Sign in to follow this  
mileskb

JTV-89 or 89F reason for pickup selector layout.

So I'm just a bit curious...

Been checking out my new JTV-89F and notice the pickup selector positions and wondered why they didn't wire the humbuckers to better mimic single coil pickup placement one would find on guitars with single coil pickups.

I did a mockup in photoshop of what I mean.  Has anyone here just flipped the pickups to achieve this?  It would seem we could get a better single coil on the neck or bridge position this way.

I could also see just flipping the neck pickup as a lot of the signature single-coil tones are from the neck pickup yet most single coils on the bridge are an an angle to really they start out a little further away from the bridge and get closer as you move up the scale.

Anyway... thoughts of flipping the pickups?  Pros and cons ?  Am I missing something?

post-2274678-0-27294000-1494187906_thumb.jpg

Yes; you can either rotate the pups or re-solder the leads, depending on whether or not you wish to keep the screw coils on the outside.

If I had to guess, it's because Tyler or someone at Line 6 judged that splitting to the screw coils resulted in either too bright a sound for the 500k analog pots, or perhaps the "Tyler-designed" pups have less of a drop in output with the slug coils selected.

In either case, I prefer the outside coils, as well.

I chose to re-solder the leads...  Nice little improvement... although... maybe re-solder isn't the right term as they WEREN'T SOLDERED RIGHT IN THE FIRST PLACE !!!!