Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Piezo Maintenance and Repair

Hi Folks,

I have a 69JTV and 59JTV. The issue is that I live in Hawaii and sending it to the mainland to get serviced is cost prohibitive. The low E on the 69 is breaking up and cutting out so its time to see what I can do. If I am unsuccessful then I will send it to a shop. I wanted to compile all I can about how to maintain or replace the piezos.

1. Recommend a contact cleaner spray?

2. What is the translucent insulation over the contacts in the video below and how do I replace it?

3. Is there and easier way to just clean them without unsoldering the wires?

4. Any suggestions?

Hi Folks,

I have a 69JTV and 59JTV. The issue is that I live in Hawaii and sending it to the mainland to get serviced is cost prohibitive. The low E on the 69 is breaking up and cutting out so its time to see what I can do. If I am unsuccessful then I will send it to a shop. I wanted to compile all I can about how to maintain or replace the piezos.

1. Recommend a contact cleaner spray?

2. What is the translucent insulation over the contacts in the video below and how do I replace it?

3. Is there and easier way to just clean them without unsoldering the wires?

4. Any suggestions?

Surely you can buy replacements from full compass?

• Upvote 1

My high E string had to be resoldered from the factory.Hanging by a thread.I would properly resolder all of them first. My high E had all the symptoms of piezo failure but when I examined it under my bench magnifier I could see it had barely been soldered at the factory. Works perfectly now.

My high E string had to be resoldered from the factory.Hanging by a thread.I would properly resolder all of them first. My high E had all the symptoms of piezo failure but when I examined it under my bench magnifier I could see it had barely been soldered at the factory. Works perfectly now.

With me it was the low E and it seemed fine for a bout a year or so before problems arose. So It might just need cleaning. I have heard that there are problems with the grounding of the JTV but not sure if I can do anything about this.

• 9 months later...

Hi

I have had problems with my American JTV 69....the B string piezo  started to become intermittent ,

when I investigated, the wire from the pickup to the board  broke away from the board as soon as I touched it...

I cleaned the wire and desoldered...Job done.

Today while playing the D string went dull...then intermittent. Started to investigate once again....the pickup wire

was firmly attached to the board so I unsoldered it then resoldered....job done again.

This is just to say that you may not need to replace a piezo pickup....it may be just a dry joint.

Hope this helps  

Mike

• Like 1

One of the problems with the JTV-69 is the little holder the piezo sits in is how it connects to ground. So if it gets dirty in there (which it will) you will get the symptoms you describe. The best cleaner is this.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/DeoxIT--caig-laboratories-deoxit?mrkgcl=28&mrkgadid=3274464269&rkg_id=h-a38e64ade72c1a50e310b22c899affeb_t-1520540996&product_id=DeoxIT&campaigntype=shopping&campaign=aaShopping%2520-%2520Core%2520-%2520Live%2520Sound%2520%26%2520Lighting&adgroup=Live%2520Sound%2520%26%2520Lighting%2520-%2520Live%2520Sound%2520Accessories&placement=google&adpos=1o1&creative=250341283160&device=c&matchtype=&network=g&gclid=CjwKCAiA24PVBRBvEiwAyBxf-advGo5TDSeS6UAshLwRCYsQVtsCyPIzy0MEpdOseWc-BaT7qMCmwxoCKysQAvD_BwE

Don't worry about overspray. Next time you change your strings, spray in in there. The piezo just sits in there. The soldering refers to, I believe, the wire that's attached to the piezo. Easier to just buy one from FullCompass as was suggested.

http://www.fullcompass.com/prod/234088-Line-6-11-00-0010

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/19/2018 at 10:16 AM, specracer986 said:

The tops of some of my piezo's appear to be getting a groove from the strings. Is this going to become a problem as far as making connection? It's pretty small right now, but I can feel it with my finger nail. 

Don't think anybody's gonna be able to predict that for you... worry about it if/when it starts acting weird. 

• Upvote 1