Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix with Nylon String Acoustic Electric

BuleriaChk

This is an update to a previous suggestion....

I have found that the mic preamp instead of a guitar/cab is a great starting place for a clean enhanced sound.  I have several nylon string Flamenco guitars with Takamine CoolTube preamps and palathetic pickups which give me a great sound into FRFR without any modification.  All sound fantastic through the Helix by substituting the Mic preamp for the guitar amp/cabinet selections (there are some of those that sound good by turning the gain way down), but the Mic preamp preserves the articulation of the strings, so one can scroll through the Factory presets testing effects for the different presets (distortions, reverbs, etc.).

I only wish Line 6 would provide a global option to assign one preamp/amp for all patches, so I wouldn't have to change each one.

I'm a little uncomfortable for spending $900+ for a simple mic preamp, but it really does sound far better than anything else I have tried to date....   Well, what the heck, it is still less expensive than any one of my Flamenco guitars.... :)

do you go in the guitar input or one of the returns? I found going into the regular input to be rather unkind to the acoustc guitar tone. In fact i tend to throw my zoom acoustic preamp in my bag for acoustic duties. I just cant seem to be happy with the helix for acoustic. Do you gig with the setup? is it solo or in a band situation?

do you go in the guitar input or one of the returns? I found going into the regular input to be rather unkind to the acoustc guitar tone. In fact i tend to throw my zoom acoustic preamp in my bag for acoustic duties. I just cant seem to be happy with the helix for acoustic. Do you gig with the setup? is it solo or in a band situation?

Well, I go into the regular guitar input; without any effects it sounds exactly the same as into other FRFR amps I have.  Of course, the Takamine pickup preamp here is key - the signal from the jack is pristine to begin with (I have compared it to mics, and there is very little, if any, difference.)

I'm solo right now, and not playing with a band (this is Flamenco).  Right now I'm just learning and experimenting; I compared the mic preamp in Helix with those in Pod Farm 2.5, and Helix walked all over all of them, IMO... 

I also compared with NI versions, and Helix still came out way ahead...