Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Need to troubleshoot digital crackle with Helix

FacemanJoe

Hi all.

I'm working on some new tones and I'm getting some nasty digital crackle that seems to be coming from the Helix. The signal into my mixer is a good level and not overdriving that mixer input at all.

Any suggestions on where to look for the offending pedal/volume setting?

Thanks!

Joe

to continue that thought... the headroom parameters come into play as you extend the delay beyond the max the pedal was designed for, which, for most of the analog delay pedals are around 300 to 600 ms.  There are lists around here posted by @benadrian that list the 'max' delay values.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for posting this..... I had the same problem and thought i had toasted the tweeters in my powered speaker until I noticed that it only happened when running the vintage delay, which I think I had set for a fairly long delay (approx. 450ms) and that the noise only happened on the delayed notes.

switched to adriatic delay and issue is gone... phew!  

I really wanted to use the vintage delay because it's called 'vintage' and that should be better, right?  I guess just better for shorter delays!

Thanks for posting this..... I had the same problem and thought i had toasted the tweeters in my powered speaker until I noticed that it only happened when running the vintage delay, which I think I had set for a fairly long delay (approx. 450ms) and that the noise only happened on the delayed notes.

switched to adriatic delay and issue is gone... phew!  

I really wanted to use the vintage delay because it's called 'vintage' and that should be better, right?  I guess just better for shorter delays!

Turn up headroom on Vintage Delay. Problem solved...

• Upvote 1

Also consider gain staging your blocks. Generally each block should be more or less unity gain. Test it by bypassing the block on/off and make sure the level doesn't change too much. This will ensure the levels from input to output are in their preferred operating range (or sweet spot) and there won't be any possibility of a block clipping in unintended ways. If you need boost blocks, start by cutting the level in the normal mode, and then remove the cut to create the boost. Same with EQ: generally prefer cutting what you don't want over boosting what you do want. The EQ will sound more natural and there's less chance of clipping.

Finally, a lot of Helix blocks are intended to see a guitar level input, they're designed to be in front of the amp. You can put them after the amp, but you'll need extra care to make sure the amp isn't overloading a device that was intended for much lower level inputs.

...Finally, a lot of Helix blocks are intended to see a guitar level input, they're designed to be in front of the amp. You can put them after the amp, but you'll need extra care to make sure the amp isn't overloading a device that was intended for much lower level inputs.

In my experience, if you jack the headroom parameter all the way up on these, they can go after the amp no problem.

Finally, a lot of Helix blocks are intended to see a guitar level input, they're designed to be in front of the amp. You can put them after the amp, but you'll need extra care to make sure the amp isn't overloading a device that was intended for much lower level inputs.

This is making my brain fizzle.

Considering that everything is done in the digital domain, I'd not considered that an amp would actually have overall gain.

Taking it a step further (just to be awkward), wouldn't the post amp signal actually be lower because it's coming from a mic in front of a cab?

Craig

This is making my brain fizzle.

Considering that everything is done in the digital domain, I'd not considered that an amp would actually have overall gain.

Taking it a step further (just to be awkward), wouldn't the post amp signal actually be lower because it's coming from a mic in front of a cab?

Craig

This is too much thinkin'... Seriously... jack up the headroom parameter and it goes away. 

Turn up headroom on Vintage Delay. Problem solved...

Peter,

Thank you for this information.  I have been having the "crackle" issue and it was Vintage Delay block.  I have taken it out for now, as I was out of town when it was discovered at a gig.  I'll add it and boost the headroom.

Respectfully,

Dennis

• 3 years later...