Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Greg Howe Introspection Guitar Tones ?

MolchMon

Anyone here have any insight on how to generate any of the powerful yet clean sounding tones (lead or comp) that Greg Howe achieved on his early 90's album Introspection with the L6 Helix?

I have to say that I haven't heard anything before or since that album that has ever sounded so clean, sustained and powerful while at the same time sounding fizzless and free of super high gain. The lead tones he achieved on that album IMO make even Allan Holdsworth's lead tone sound on the highly saturated side.

Thx

Good timing for your question MolchMon.. Greg Howe's tone is indeed amazing and I was wondering the EXACT same thing just last night while working on my favorite tune off Introspection, Button Up. So, I searched through all my patches for something close and came across Glenn DeLaune's Cornford 50 patch that I purchased a few months ago (but haven't spent much time with yet). I'm still in the early stages of messing around with it but that patch may be a good starting point for you since I'm fairly certain Greg has used the Cornford MK-50 in the past. Obviously, if you can find out exactly which amp he used to record Introspection, that would probably be an even better starting point. Of course, you can always sign up for one of Greg's online Skype lessons (well worth the price, especially if you're a fan of his!) and ask him yourself. Good luck and be sure to post your findings!

EDIT: The Cornford 50 patch is included in Glenn Delaune's Boutique Amp Simulation Patches Vol 1

Ok, he gets the holy cr@p award of the day in my book. Never heard of him, but my my my, dude can play.

On very very quick initial listens, I actually like his tones on Extraction more than Introspection. But it's all good.

According to this interview Greg says he recorded most of his albums with a Fender Dual Showman with a tube screamer in front of it.  

https://www.premierguitar.com/articles/the-tone-odyssey-greg-howe-s-six-string-journey-1

Nice find!  But note that the article says he used a "modified" Fender Dual Showman so that might make it even a little more challenging to duplicate his tone.  I know absolutely nothing about that amp and I wonder what Helix models would be close?   So, I decided to "cheat" and just bought a Carl Martin Greg Howe Lick Box pedal that should arrive on Monday.  Can't wait to fire that thing up with the Helix!

Please notice the amp under the cornford.   

It is clearly the Dual Showman in question.

http://www.serious-amps.online/wp-content/uploads/2016/10/Fender-Dual-Showman-3.jpg

As far as mods go I have no idea.  He said it is like a cross between a fender and a marshall, so maybe fender gain structure/ tone stack and EL34 tubes... IDK .

These days he is playing DV mark amps.  and the Carl Martin pedal he just developed this past year.  

• 2 months later...

I recorded a few songs of Greg by using my good old Line6 X3 Live and the tone/settings are available here:
http://www.vibroworldmusic.com/component/k2/introspection
http://www.vibroworldmusic.com/jumpstartsound/JumpStart%20-%20Sound%20-%20VWM.pdf

It's not the exact copy of the original Howe sound - not even close - but I still found it usable to record his compositions.

Now, I use Helix, will create some similar tone asap ...