Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

2x L3M's=2x the FUN!!

havenstudio

Recently purchased a fantastic deal on a pair of L3M's and wanted to give the community a heads up...bliss. I've been a naysayer for a long time on the pursuit of tone through modellers and going FRFR but I must admit that this set up has me smiling. If it's not as close to my tube amp then I'm not sure if my ears are working.

Well done Line 6! BTW I bought a couple of Marco Fanton's patches (pricey) but I loved the set up with snapshots and amp selections...wow...go get em! Viva Italia!

• Upvote 1

Congratulations!  I went with Stagesource speakers and never looked back.  I have an L3T (for the extra mixer and acoustic guitar feature) and an L3M for use in my studio at home.  I bought the Helix for it's simplicity and compactness so having cables strung all over the place is totally counterproductive to me.  I love the fact that I can simply connect the Stagesource speakers in series via the LINK out connection.  I also have an L2T that I use to play out (lighter/smaller) as an on stage personal monitor.  When I want for things to get especially real, I put the 3 together for an authentic WDW mix.    I'm also adamant about keeping them in "PA reference" mode and adjusting my presets as needed.  I do find that due to the FRFR speakers broader range (as compared to a traditional guitar speaker cab), you have to not be afraid to make some pretty radical cuts to bass and highs (It's hard to do but I just shut my eyes and go by sound alone and let my jaw drop when I look at what I've done).  Also, it's a memory eater, but putting a preamp in the chain before the amp mod overcomes any thinness and loss of gain said cuts might cause while rendering a more 'tubey' sound in general. It's also my opinion that the Helix cabs (or dual cab mix) sound better with FRFR and IRs sound best with traditional guitar cabs.  Have Fun!  You/we not only have a great guitar rig, but also one the best stereo music systems I can imagine.

• Upvote 1

Congratulations!  I went with Stagesource speakers and never looked back.  I have an L3T (for the extra mixer and acoustic guitar feature) and an L3M for use in my studio at home.  I bought the Helix for it's simplicity and compactness so having cables strung all over the place is totally counterproductive to me.  I love the fact that I can simply connect the Stagesource speakers in series via the LINK out connection.  I also have an L2T that I use to play out (lighter/smaller) as an on stage personal monitor.  When I want for things to get especially real, I put the 3 together for an authentic WDW mix.    I'm also adamant about keeping them in "PA reference" mode and adjusting my presets as needed.  I do find that due to the FRFR speakers broader range (as compared to a traditional guitar speaker cab), you have to not be afraid to make some pretty radical cuts to bass and highs (It's hard to do but I just shut my eyes and go by sound alone and let my jaw drop when I look at what I've done).  Also, it's a memory eater, but putting a preamp in the chain before the amp mod overcomes any thinness and loss of gain said cuts might cause while rendering a more 'tubey' sound in general. It's also my opinion that the Helix cabs (or dual cab mix) sound better with FRFR and IRs sound best with traditional guitar cabs.  Have Fun!  You/we not only have a great guitar rig, but also one the best stereo music systems I can imagine.

Sounds like u have been working this set up for a while. Any chance you have any of your patches on custom tone? Would love to examine how u set up some of your patches. 

• Upvote 1

Sounds like u have been working this set up for a while. Any chance you have any of your patches on custom tone? Would love to examine how u set up some of your patches. 

I haven't posted anything to the board yet.  Tone-wise I'm a Gilmour fan on one hand and SRV on the other.  It just seems like almost nothing (free or paid for) that works for others sounds right on my rig and I suspect it will be the same the other way around so I haven't felt very inspired to upload anything.  Up to this point I've been so fickle and trying a little bit of everything and I feel I'm just now getting to the point that I that I might have something worth sharing.   Even so, there's really not much anyone can do that hasn't been done structurally.  Seems everything is simply an edited version of another.  That said, I do plan at some point to post a preset that mimics my REEVES Space Cowboy amp and setup.  (If you're an amp nerd like me but not familiar with that amp you definitely should check it out).  I've still got some tweaking to do but I'm sure no matter how perfect I get it to my ear, it will still need to be edited to suit the setup of others (rig, room size, speaker position, etc.).  My  biggest breakthrough has been the discovery of the preamp before the amp as I mentioned before.  It eats DSP like crazy but it can also be used to take the place of both an eq and gain pedal in a lot of cases.

• Upvote 1

Just used my full Stagesource rig all connected with L6Link.at a gig (sans Helix); pair of L3m for the mains, pair of L2t for monitors, and M20d mixer. 

Line6 link is stellar and across multiple platforms. At my home 'studio' have Helix connected to the L3m and a pair of Yamaha HS5; and as soundcard.

Playback / mixing / jamming on Helix, whatever - great speakers.. Love 'em!

Great news OP - I use a pair of TS210's, and while some people seem to look down their noses at this being 'super amateur' gear, to me and the audience they sound fantastic.

Running it in a w/d/w setup - dry sent to centre, hard pan left is wet, and hard pan right is wet.