Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Ernie Ball

klutzee

Hello all. I don't think I've ever posted here yet...so hey!!!

I have a question about using an Ernie Ball volume padal.

I have read two different opinions on this forum about using the 25k pot and the 250k pot. I don't know which one is best for my use.

I want to use it mainly as a volume pedal. I think I'd rather use it to control a volume parameter as opposed to using it in a send/return. I would assume I would get some tone degradation this way.

What pedal should I get...25 or 250 and why???

Thanks

The 250K is for passive pickups, the 25K is for active pickups. (I've always thought it should be the other way around, does anyone know why the higher resistance pot is used for lower powered signals?)

I assume the reason you want to use it as a controller rather than in your signal chain is because some people say it "sucks tone" from your signal. But keep in mind that what they are describing is the fact that it rolls off the high end of your signal as it reduces your volume. (I guess some have said that plugging a tuner into the tuner out jack sucks tone as well, but I've never done it.) I, like many others, don't consider that a bad thing because it is actually a very musical side-effect. Since I've never noticed any rolling off when it is fully open, there is no downside in my mind. At least do yourself a favor and try it that way before relegating it to a controller.

• Upvote 1

Yeah in the expression pedal jack preferably.

So I understand that there is a difference when using it as an actual volume pedal with your signal going through it but is there a difference when using it as an expression pedal?

Like right here in this thread there seems to be two people using it the same way but both using a different version.

I guess either must work...is there an advantage or disadvantage to either the 25k pot or the 250k pot when using it as an expression pedal to control volume parameters??

Thanks for all of your answers!!!

• 1 year later...
On 5/11/2017 at 2:30 PM, rzumwalt said:

The 250K is for passive pickups, the 25K is for active pickups. (I've always thought it should be the other way around, does anyone know why the higher resistance pot is used for lower powered signals?)

I assume the reason you want to use it as a controller rather than in your signal chain is because some people say it "sucks tone" from your signal. But keep in mind that what they are describing is the fact that it rolls off the high end of your signal as it reduces your volume. (I guess some have said that plugging a tuner into the tuner out jack sucks tone as well, but I've never done it.) I, like many others, don't consider that a bad thing because it is actually a very musical side-effect. Since I've never noticed any rolling off when it is fully open, there is no downside in my mind. At least do yourself a favor and try it that way before relegating it to a controller.

FYIF: 250K is a smaller load, less current required, to produce a given voltage for a source like passive pickups. Active pickups have active, battery powered, devices in them which allows them to drive larger loads (smaller resistance, more current) at the same voltage.

• Like 1

• 9 months later...

Hello everybody and sorry to bother you if the question has been already asked and/or answered but I haven't find the one I need. I have the  Helix LT and a beautiful Ernie Ball VP JR 250K. I would like to know:

- how to rig it to be used  as VOLUME using plug EXP 2 and NOT between my guitar and Helix's "guitar in" plug;

- how to rig it to be used as an external expression pedal through EXP 2 plug (I'd like to use it as wha, if possible).

Thanks!! :)

5 hours ago, Jadea61 said:

Hello everybody and sorry to bother you if the question has been already asked and/or answered but I haven't find the one I need. I have the  Helix LT and a beautiful Ernie Ball VP JR 250K. I would like to know:

- how to rig it to be used  as VOLUME using plug EXP 2 and NOT between my guitar and Helix's "guitar in" plug;

- how to rig it to be used as an external expression pedal through EXP 2 plug (I'd like to use it as wha, if possible).

Thanks!! :)

You have to create a volume block in your signal chain and assign that block to be controlled by exp 2. Same with a wah... place the wah block in the signal chain and assign it to be controlled by exp 2.

• Like 1

On 4/17/2019 at 11:01 PM, Rocco_Crocco said:

You have to create a volume block in your signal chain and assign that block to be controlled by exp 2. Same with a wah... place the wah block in the signal chain and assign it to be controlled by exp 2.

Many thanks for the prompt answer. Do I need to connect the ernie ball using a simple TS cable from the OUT of EB or should I use a "Y" cable mono TS+TS (IN and OUT of the EB) and a stereo TRS into the Helix LT EXP 2? Is there any hint to have these changes to affect ALL the patches or should apply them manually? :) 

4 minutes ago, Jadea61 said:

Many thanks for the prompt answer. Do I need to connect the ernie ball using a simple TS cable from the OUT of EB or should I use a "Y" cable mono TS+TS (IN and OUT of the EB) and a stereo TRS into the Helix LT EXP 2? Is there any hint to have these changes to affect ALL the patches or should apply them manually? :) 

Volume pedals that work as EXP with HX products only need a simple guitar cable TS->TS, from the EXP jack on the HX product to the OUTPUT jack on the pedal. NO TRS or SEND/RETURN or special cable needed.

• Upvote 1

• 1 year later...
On 4/23/2019 at 1:38 PM, PeterHamm said:

Volume pedals that work as EXP with HX products only need a simple guitar cable TS->TS, from the EXP jack on the HX product to the OUTPUT jack on the pedal. NO TRS or SEND/RETURN or special cable needed.

What affordable exp, pedal do you recomend? Couple of suggestions will be much appreciated. I have a HX effects 

• 2 months later...
On 5/11/2017 at 3:37 PM, klangmaler said:

Use the 250k version. I have the 6180 VPJR.

Why? 'cause it works! ;)

I have a 6180. When I am at full toe down, the volume goes back to 0. I inverted the polarity so the 100 is no longer in the middle but I still can figure out how to fix the full toe down problem. Slightly before full toe down I am at 100. Do you have the same issue ? 

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
On 1/19/2021 at 5:48 AM, dethioux said:

I have a 6180. When I am at full toe down, the volume goes back to 0. I inverted the polarity so the 100 is no longer in the middle but I still can figure out how to fix the full toe down problem. Slightly before full toe down I am at 100. Do you have the same issue ? 

Did you ever fix this problem? I just go a HX stomp XL and am having the same problem with the 250k Ernie ball. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, milet22 said:

Did you ever fix this problem? I just go a HX stomp XL and am having the same problem with the 250k Ernie ball. 

Hi,

You might want to check this thread and follow the links - save me from typing it all out again.

Hope this helps/makes sense.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• 7 months later...

I appreciated the suggestions and help. Unfortunately I could never get it work properly. I decided to sell my Ernie ball and get a Dunlop mini volume pedal. It’s great because it’s half the size and is designed to operate both volume pedal and an expression pedal. 

On 5/28/2021 at 2:13 PM, datacommando said:

Hi,

You might want to check this thread and follow the links - save me from typing it all out again.

Hope this helps/makes sense.

• Thanks 1