Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Help me understand preset building headphone vs. FRFR

xmacvicar

So I am new to modelling. I picked up a Firehawk FX. I build most of my tones late at night with a nice pair of AT flat headphones (AT-MH40 I think?)

Then the next day I get a chance to plug into my Yorkville YX10P monitor to really crank things out. When I load up my new preset (the one made on headphones which sounded perfect at the time) into my FRFR, its INSANELY bright and sharp/treble, etc. So I am trying to understand the interplay of a few things....

1. On my Yorkville monitor, it has separate treble and bass eq knobs. I find that no matter what, I need the bass basically on 10 and the treble on -10 to make the MONITOR specific sound sound familiar/similar to a guitar amp.

2. What happens now...the preset with headphones sounds amazing. Now its coming through my monitor and with the treble all the way down and the bass all the way up, it sounds good in front of me. What about the sound guy who gets the XLR feed to FOH? Am I just at the mercy of him or her to make it sound good 'out front'? 

I am trying to find some level of consistency in preset making.

So I am new to modelling. I picked up a Firehawk FX. I build most of my tones late at night with a nice pair of AT flat headphones (AT-MH40 I think?)

Then the next day I get a chance to plug into my Yorkville YX10P monitor to really crank things out. When I load up my new preset (the one made on headphones which sounded perfect at the time) into my FRFR, its INSANELY bright and sharp/treble, etc. So I am trying to understand the interplay of a few things....

1. On my Yorkville monitor, it has separate treble and bass eq knobs. I find that no matter what, I need the bass basically on 10 and the treble on -10 to make the MONITOR specific sound sound familiar/similar to a guitar amp.

2. What happens now...the preset with headphones sounds amazing. Now its coming through my monitor and with the treble all the way down and the bass all the way up, it sounds good in front of me. What about the sound guy who gets the XLR feed to FOH? Am I just at the mercy of him or her to make it sound good 'out front'? 

I am trying to find some level of consistency in preset making.

what are your connections and how are you running out of the firehwawk?

what are your connections and how are you running out of the firehwawk?

1/4 out L mono to a yorkville YX10P stage monitor for personal monitoring. Main feed would be the stereo XLR outs to FOH

Interesting. I used mine on stage for the first time this past Sunday-  I ran through the house via XLR out and the 1/4" to an old SWR 30watt LA8 amp (being used as a personal monitor)...no worries.

But I too started out primarily using headphones in the initial weeks I got it. but the sound was pretty consistent out of a couple of other amps I had- so, not sure what you've got going on.

Are you on the latest firmware,etc.?

Have you tried building a tone that sounds right (or tweaking one you've done) to sound how you want out of your YX10P fist, then plug in your headphones to hear what the difference is? For me, I know a VOX AC emulation patch I had sounded a bit better out of my head phones and I wind up having to tweak it a little when it's out of the monitor. 

Also, have you tried the output out of anything else powered (i.e. another powered monitor or running to an amp BUT still using "LINE" mode) to see if it's the unit/patch giving you the extra highs or if it's just on the YX10P?...or even running other user patches to test for differences to determine if it is possible the firehawk itself, the patch or the YX10P that's the culprit.

Just a couple of suggestions.

I've been down this rabbit hole many times

Forget trying to create patches on headphones. You must create your patches using something as close to what you're gonna use live as possible, if that's a PA speaker then that's what you need, once you do this you will find your tones can be modelled to exactly what you want.

I sometimes create patches with headphones just to get a general sound or get the delays set up, but it always needs a lot of adjustment when I go to rehearsal.

I've tried tonnes of different headphones and speakers as I really wanted to be able to create patches late at night while my family was sleeping but since creating them at gig volumes the results are so much better, it also sounds better when recorded, but if you switch back to headphones the tone will sound lifeless and bland, I have 2 instances of all my favourite patches, one for live use and one for headphones

I agree.  Creating patches while running through a live amp/speaker rig is best.  Also, FWIW, when creating tones, I use a decibel meter (iPhone app) to ensure my volume levels are consistent across tone patches, as well as when I switch on distortion from clean tones.

• Upvote 1

I agree.  Creating patches while running through a live amp/speaker rig is best.  Also, FWIW, when creating tones, I use a decibel meter (iPhone app) to ensure my volume levels are consistent across tone patches, as well as when I switch on distortion from clean tones.

is that accurate? What is the app!

"Decibel 10th," or something like that. Just check the app store, there are probably several - free (with ads) and pay (without ads). Not the most accurate, but when you're up around 95-100dB, and there's so much variation with string attack and frequency/pitch, I think it works well enough.