Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix Editor and 4K Monitor

sheehanje

Anyone using Helix editor with a 4K monitor.   I have a 24" 4K monitor, which is on the small side for 4K, but works well with mostly every other program but with Helix Editor it doesn't seem to use Windows font scaling.  I can barely read anything.   Is there any workaround for this or something that maybe needs to go into idealscale?

We have a similar issue at work (High School) where a program that's java driven will not scale. We have a work around but it involves editing the registry and addition of several strategically placed new files. 

We have a similar issue at work (High School) where a program that's java driven will not scale. We have a work around but it involves editing the registry and addition of several strategically placed new files. 

I take it the registry settings are app specific and nothing to do with the canned Windows registry entries?

• Upvote 1

I take it the registry settings are app specific and nothing to do with the canned Windows registry entries?

here is our fix for a program called "softchalk" it is not specific to anything but the java that drives it. 

SoftChalk UpScale fix for Win 10 Surface

Create a new registry entry:

1. Press  Windows Button + R, type “regeditâ€, and then click OK.
  2. Navigate to the following registry subkey:
    • HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > SOFTWARE > Microsoft > Windows > CurrentVersionSideBySide
  3. Right-click, select NEW > DWORD (32 bit) Value
  4. Type PreferExternalManifest, and then press ENTER.
  5. Right-click PreferExternalManifest, and then click Modify.
  6. Enter Value Data and select Decimal.
  7. Click OK. Exit Registry Editor.

Add Manifest File for JAVAW.exe:

1. Go to \\FR-file01\deploy and access the SoftChalk Fix folder
  2. Copy the file (javaw.exe.manifest) to the following locations

C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.8.0_131\bin

C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre1.8.0_131\bin

Note: You will need to elevate to do this task

1. Reboot and verify Softchalk upscales correctly

you could also use the magnifier in windows

I'll give the registry edits a try - but is Helix Editor java based?    I'd actually like to try those registry entries at work to fix a few of our older java apps that get squeezed when I login remotely from home.

I'll give the registry edits a try - but is Helix Editor java based?    I'd actually like to try those registry entries at work to fix a few of our older java apps that get squeezed when I login remotely from home.

I don't know if the editor is java based, it looks like java - but that doesn't mean it is.   In our case we searched for "program will not upscale" (we're using surface pro's with a 2kX3k resolution) and found that in our case it was a java issue.

I use a 4k monitor. I just change my display resolution to 1920x1080 when I run the Helix editor. It's not exactly convenient, but it's an easy work-around.

Yeah - I've done that but I need to change windows scaling to 100% when I do that - then it requires a logoff and login to adjust.   Definitely an inconvenience to anyone that runs multiple apps at the same time and uses their computer as a swiss army knife.

I'm thinking about digging one of my old monitors out that's just 1920X1080 and running a dual head setup.   

I have a multiple monitor setup, so it's a little easier from that standpoint.  I just isolate the editor on one monitor, and anything else I'm running, I swing over to another monitor.  Definitely not convenient.  Hopefully Line6 addresses that....Particularly since Helix Native is right around the corner.  I don't really want to have to adjust screen resolution to use a plug-in.

I have a multiple monitor setup, so it's a little easier from that standpoint.  I just isolate the editor on one monitor, and anything else I'm running, I swing over to another monitor.  Definitely not convenient.  Hopefully Line6 addresses that....Particularly since Helix Native is right around the corner.  I don't really want to have to adjust screen resolution to use a plug-in.

I'm thinking about Helix Native too.   I know this is off topic from my OP - but does anyone know if the Helix needs to be plugged in for Helix Native?   That's how it was with Pod Farm and my Pod XT - kind of defeated the usefulness of it.

Helix Native does not require use of a Helix.

The screen scaling problem exhibited by Helix Editor is a well known frustration encountered by many. For months, Helix Editor users have been reporting the problem. It is a well known issue to Line 6. It is eagerly anticipated that the forthcoming improved version of Helix Editor, and the new Helix Native (expected late June/"by the end of Spring"), will be contemporary applications capable of delivering the full display capabilities of the current Windows and Mac operating systems.

• 4 weeks later...

Man, I really hope they update to support 4k monitors in Win10 when they release Native. I just attached my Win10 laptop to a 4k monitor and immediately came across this issue and came here looking for help. What's weird is that they support retina fine on macOS, which I know handles this stuff better than Windows, but it's totally doable in Windows if the developer cares enough. I really hope they get this fixed, the app is unusable right now :(