Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Looking for HD500X rock/metal patches made using headphones

silentshadow121

Like the topic says, im looking for patches made using headphones for personal use. Im new to the HD500x and if i can get some tones to work with, it will give me a better idea what to use and how to exactly use it. Most patches seem to be made for big amps but i have to stay quiet, making it quite the learnong curve with little time i can dedicate.

The leaving curve sucks, but shortcuts are few, and mostly ineffective. You're always gonna have trouble trying to use other people's tones. Too many variables, and the pair of cans you choose are right up there at the top of the list of things that will affect your tone the most. At least half your tone is dependent on how you're listening, whether it's an amp, studio monitors, or headphones... and not all cans are created equal...I've got 3 sets sitting here, and each is good for certain applications, but any given patch will sound different depending on which pair I grab...sometimes very different

Experimentation (and lots of it) is really the only way to find the tones you're looking for. Start simple with just the amp model, mic, and cab models. Dial in a basic tone before you start messing with FX or additional EQ (beyond the amp's basic tone controls). Much can be accomplished with the cab's deep edit parameters (low cut, thump, resonance, and decay). Also make sure that your output mode is set to "studio direct" for use with headphones. The others will sound irretrievably awful.

Most patches seem to be made for big amps

Nobody uses a modeler AND big amps. It defeats the purpose of having a modeler. 

We use modelers so that we don't have to carry around big amps but we still sound like we use big amps because we use modelers.

• Upvote 2

Here's all my HD500X presets for the album I've been working on: existence.hd500x.zip About half the album is done with the HD500X. The rest is done with Helix.

They are all done through a Sony MDR-7506 or MDR-V6. Also, I did not use the headphone output from the HD500X. I used the spdif output, converted that to an optical signal, then to an internal pci-e soundcard, and finally a headphone output from that.

I should also note that I didn't necessarily make any of these tones as standalone or isolated. They are meant to work in context, or by song. I also listened to this context on as many different sound systems as I could get access to.

Maybe it'll help you, or not. But here it is if you want to take a look.

• Upvote 1

Here's all my HD500X presets for the album I've been working on: attachicon.gifexistence.hd500x.zip About half the album is done with the HD500X. The rest is done with Helix.

They are all done through a Sony MDR-7506 or MDR-V6. Also, I did not use the headphone output from the HD500X. I used the spdif output, converted that to an optical signal, then to an internal pci-e soundcard, and finally a headphone output from that.

I should also note that I didn't necessarily make any of these tones as standalone or isolated. They are meant to work in context, or by song. I also listened to this context on as many different sound systems as I could get access to.

Maybe it'll help you, or not. But here it is if you want to take a look.

Score! Muhaha!! BTW OP do check out Duncan's link - its a good one.

• Upvote 1

Nobody uses a modeler AND big amps. It defeats the purpose of having a modeler.

We use modelers so that we don't have to carry around big amps but we still sound like we use big amps because we use modelers.

Well contrary to this statement MANY patches state the 4CM method for cabs/PA to obtain they tone they have created..soo yeahh

I haven't been able to go straight into the P.A. yet.  My tone is close but not good enough when I do that.  I'm working on it though.  That's the end goal.

I <3 that tiger striped Jackson btw!

I've had that guitar a long time.  Always liked the way Jackson guitars played.  Ibanez is nice too.  Never was a Gibson person.  They always felt awkward to me.  Gibson sounds great, which is why I have a Gibson pickup in my Jackson.

• Upvote 1