Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

JVT-69S bridge pops off the pivot posts when changing strings

I know its a good idea to change strings one at a time on a guitar, especially one that has a tremolo bridge. It keeps a constant tension on the neck and simplifies tuning as the tremolo springs don't completely unload.

However, there are times when you need to take off all the strings - often just to clean and oil the neck. When I do this on by JVT-69S, the bridge pops off the pivot post on the high string side, and actually pulls the pivot post and its threaded bushing right out of the guitar body on the low side!

Has anyone found a way to keep the bridge in place while all the strings are removed?

There are a couple threads in the archive about this.

The best solution I saw anyone recommend (but I haven't yet tested myself) was to lift the bridge up before removing strings by just depressing the tremolo arm and then putting some kind of block underneath that keeps it raised until you've finished the string change. In theory, that'll keep the bridge from coming free of the pivot screws.

I know its a good idea to change strings one at a time on a guitar, especially one that has a tremolo bridge. It keeps a constant tension on the neck and simplifies tuning as the tremolo springs don't completely unload.

However, there are times when you need to take off all the strings - often just to clean and oil the neck. When I do this on by JVT-69S, the bridge pops off the pivot post on the high string side, and actually pulls the pivot post and its threaded bushing right out of the guitar body on the low side!

Has anyone found a way to keep the bridge in place while all the strings are removed?

This isn't exactly a new problem, nor is it peculiar to JTV's. Every Strat-style floating bridge in the world has this issue. You can shove something under the bridge to try and keep it in it's neutral position (preferably something that won't ruin the finish), but it's mostly a losing battle. The springs are pulling back as hard as they always do, and without string tension to balance it, the bridge will always want to slip off those pivot points. There ain't much keeping it there... if you need to address neck issues, just bite the bullet and remove the bridge and springs. Getting it back together takes less time than trying to replace bushings that have flung half way across the room.

My Strat Deluxe has dual pivots like the JVT, but the bridge is designed so it can be close to the body and angled like a typical Strat bridge. It doesn't pop off the pivots at all.

However, I suspect the tremolo performance on that Deluxe could be improved by tilting the neck, raising and leveling the bridge. I might do that someday, but right now I'm mostly playing the JVT-69S and the Strat sits on the guitar stand as a backup. The Deluxe is certainly a much nicer guitar, but it become too limiting. I like those models and open tunings.