Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Joystick Failure Mode - Ideascale

DunedinDragon

Well I just discovered something that I think is worth considering in Ideascale.  Unfortunately the way I discovered it wasn't optimal.

This morning my joystick suddenly stopped responding to pushes.  I could use all of the other functions, just no select capability.  Not a big deal, right?  Well, not if you don't use the editor, or if you're on tour, or in the middle of a gig.  Man!!  I didn't realize how much I depended on that functionality.  And the problem is, short of hooking it up to a computer and running the editor, there is no way to implement that functionality.

Apparently this is a pretty common failure, so it seems to me it might be a good idea to have an alternative way to have an alternative method, and that's under the Menu function.  Currently there's nothing defined for the 4th knob under the Menu functions, so a FW update could provide a Joystick Bypass set of functions by pressing that 4th knob.  You could then use the other knobs to navigate and select until you're able to get your joystick functionality back.

If you think this is a worthwhile idea, vote it up on IdeaScale via the link below.  If you don't think it's a good idea...well...you will at some point when your joystick fails.

https://line6.ideascale.com/a/dtd/Joystick-Select-Alternative/895610-23508?submitted=1

• Upvote 2

Well I just discovered something that I think is worth considering in Ideascale.  Unfortunately the way I discovered it wasn't optimal.

This morning my joystick suddenly stopped responding to pushes.  I could use all of the other functions, just no select capability.  Not a big deal, right?  Well, not if you don't use the editor, or if you're on tour, or in the middle of a gig.  Man!!  I didn't realize how much I depended on that functionality.  And the problem is, short of hooking it up to a computer and running the editor, there is no way to implement that functionality.

Apparently this is a pretty common failure, so it seems to me it might be a good idea to have an alternative way to have an alternative method, and that's under the Menu function.  Currently there's nothing defined for the 4th knob under the Menu functions, so a FW update could provide a Joystick Bypass set of functions by pressing that 4th knob.  You could then use the other knobs to navigate and select until you're able to get your joystick functionality back.

If you think this is a worthwhile idea, vote it up on IdeaScale via the link below.  If you don't think it's a good idea...well...you will at some point when your joystick fails.

https://line6.ideascale.com/a/dtd/Joystick-Select-Alternative/895610-23508?submitted=1

Voted! Redundancy is a beautiful thing. Have never been a fan of the joystick design to begin with. One of the few parts of the Helix's physical design that seems to be behind instead of way ahead of the competitors.

Voted! Redundancy is a beautiful thing. Have never been a fan of the joystick design to begin with. One of the few parts of the Helix's physical design that seems to be behind instead of way ahead of the competitors.

Well it's cool in a way since they're the only one's doing it and it's fairly intuitive.  But that's a double-edged sword.  That means your engineering of it and quality control need to be top notch because it's going to take probably just as much abuse as the stomps in terms of repetitive use.  I'd be very interested in finding out what the failure rate is on these pieces.  As I understand it, it's not the mechanical portions that are failing as much as it is the electrical connections.  And that should be a no-brainer in terms of getting those connections solid.

Unfortunately for me we have some big festival events coming up in the next couple of weeks so I really have no clue when I'll be able to get it in for repair.  I may end up buying a replacement unit and use it as a backup and at home to replace my HD500X as my audio interface on my main computer.  I considered doing that with the Helix LT, but without the mic input it wouldn't be a good replacement for the HD500X.  And I'm surely not going to use a Helix LT as my gigging machine while my full Helix is sitting at home.

This is going to be an expensive lesson in having a good backup plan for my rig.....

Well it's cool in a way since they're the only one's doing it and it's fairly intuitive. But that's a double-edged sword. That means your engineering of it and quality control need to be top notch because it's going to take probably just as much abuse as the stomps in terms of repetitive use. I'd be very interested in finding out what the failure rate is on these pieces. As I understand it, it's not the mechanical portions that are failing as much as it is the electrical connections. And that should be a no-brainer in terms of getting those connections solid.

Unfortunately for me we have some big festival events coming up in the next couple of weeks so I really have no clue when I'll be able to get it in for repair. I may end up buying a replacement unit and use it as a backup and at home to replace my HD500X as my audio interface on my main computer. I considered doing that with the Helix LT, but without the mic input it wouldn't be a good replacement for the HD500X. And I'm surely not going to use a Helix LT as my gigging machine while my full Helix is sitting at home.

This is going to be an expensive lesson in having a good backup plan for my rig.....

Bummer, I feel ya. I had to replace my Helix a while ago for two failing switches but was able to wait until I had sufficient time between gigs. It was still under store warranty and the retailer got a new one back to me quickly. I do think they could have chosen a better control arrangement than the joystick they went with. I much prefer that flat rotating clickable "disk" surrounded by four buttons setup for instance on the Roland GR-55 and think it is less prone to impact damage. I also would not be at all surprised if the Roland controls fail far less often although nobody is releasing those numbers. Overall the Helix is really well built and of the highest quality and if there are a couple of parts that fail too often or should be improved on in future generations I don't see any percentage in sugar-coating the issue (not saying you are). I think the joystick comes under that heading. Besides its design, and the fact that it has to be used in tandem with the Preset knob, which is in my opinion sub-optimal, I have never liked the feel of it or how easy it is to turn it accidentally. It is like somebody took a sleek Maserati sports car and put plastic door knobs on the doors instead of recessed handles. I have gotten used to it over time though.

• Upvote 1

Voted it up!

Redundancy for the Joystick's Seven (7) essential functions is an excellent suggestion!

To attract more votes, you may wish to post your IdeaScale link to TGP and MLP Forums.

The Joystick is incredibly useful and indeed vital to Helix operations. It is the Achille's Tendon of the Helix! Without it functioning properly, there are some functions that cannot be accomplished (unless the unit is connected to a computer and the Editor is used. Even then, I'm not sure that the Global Settings categories can be accessed if the Joystick's Rotation and 12, 3, 6, 9 postions fail.

I am also amonst those that purchased the Helix to be used stand alone (without the Editor).

The upside is that Line 6's Technical Support is World Class and will service you ASAP!

If there were alternate methods -- as a failsafe -- to access the Seven directional functions of the Joystick via other encoders on the Helix that would be ideal!

Well it's cool in a way since they're the only one's doing it and it's fairly intuitive.  But that's a double-edged sword.  That means your engineering of it and quality control need to be top notch because it's going to take probably just as much abuse as the stomps in terms of repetitive use.  I'd be very interested in finding out what the failure rate is on these pieces.  As I understand it, it's not the mechanical portions that are failing as much as it is the electrical connections.  And that should be a no-brainer in terms of getting those connections solid.

Unfortunately for me we have some big festival events coming up in the next couple of weeks so I really have no clue when I'll be able to get it in for repair.  I may end up buying a replacement unit and use it as a backup and at home to replace my HD500X as my audio interface on my main computer.  I considered doing that with the Helix LT, but without the mic input it wouldn't be a good replacement for the HD500X.  And I'm surely not going to use a Helix LT as my gigging machine while my full Helix is sitting at home.

I'm assuming you put in a ticket already?  My bet is you may be surprised how quickly you can get it sorted, especially since you're touring...

Voted up as well; I fear the possibility of this hardware failure, especially since I only use the editor for backup/restore functions - all of my patch editing is done on the device itself (very much my preference).

I go out of my way to use the joystick as minimally as possible.

I'm assuming you put in a ticket already?  My bet is you may be surprised how quickly you can get it sorted, especially since you're touring...

I opened a ticket, but I first need to try a global reset to ensure it's a hardware problem.  Haven't had time to backup everything yet before I try that.

DiD:

The occasional reports of Joystick problems (here or elsewhere on the Internet) do not seem to correlate to a particular firmware version. What version of firmware are you running?

In your original post, when you mentioned the joystick was no longer responding to pushes nor select, is only the Z-Axis function inoperative? Do the other 6 directional functions still work?

DiD:

The occasional reports of Joystick problems (here or elsewhere on the Internet) do not seem to correlate to a particular firmware version. What version of firmware are you running?

In your original post, when you mentioned the joystick was no longer responding to pushes nor select, is only the Z-Axis function inoperative? Do the other 6 directional functions still work?

I'm still running 2.10 FW.  I doubt it's the firmware but the Line 6 support folks wanted me to at least try that, so I will.

As far the the joystick, yes...it's just the Z-axis function that doesn't work.  Everything else is fine.  That's really the reason I suspect it's some sort of electrical connection given the mechanical operation of the Z-axis still feels the same...just no response to it.

I just initiated a claim with the Guitar Center "Pro Coverage" for my failed rotary joystick, glad (for once) that I sprung for it! Hopefully it's a smooth process. I was leary of that knob from the get-go, voted it "most likely to fail", and sure enough. Could become a pain if it's a recurring failure...

• 6 months later...
  • 3 months later...

The rotatory fuction firstly, and some months later the push down (the main function --> we need a workaround please), failed for the second time (under warranty). It is a hardware issue (cable soldering). Up, downn, left and right are OK.

• 1 month later...

I´m newer victim here.. My joystick stopped working as push botton. Opened a ticket, and Line 6 sent me to inspection and repair down here in Chile....!! Considering that the Helix has been no more than 8 months on stores I´m a little concern how this story will continue...

I hope Line 6 will manage correctly this issues in foreing countries..

keep you updated..

I only use the Helix as a "quiet time" headphone platform (perhaps twice a month average use).  My joystick failed under such light duty; but, it was repaired quickly under warranty (assumed--as I was not charged).

It cost me ~$100 to insure and fast ship it.