will kick in when you switch. You will want to use an external Wah pedal with the above configuration of the dual Volume Pedal assigned to the Helix expression pedal, but you were probably already aware of that as you were looking to disable the switch to 'EXP 1'. 

Hmm, yup, I see the problem with that. Here is one solution, a little klugey but it seems to work.

1. Set up a second instance of the Volume Pedal block (not a Gain block).
  2. Use the Controller Assign screen to set one of them up with the 'Controller' parameter set to "EXP Pedal 1", set the 'Controller' parameter for the other Volume Pedal block to "EXP Pedal 2".
  3. Use the Bypass Assign screen to set both of them to "EXP Toe" under the 'Switch' parameter. That way when you hit the switch by accident it simply switches to the other Volume Pedal block. That seems to work well and fairly transparently although it may not be ideal. I don't hear a discernible difference as I switch from one to the other as you are in the max(100%) volume position on both when you switch. This gives you an internal Helix option to achieve your goal, it looks like the external hardware fix with a shorted dummy cord might be the other possibility per talwilkin's suggestion.
  4. Make sure you have your Global Settings --> 'EXP Pedal 1 Position' and 'EXP Pedal 2 Position' set to "Global".

Note: When you add a Wah block Helix automatically defaults it to 'EXP Pedal 1' and the 'EXP Toe' switch. Make sure if you have a wah block that you unassign it from EXP 1 in the Controller Assign screens and unassign it from 'EXP Toe' in the Bypass Assign screen or it will kick in when you switch. You will want to use an external Wah pedal with the above configuration of the dual Volume Pedal assigned to the Helix expression pedal, but you were probably already aware of that as you were looking to disable the switch to 'EXP 1'. 

Per my original post I mentioned this workaround but won't work as I don't have enough DSP to waste on a second instance of the Vol block in the place it would need to be.

Per my original post I mentioned this workaround but won't work as I don't have enough DSP to waste on a second instance of the Vol block in the place it would need to be.

LOL, you did indeed, ideas exhausted for the moment. You are really on top of things for a self professed new Helix user. I seem to have walked down exactly the path you already tread in my efforts to offer up a solution. Sorry they were ineffectual given your DSP limitations if well-intended. It looks like trying the shorted dummy cable solution might be your best bet for now.   :huh:

Btw, are you using both routes for your preset to leverage the DSP from both processors, or are you trying to accomplish this on one route? Seems like there should be some presets you can use the dual volume block pedal method on as the extra volume block should not require that much DSP. You may already be well aware of this but if you don't require your second route dedicated to a different signal path make sure you check out Template 01D - "Super Serial x2" for maximum available DSP by combining the two routes.

I used one until some bug was sorted out. Can't really remember what the bug was precisely (Alzheimer beta version ;-)

Of course! I was just plugging in a working patch cable by itself.

That bug was when the auto engage first dropped. The fix was to unplug your guitar from your Helix and plug it into the Exp2 jack, doing the same thing a shorted jack would do. I think that's the answer here

Of course! I was just plugging in a working patch cable by itself.

That bug was when the auto engage first dropped. The fix was to unplug your guitar from your Helix and plug it into the Exp2 jack, doing the same thing a shorted jack would do. I think that's the answer here

No, it was another bug that came up when snapshots were introduced.

Anyway, it doesn't matter. The workaround works fine, there will only be EXP1 and the toe switch won't do anything.

LOL, you did indeed, ideas exhausted for the moment. You are really on top of things for a self professed new Helix user. I seem to have walked down exactly the path you already tread in my efforts to offer up a solution. Sorry they were ineffectual given your DSP limitations if well-intended. It looks like trying the shorted dummy cable solution might be your best bet for now.   :huh:

Btw, are you using both routes for your preset to leverage the DSP from both processors, or are you trying to accomplish this on one route? Seems like there should be some presets you can use the dual volume block pedal method on as the extra volume block should not require that much DSP. You may already be well aware of this but if you don't require your second route dedicated to a different signal path make sure you check out Template 01D - "Super Serial x2" for maximum available DSP by combining the two routes.

Yeah I am using both paths.  I do have room on path two but with the chain, even after rearranging things a bit the second volume pedal located where it would be doesn't give a good result.  As you know on Vol swells there are certain places where the Volume pedal works best.  It can at least be a workaround until I realize that I have the second Vol pedal engaged  and correct it, but it seems like there should be an option to turn it off completely or reassign it to do something else, leaving the Exp pedal engaged all this time. That is how I thought it would work but it seems no matter what you set the toe switch to, even another switch, the one under the pedal always switches between Exp1 and 2.

Maybe I will work on rerranging things even more if this is the only option.

I have owned a number of modelers before (Atomic Amplifire, Zoom G5n, G5, G2.1nu, G2) but never something as feature and routing rich.  I read the manual through from cover to cover and now on my second reading.  Pretty much have everything I can get from the manual, so now it is just up to experimentation.

Yeah I am using both paths.  I do have room on path two but with the chain, even after rearranging things a bit the second volume pedal located where it would be doesn't give a good result.  As you know on Vol swells there are certain places where the Volume pedal works best.  It can at least be a workaround until I realize that I have the second Vol pedal engaged  and correct it, but it seems like there should be an option to turn it off completely or reassign it to do something else, leaving the Exp pedal engaged all this time. That is how I thought it would work but it seems no matter what you set the toe switch to, even another switch, the one under the pedal always switches between Exp1 and 2.

I have owned a number of modelers before (Atomic Amplifire, Zoom G5n, G5, G2.1nu, G2) but never something as feature and routing rich.  I read the manual through from cover to cover and now on my second reading.  Pretty much have everything I can get from the manual, so now it is just up to experimentation.

I absolutely know what you mean about optimal block placement and how DSP limitations can impact it, even on a Super Serial route. As you have observed, even though the Helix has the option to unassign the toe switch, the expression pedal behavior is not quite flexible enough to accomplish your goal . Good luck getting this worked out and I would probably rig up a dummy jack as this sounds like just the ticket. I am always wary about hardware solutions that involve shorting things out but this one is probably harmless (issues standard liability disclaimer  ;) ).

So I just screw a normal screw into a 1/4" adapter plug, and that should do the trick to make a shorted dummy plug?

To save processing overhead, make sure you change all of your blocks before an amp model or cab/IR to mono because those blocks will sum the signal to mono anyway. Choosing mono blocks save quite a bit of processing power. 

• Upvote 1

So I just screw a normal screw into a 1/4" adapter plug, and that should do the trick to make a shorted dummy plug?

That's what I did. It was just a quick and dirty experiment and I planned to make it a bit better nut never came round to it.

Then the fix came so I didn't need it anymore.

I remember the problem now. The state of the Expression pedal wasn't saved in a snapshot. That messed things up sometimes.

With the fix the pedal just stayed on EXP1 and the switch just turned the effect on and off.

That's what I did. It was just a quick and dirty experiment and I planned to make it a bit better nut never came round to it.

Then the fix came so I didn't need it anymore.

I remember the problem now. The state of the Expression pedal wasn't saved in a snapshot. That messed things up sometimes.

With the fix the pedal just stayed on EXP1 and the switch just turned the effect on and off.

Shoot - That won't solve my problem then.  I don't want the switch to turn off the Volume pedal.  I want it to stay active and on EXp 1 (or 2) even if I accidentally lay into the pedal too much.

Shoot - That won't solve my problem then.  I don't want the switch to turn off the Volume pedal.  I want it to stay active and on EXp 1 (or 2) even if I accidentally lay into the pedal too much.

Starting to think a correctly sized rubber block placed under the expression pedal to prevent it from fully depressing and activating the toe switch is your best solution right now. You could even make it easily removable so you can use the toe switch normally when you need to switch to the Wah or whatever.

My Bad, sorry.

You need to then set the "Bypass assign"to none.

Voila! :)