Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Using The Pod Hd500 With A Di Box?

Alsklaftsk123

Hi, i wonder, if i use my pod hd500 direct out with the l/mono 1/4" jack to my passive beringher ultra di-600p DI box. At the input at this box you can either choose between instrument and amp (depending on the indipendence of the signal or something). Amp adds an attenuator at -30db or something like that. What shuld i set it do when using the pod direct?

Set it to "instrument"

"Amp" is for parallel use to the speaker after an amp.

Why do you use the DI-box?

You can plug the XLR direct in the POD HD500.

If you use dual amp and stereo in you POD you can pan both mixer channels to middle. Thats the way I do it if I only can use one channel in the main mixer. That works fine and is mono. But the sound ist better :-)

...If you use dual amp and stereo in you POD you can pan both mixer channels to middle. Thats the way I do it if I only can use one channel in the main mixer. That works fine and is mono. But the sound ist better :-)

Actually the XLR outputs on the HD500 never sum to mono, no matter what, from what I've gathered from previous posts.

I use the L/Mono out with the HD500 set to studio/Direct output and the Line/Amp switch set to Line.

I run to a DI box with "Instrument" setting, and out with an XLR to the snake.

I would love to have a stereo XLR output that only uses one mixer channel, but that seems to be a pipe dream.

• Upvote 1

Actually the XLR outputs on the HD500 never sum to mono

Yes, thats right, that's the fact why I put both HD500-mixer-pans from "100%left" & "100%right" to "middle". That's the way to get a mono-signal out of both XLR.

I would love to have a stereo XLR output that only uses one mixer channel, but that seems to be a pipe dream.

Some mixers have not only mono-channels. They have some stereo-channels. But mostly not with two XLR. They use stereo 1/4" jacks for symmetric input.

So if your snake have enough XLR cores that you can use both XLR from the HD500, you need two adapters from XLR to 1/4"-stereo to use the stereo-channel of the mixer. :)

I play two instruments and use the dual-amp-function of the HD500. I use the left XLR for violin and the right XLR for guitar.

Some of my violin-sounds are not dual-amp, so I only use the left channel. Then both HD500-mixer-pans are 100% left.

Some of my guitar-sounds are not dual-amp, so I only use the right channel. Then both HD500-mixer-pans are 100% right.

When I practice at home with headphones I use a trick to hear both instruments in the middle of my head:

The last "effect" in the chain is the "fx-loop". If I play in church it is turned off. If I practice at home it is turned on and a short mono-1/4"-cable goes from "send" to "return R/mono"... Thats the way to get a real-mono-signal out of the HD500 - no matter which output. It's mono in headphones, 1/4" and XLR :D

Yes, thats right, that's the fact why I put both HD500-mixer-pans from "100%left" & "100%right" to "middle". That's the way to get a mono-signal out of both XLR.

sorry volkerwassermann that isn't true!

Bushman2 was exactly right: "the XLR outputs on the HD500 never sum to mono"

no matter what

putting the pan to center is not going to mix anything to mono

each path (A and B ) is stereo and the mixer "pan" is mislabeled, it's actually a balance knob of a stereo mixer channel

this means that if you move the pan/balance to one side (e.g.: left) it acts on the stereo signal by doing NOTHING on that side (left) and ATTENUATING the opposite side (right)

if you put it in the center it's just passing the left signal of the respective path to left out and the right to the right

so in your application everything is fine, but you've got to know that if you use a stereo effect on path A for example and you pan it 100% Left you are loosing the right side of the effect (not that this is a big deal )

see my post here for a quick experiment that prooves that:

http://line6.com/support/topic/2617-using-both-line-out-and-xlr-out/?do=findComment&comment=18005

and if you are interested in thoroughly understanding the pod HD signal routing, I invite you to read this post of mine and to look at my schematics:

http://line6.com/support/topic/2033-pod-hd-500-500x-routing-schematics/

• Upvote 1

Ok, I never use stereo-effects in Channel A or B, I use them only after the mixer. And so I didn't hear, that A & B are also stereo :)

But the trick with the short cable in the activated fx-loop at the end of the chain works definitely ;)  With that method you get real mono  :)  - so your "never" is right with the mixer pan, but wrong in that case :)

But the trick with the short cable in the activated fx-loop at the end of the chain works definitely ;)  With that method you get real mono  :)  - so your "never" is right with the mixer pan, but wrong in that case :)

yes of course you're right! :-)

the correct phrasing would be

"neither the mixer nor the XLR outputs have the ability to mix to mono"

by the way, to mix to mono at the end of the chain, you could also use a noise gate with [0 decay; 0 threshold], instead of the fx loop;

this way you don't have to use an additional patch cable

bye

Lore

by the way, to mix to mono at the end of the chain, you could also use a noise gate with [0 decay; 0 threshold], instead of the fx loop;

this way you don't have to use an additional patch cable

Coooool :D

I'll try that!

The advantage is not only the patch cable. It's the noise of the changing to analog and back to digital :D