Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

HD500 to single studio monitor

marrav

I just purchased a KRK Rokit 6 G3 that I'd like to connect to my HD500 to basically use instead of an amp.  I'm confused on what cable to use and what output to plug into.  The KRK has the following inputs:

1. TRS Balanced 1/4"

2. XLR Balanced

3. RCA unbalanced

I'd like to have stereo to the single monitor if possible.  The guy at Guitar center sold me a 1/4" Y cable but it sounds really quite and not that great when I plug it into both outputs on the back and into the single balanced input of the monitor.  I am also not very sure on what settings to tweak on the POD HD500 or the monitor to hopefully dial it in.  I was under the impression that this monitor would be pretty loud (I don't play out but I jam with my son on his drums so I'd like to be able to keep up with his drums).  So far I'm not impressed but I feel like it could simply be because I have it connected incorrectly.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

...I was under the impression that this monitor would be pretty loud (I don't play out but I jam with my son on his drums so I'd like to be able to keep up with his drums)...

Even when you get it correctly connected, which will most likely be one of the balanced HD500 XLR Outputs (mono) to the KRK Balanced XLR input, that studio monitor speaker is not designed to put out enough power to really compete with most live drummers. If you try a Y-Cable, you are probably getting some phase cancellation which is dropping the volume even further.

Even when you get it correctly connected, which will most likely be one of the balanced HD500 XLR Outputs (mono) to the KRK Balanced XLR input, that studio monitor speaker is not designed to put out enough power to really compete with most live drummers. If you try a Y-Cable, you are probably getting some phase cancellation which is dropping the volume even further.

So I should return it?  I've read a few threads that speak highly of running into studio monitors.  My problem is right now I have the DT50 2x12 combo but it's way too loud for a house setting and doesn't sound great at low volumes.  So I'd like to have something that sounds good at bedroom volumes.  My son plays electric drums (for the same reason) and can control the volume on his amp for the drums.  I don't mind returning it if it's not going to achieve what I want but can someone suggest a better option?

doesn't matter which jack out you choose, both L or R when used alone sum any eventual stereo signal to mono

And not to put too fine a point on it, but sending a stereo signal to a single speaker is useless anyway... if he wants stereo, he needs a pair of monitors.

For a good FRFR that can go quiet or LOUD Altos are tough to beat. We run two for our practice PA and they don't distort or rattle. Add a small mixer and you can also add vocals to your family jams. The 10" are not bad either as the 12" is big. But those are suggestions if you find the studio monitors cannot deliver the volume you need.

For a good FRFR that can go quiet or LOUD Altos are tough to beat. We run two for our practice PA and they don't distort or rattle. Add a small mixer and you can also add vocals to your family jams. The 10" are not bad either as the 12" is big. But those are suggestions if you find the studio monitors cannot deliver the volume you need.

For the price, it seems like this may be the smarter route.  It's only about $50 more than what I spent on the 1 monitor so I may just return the monitor and pick up one of these instead.

For the price, it seems like this may be the smarter route.  It's only about $50 more than what I spent on the 1 monitor so I may just return the monitor and pick up one of these instead.

Its a toughie as the KRKs have a real good rep but as Napynap said "power" - for a DAW KRKS no guesswork there but in a jam situation is the question. If you tangle with a real drum kit things get loud quick and a bass just eats a room. Don't underestimate the 10" either. If you can take the HD with you and take both for a demo run, do it.

• Upvote 1

Its a toughie as the KRKs have a real good rep but as Napynap said "power" - for a DAW KRKS no guesswork there but in a jam situation is the question. If you tangle with a real drum kit things get loud quick and a bass just eats a room. Don't underestimate the 10" either. If you can take the HD with you and take both for a demo run, do it.

You guys are awesome.  Thanks everyone for all of the responses.  I think I'm gonna check it out this weekend.

Ok so I traded in the KRK for an ALTO TS212.  My only complaint is my patches sound muddy and have way too much bass.  Does anyone have any experience with this setup and could give me some pointers?

I am using a Variax (JTV 89) but I wouldn't think that should really matter.  It just sounds bad.  I feel like there has to be something I'm doing wrong.  any heavy distortion just sounds horrible and flat like I'm playing through a $15 amp from Walmart.  Anyone got any suggestions?  I am currently running 2.62 and have the HD pack with all of the cool metal amps.  It's kinda bumming me out that I can't get this thing dialed in.

It is set to studio/direct.  And I have started with simple patches.  I've built ones from scratch that was literally just an amp and cab and it still sounds muddy.  I'm going to try headphones later today just to make sure but it just sounds terrible.

It is set to studio/direct.  And I have started with simple patches.  I've built ones from scratch that was literally just an amp and cab and it still sounds muddy.  I'm going to try headphones later today just to make sure but it just sounds terrible.

DunedinDragon laid things out pretty well here. Going FRFR is different then a guitar cab and you will have to use some filtering/eqs to shape the tone (which a cab would normally do).

http://line6.com/support/topic/17000-notes-and-lessons-learned-on-frfr-patches/

I use the TC-Helicon FX150 personal monitor as an amp and I love the sound. Real punchy. I use the headphone jack on the HD500X and Y the left and right channels into the AUX input on the FX150. I don't have any stereo presets on the HD500X so there's no phase issues. My band is happy because now I don't blow anyone away with loud amp volumes and I can turn up the monitor as loud as I like. It even has decent bass response.