Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Spider IV 120 metalcore

Hello to everyone in the forum, I'm italian so apologize my bad english

I have the Spider IV 15 by years but recently I bought the Spider IV 120 and I noticed some problems about distortion, if we compare it with the Spider 15.

With the 15w i usually play some metalcore stuff and I managed to get that nice "djent" distortion with the insane channel (high bass and treble and low mid) if you know what I mean.... but with the 120w I just can't got the same sound. It seems to have much less distortion, even if I turn drive and gain knobs all the way. Moreover as I fiddle around with it, the amp does unbearable whistles and noisy sounds...

So my question is "there's something I should know about this?" because I honestly do not believe that the 120w can't sound like the 15w...

I already done the factory reset and nothing has changed

Cheers

Not sure what you mean by 'unbearable whistles and noisy sounds'.

I'm guessing that you were able to overdrive the little speaker in the 15 to get the sounds you wanted more than the 120 can be driven that way.  I'm not a 'metal person', but I have read others not being satisfied with the Spider for metal sounds and used stomp box pedals to get the tones they want.

I am not a Spider Iv owner but they can produce the metal tones. I recommend downloading Spider Edit and use it to setup the patches. Going from an 8"(?) to a 2x12 is a big jump in tonality and the EQ curves are not going to be well represented from one amp to the other.

For now skip pedals and focus on AMP/CAB combos for your editing. Low verbs and a compressor to start (just to keep things tight). EQ that puppy too.

For sure, work with the amp first to see if you can at least get close to the tones you want.  Any foot pedal will be compatible with the amp, but remember it seldom works to use distortion X distortion (i.e a foot pedal and the amp).

• Upvote 1