Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

4 Cable Method Woes

purptiger

Everyone is probably tired of seeing questions about the 4 cable method, but here comes another one.

I have the cables all plugged in correctly into the Fender Hot Rod Deluxe. I have the send/return right before the amp model in the Helix. I have hardly any volume when I try to switch between the Helix model and the HRD. I have one FS toggled to turn on the S/R and then another FS to toggle on the Helix model. I have not figured how to do it with one press of the FS. I am still trying to figure out the assigns. Also there appears to be much hum and hiss when trying 4 cable method. Anyone have any advice?

• Upvote 1

Yah...my advice is get a FRFR speaker....

:P

What he said...

But if you're still determined to use the amp, just do this:

Guitar--->Helix--->FX return.

All you need the amp for is power. The 4cm is only useful if you want to get your basic tone from the amp itself, instead of Helix. Otherwise all the 4cm accomplishes is using up more cables. And if you want to get your tone from the amp, that's fine... but it begs the question, why bother with Helix at all?

All you need the amp for is power. The 4cm is only useful if you want to get your basic tone from the amp itself, instead of Helix. Otherwise all the 4cm accomplishes is using up more cables. And if you want to get your tone from the amp, that's fine... but it begs the question, why bother with Helix at all?

Well...the question it really begs is....would you rather play with cables, or play the guitar???   :lol:

So let me get this straight. You're going:

Guitar > Helix In > Helix loop send > HRD Input > HRD send > Helix loop return > HRD model in the Helix (switchable) > Helix output >HRD Power amp in

And you're saying that you're basically trying to switch between them (which I'm sure you can turn one thing off and another on with one tap of the switch).

So: which do you have very little volume? The Helix model or the HRD? As far as hum/noise goes, be sure you're plugged into the same power source. I think at this point it might just be use error and you'll figure it out and shake your head over how you could miss something so obvious lol but it sounds like to that there's something overlooked in your gain staging or how you have the various ins/outs assigned.

I plan on doing this same exact setup with my Mark IV, so I have a vested interest in you figuring this out :)

Any in or out on the helix can go between line and instrument level. Obviously the output for the cable going from helix to your amp in should be instrument, now the cables from and to your loop, they should be instrument or line, depending on what the effects loop is built for, pedals (instrument) or rack gear (line)

I love 4 cable method...very simple to do and gives me every option. I am not a gigging guitarist so no moving of equipment. I also now have 2 Laney IRT-X's for a wet dry wet situation. So every option is available...stereo modeling...helix amps...my amp...yeah it's a lot of cables..but I can now use Helix at its full potential!!

• Upvote 2

There is something you should be aware of in regard to hum with 4CM.  If you are using the ext.amp for channel switching, there is a good chance you will create a ground loop.  You can test this by simply removing the cable connected to ext.amp and see if the hum goes away.  Many users have experienced this, including me.  The relays in the Helix seem to be grounded instead of isolated.  My solution was an RJM Switch Gizmo.

• Upvote 1

I'd have to take a look at your actual patch to be of much help with the 4-cable method.

To assign both functions to the same footswitch, toggle to the send/return block and touch a footswitch for 2 seconds, select ok.  Toggle to the amp block and touch the SAME footswitch for 2 seconds, select ok.

• 5 months later...

Everyone is probably tired of seeing questions about the 4 cable method, but here comes another one.

I have the cables all plugged in correctly into the Fender Hot Rod Deluxe. I have the send/return right before the amp model in the Helix. I have hardly any volume when I try to switch between the Helix model and the HRD. I have one FS toggled to turn on the S/R and then another FS to toggle on the Helix model. I have not figured how to do it with one press of the FS. I am still trying to figure out the assigns. Also there appears to be much hum and hiss when trying 4 cable method. Anyone have any advice?

Get something to break the ground loop; and make liberal use of the input block noise gates and the noise gate effect block!

I am getting all sorts of mess with the USB and my amp connected; trying to troubleshoot that myself tonight..

One thing helped alot; Ebtech HE2 I think; it's like $75 or something, two channel takes TS or TRS, so technically could be two stereo channels lifted, I just use it as two mono, usually the two cables from amp fx loop send and return. Though I might try the amp input too, see if that makes any better or worse..

I was using it previously with Strymon pedals to feed two amps to run stereo, into the two fx loop returns. Haven't tried that with the Helix yet!

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Hum

I'm using a dedicated patch in Helix using a 4 cable method (a dedicated FX-Loop) for my Marshall DSL 100h feeding a Torpedo Captor, which I line out into my Mixer( and then into a pair of Friedman ASM-12's). I do all of this because I love the tones I am getting from the Marshall thru the Captor Load box, into a pair of great sounding FRFR speakers. So the point here is there are a thousand ways to setup and use Helix with outboard gear, which is just one reason out of many why I just love it. 

One thing I might add to get rid of the noise (different ground potential) between Helix and the amp itself is to use a Behringer HD-400 humm Destroyer between the send of Helix and the amp's input. Works like a charm for me!

On my Blues Deluxe Reissue, if I try to use the channel switching circuit with Helix, I get crazy buzz. I just leave the amp on channel 1 or channel 2 and don't try to channel change with Helix. 

Maybe post a picture of your preset so we can see your routing.