Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Performance View on Helix!

GazzaBloom

Makes perfect sense to have an optional performance view on the Helix for stage use. Good idea! You could see all the snapshots, stomps, or presets in one place at a glance which is easier than scanning across ten scribble strips. Don't get me wrong the scribble strips were one of the defining features that convinced me to go with the Helix, love 'em.  Performance view would give you an additional visual cue and probably make stomping on the correct switch on the fly even easier. I think performance view would be a lot more useful for performance than the current screen with its small icons that are almost invisible when you are standing up. The current screen is more optimal for editing although I love the large font for the preset name and quick access to amp/effect parameters. If you need to edit something you are probably going to kneel down to the Helix anyway and you could switch from performance view to the current default screen or leave it as it is now all the time if that is your preference. Most people already have their presets pretty much dialed in when they actually hit the stage so a screen optimized for performance would probably be more useful for many users during a show than a screen optimized for editing.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

A) Performance View is not as big and easy to see as scribble strips.

B ) You're not "scanning across the scribble strips"—if anything, you're scanning when moving your eye between Performance View and the associated switch.

C) Performance View is a layer of obfuscation. A required one that only takes a single button press to remove (Pro Tip: or holding MODE and TAP), but obfuscation nonetheless.

D) Helix and Helix Rack/Control's scribble strips can show 10 stomps at a time. LT's Performance View can show 8.

E) We might have other ideas for what Performance View might mean for Helix and Helix Rack/Control.

• Upvote 1

I think it is safe to say that, at least for the foreseeable future DI is not exactly enthused about the idea of including a Performance view in the Helix. His point "E" does sound like some variation that is even more useful for the Helix and Helix Rack could be percolating though. I am just delighted to see the Helix LT join the Helix family as well as the impending release of Helix Native. The fact that L6 has invested heavily in this family of products bodes well for future development and I look forward to them sharing innovations, or variations of them, across the product line where appropriate. I do appreciate that what works well for one product may not always be ideal for all.

• 3 years later...

I own both: an LT and Helix floor model.  I got the Helix floor after I got the LT and got it as a backup, yes that's right a backup.  I find the scribble strips difficult to read, they reflect the light more than the main screen.  Plus the giant camera icon... Plus it's not clear if the snapshot is selected or not.  In short, I prefer the LT layout hands down.  I wish they had an LT with a solid expression pedal, that would be a perfect unit.  

I have an LT and use Performance view in the 4 snapshots + 4 stomp mode. Performance view works very well, and I used to imagine it might be equal or even better than scribble strips (though I do not have an Helix floor to compare). However, if I focus on how I actually use the display and footswitches during rehearsal and live, I mainly rely on the color code and position I have assigned to the snaps and stomps footswitches (e.g, all cleans are white, all drives are yellow, all leads are orange ...). I only  look at the performance view screen if I need to recall to myself what is what. In that sense, the scribble strips much likely do a better job.