Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

JTV-69s no sound from models or alternate tunings

Hello all,

I purchased a JTV-69S from eBay listed as "For repair". The magnetic pickups work fine but no sound from the models and no change when using alternate tuning knob. The model knob does not light up. Is there an easy way to trouble-shoot this and determine which part(s) needs to be replaced? I'm assuming that it is either a bad main board or bad piezos?

I've tried all of the re-flashing, flashing, model knob pulling and pushing and nothing worked. I have screen shots from Monkey and Workbench HD. They both see the JTV-69 but I still have no sound from the model, no lights on the model knob and no alternate tuning dial.

Any assistance is appreciated :-)

Thanks!

post-511146-0-91861900-1494705237_thumb.pngpost-511146-0-33150200-1494705350_thumb.png

The fact that your HD WB software ID's that you have a JTV-69 connected with the FW identified tells me the main board is probably not pooched. Alt tuning only works with the models, so yep, that won't work unless you have the models going. One of the most common afflictions reported by users who can't get to their models is the model knob won't depress far enough to engage the switch in/out of the models/mags.. The most common "solution" is to gently pull the model knob off and put some sort of spacer - most use a wadded up piece of paper in the knob to make it sit a little higher on the shaft, so it doesn't bottom out on the surface of the guitar.

I've been lucky with my 2 JTV's - a 59 & a 69S and never had this issue, but it's been reported here on the forums a lot. Give that a try. If that doesn't do it, open a support ticket.

Good luck,

Dave

It's not likely to be six bad piezos, but perhaps a soldering or connection issue between the piezo board and the main board.

The fact that the modeling light does not come on when you depress the knob suggests the problem is with model engagement. Faulty connection in/under the knob shaft?

Carefully pull up the knob and engage the Models without the knob on the shaft.

Unplug it before putting the knob back on.

If it lights up with the knob off the shaft, then it's a mechanical alignment issue.

If it doesn't light up, then it can be be one of four things, and will need to be checked

out and serviced by someone who knows the product, or come back to me for some TLC.

Carefully pull up the knob and engage the Models without the knob on the shaft.

Unplug it before putting the knob back on.

If it lights up with the knob off the shaft, then it's a mechanical alignment issue.

If it doesn't light up, then it can be be one of four things, and will need to be checked

out and serviced by someone who knows the product, or come back to me for some TLC.

It's not likely to be six bad piezos, but perhaps a soldering or connection issue between the piezo board and the main board.

The fact that the modeling light does not come on when you depress the knob suggests the problem is with model engagement. Faulty connection in/under the knob shaft?

The fact that your HD WB software ID's that you have a JTV-69 connected with the FW identified tells me the main board is probably not pooched. Alt tuning only works with the models, so yep, that won't work unless you have the models going. One of the most common afflictions reported by users who can't get to their models is the model knob won't depress far enough to engage the switch in/out of the models/mags.. The most common "solution" is to gently pull the model knob off and put some sort of spacer - most use a wadded up piece of paper in the knob to make it sit a little higher on the shaft, so it doesn't bottom out on the surface of the guitar.

I've been lucky with my 2 JTV's - a 59 & a 69S and never had this issue, but it's been reported here on the forums a lot. Give that a try. If that doesn't do it, open a support ticket.

Good luck,

Dave

Thanks for the responses everyone,

I have tried the knob method and still no luck. Maybe I'm doing something wrong idk. I'll try opening a support ticket.