Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Holdsworth like Delay / Chorus / Detune

SeniHoellmann

Hi,

I try to recreate the Holdsworth 8 delay thing and some other fx. But I can't imagine whether or how it is done with helix.

In a video by the awesome Darryl Gabel he walks through creating his holdsworth like sound but with an axe fx ultra. For instance:

Is ist possible to Detune the signal -3 cents left and +3 cents right and mix it in?

The Axe FX has a 4-Chorus Block wherein you can delay each stereo chorus and pan it. Holdsworth did something like this in the UD Stomp and Magicstomp. The settings are:

First 4 Chorus block:

1: 15ms delay, pan 50L (hard left)

2: 20ms delay, pan 40L

3: 25ms delay, pan 30L

4: 30ms delay, pan 20L

5: 35ms delay, pan 20R

6: 40ms delay, pan 30R

7: 45ms delay, pan 40R

8: 50ms delay, pan 50R (hard right)

This creates a very thick chorus without the warble. I found no chorus so versatile in the Helix...

Any ideas except buying an AXE FX ;) ???

• Upvote 1

This creates a very thick chorus without the warble. I found no chorus so versatile in the Helix...

Any ideas except buying an AXE FX ;) ???

Hi SeniHoellman,

This is what sprang into my mind when I read your query above, so you could try this as a starting point. Choose whatever amp and cab you require - Allan used various inc: Yamaha DG80 112,Hughes and Kettner, plus Hartley Thompson transistor amps.

Then, I would suggest a Dual Pitch block set at +3 and -3cents (probably needs a 8 to 10ms delay on each side). Follow that by adding couple of Multi-tap 4 delays using one for left and the other for right. Have the right side time set to 50ms and left to 30ms. You then need to Tap the T1 to T4 scale and pan to suit the other numbers you quoted. For example 30ms = 100%, 15ms = 50%, 20ms approx 66% and 25ms is approx 83%. Adjust to taste.

As I don't know which Darryl Gabel video you are referring to I don't have any audio to check what you are hearing. So, this is just to say - Yes, you can detune the signal -3 cents left and +3 cents right and mix it in and also yes, you can set up 2 blocks with variable short delay times and panning. There is possibly a much easier way to achieve this, but hey, it's just a start.

Allan programmed stacks of chorus effects for the Yamaha UD Stomp, which was a bit of a strange thing - 8 modulating delays in one box. Those nice people at Yamaha have provided a patch list  so you maybe can try to recreate some of them for yourself (or possibly, not!)

Link:

http://download.yamaha.com/api/asset/file/?language=hu&site=hu.yamaha.com&asset_id=10936

This one got me thinking so I went off to listen to the Metal Fatigue album from way back in 1985 and bashed out this patch for the track "Home". Not going for accuracy, more an overall "feel". Enjoy, use it or lose it!

https://line6.com/customtone/tone/3006949/

Edited by datacommando
  • Upvote 1

I want the Yamaha symphonic chorus effect in Helix! But I have to say, Trinity does it for me. And I'm using it now that Chorus is back in style again!

I can't yet get myself to use chorus again. I guess all the chorus in the early '90s burned me out on it.