Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Can't send MMC

penningt

Hi

I am using the template "Daw Remote (MMC)" as I'd like to control the transport on various applications on my pc.

On helix I have set global setting to "send midi pc" to "usb and midi", but when I select any of the messages (play, stop etc) in the template nothing is received on my pc software.

I am able to send midi cc an clock without any problems.

I am using 2.21 firmware - wondered if anyone else is having problems with sending MMC?

Thanks

Tim

Have you confirmed that the PC or the DAW is not in fact receiving the MIDI message? You usually have to connect to the MIDI device (Helix, in this case) in the DAW software itself, like connecting to an audio source. But it sounds like you already did this since you received MIDI cc and clock. 

Or it could be that MIDI pc messages don't do anything in your DAW. I've only ever seen transport controls operated by MICI cc messages. And forgive me if you already know this, but I have to make sure, are you interpreting MIDI pc as "personal computer" rather than "program change." From your wording, it could be that the acronym "pc" has caused you to think it was meant for a personal computer. I only ask because it's the type of mistake I would make.

I used MIDIOX to confirm that the Helix was actually sending MMC (sysex) messages.

Using Sonar, I was totally unable to get it to work. I'd try getting their Support involved, but they're useless since Gibson bought Cakewalk.

I've been using a Korg nanoKontrol2 for transport control. The Korg is recognized as a control surface by Sonar, and by using MIDIOX I was able to see what it's actually sending (NOTEs) and program the Helix, no problem.

I'm going to try the Sonar forum to see if it's possible to use the MMC method, and will report back if I succeed. There may be a correlation with what you're doing. In the meantime, you didn't say what DAW or other apps you're trying to control. Check their documentation, you may be able to use NOTEs or CCs instead of MMC.

Have you confirmed that the PC or the DAW is not in fact receiving the MIDI message? You usually have to connect to the MIDI device (Helix, in this case) in the DAW software itself, like connecting to an audio source. But it sounds like you already did this since you received MIDI cc and clock. 

Or it could be that MIDI pc messages don't do anything in your DAW. I've only ever seen transport controls operated by MICI cc messages. And forgive me if you already know this, but I have to make sure, are you interpreting MIDI pc as "personal computer" rather than "program change." From your wording, it could be that the acronym "pc" has caused you to think it was meant for a personal computer. I only ask because it's the type of mistake I would make.

Hi rzumwalt - thanks for your message. I am aware pc stands for program change - reading my post back I understand why you asked the question.  I am trying this with Reason and Maschine - in both cases the transport is not responding to MMC.  However I was surprised to see Reason responding to MMC when selecting (just as a test) Helix as a control surface.

In addition I have also hooked Helix up to the midi monitor in Plogue Bidule and - it shows midi clock coming in but not MMC but maybe that's because Bidule doesn't detect MMC.

I'll keep looking - thanks for your help. 

I used MIDIOX to confirm that the Helix was actually sending MMC (sysex) messages.

Using Sonar, I was totally unable to get it to work. I'd try getting their Support involved, but they're useless since Gibson bought Cakewalk.

I've been using a Korg nanoKontrol2 for transport control. The Korg is recognized as a control surface by Sonar, and by using MIDIOX I was able to see what it's actually sending (NOTEs) and program the Helix, no problem.

I'm going to try the Sonar forum to see if it's possible to use the MMC method, and will report back if I succeed. There may be a correlation with what you're doing. In the meantime, you didn't say what DAW or other apps you're trying to control. Check their documentation, you may be able to use NOTEs or CCs instead of MMC.

Hi rd2rk - I am trying to use Reason and Maschine - they're picking up the clock but not the transport.  I'll keep trying things out and see how I get on...

Thanks for your help.

Tim

I've just installed MIDIOX and I can confirm that it is detecting the MMC messages from Helix - so I guess this is an implementation issue with the applications I am trying to control - Maschine and Reason.

I've just installed MIDIOX and I can confirm that it is detecting the MMC messages from Helix - so I guess this is an implementation issue with the applications I am trying to control - Maschine and Reason.

Machine is a "Drum Controller".  These are normally, by default, set to communicate on channel 10.  Not channel 1 which is a typical default channel.  Just saying . . . . . .

Good luck

Bo Baker

• 3 months later...

Turned out that Sonar is simply incompatible with MMC. You should try Support for your applications, though my experience with NI (for Guitar Rig) was not encouraging, Maschine is one of their mainline products, so support for that might be better. I've heard that Propellorhead also has less than stellar support, and my experience trying to use Re-wire seems to support that. You would probably have better luck trying to get help through the respective forums.

As I wound up using standard Note messages to control the transport functions in Sonar and Ableton Live, you may be able to do that in Reason and Maschine. A quick look at their respective user guides indicates that Maschine uses Notes to select scenes, and that Reason uses CCs to control it's devices. I don't use either program, so your best bet, if you can't find solutions in their user guides, would be their forums.

BTW - Ableton Live uses the same Notes for the transport functions as Sonar - STOP=Note A6/093;Start/Play=A#6/094;Record=B6/095

Here's a screenshot of my Preferences in LIVE

EDIT: Image removed to reclaim Attachment Allotment