Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Who wants more IR slots?

Rocco_Crocco

I enjoy tinkering with presets. I could easily spend a couple hours going through all the models and trying different distortions, IRs, etc. Then rinse and repeat a few days later. This is purely for fun, with no real goal other than experiencing different sounds.

So, I was thinking more IR slots would be great. I am talking in the ballpark of 500 or so. Excessive? Probably for most guys, but I wonder if there may be a substantial percentage of players like me who just like horsing around with the Helix and would prefer to not have to constantly load IRs from my laptop.

Do I NEED more IR slots? Of course not. In fact, in my band I only use 5 or 6 presets all told... Maybe 10 IRs in total. But again, for fun it would be a great feature IMHO.

I like IR's but not much into a data entry job. If the IR slots were the same after an upgrade I'd say yes. But I won't invest much time in more than a few until they become part of the update process (I.E. put back in place automatically just like they were before the update). 

I'd like more, for pretty much the same reasons. If I spend the time rotating through what I have, I'll usually find one that is just perfect for what I was looking for. But it takes time and lots of IR's. I'd probably be okay with one more setlist of 128.

In my opinion, better IR management that would give us the tools to determine what IRs are being used with what patches would negate the need for additional IR slots.  I have about 100 or my IR slots filled right now, but I suspect that I'm probably only really actively using less than half that number in all my patches.  Give me a way to easily clean that up and 128 slots would be more than adequate.

I'd happily trade a user setlist for however many more IRs that'd get us.

But better IR management tools are way higher on my list in this area.

Yeah, the whole IR management thing has got to get better.   I have confidence it will based on other stuff they have done... but please... I hope it's soon.   

For IR Management I numbered all my IR's and then, because I had gaps, had to take IR's and just rename them to fill the numbers...   like 077 Blank, 078 Blank..  so I could just grab the whole IR folder and import.  

It works, it may even be clever, but it's just plain silly on a unit that can do just about everything else before you even know you want to do whatever it is your thinking of.

Additionally...  the whole bit of the Presets IR name, not relating to an IR File is pretty pathetic.    I use 3 Sigma IR's mostly and I get a lot of Freesets and Presets from TheHelixChannel.  I can't just load a preset, I have to then go in and select the IR's, because eventhough I have the IR's already,  I don't keep my IR's in the same slots as his... 

• Upvote 1

In my opinion, better IR management that would give us the tools to determine what IRs are being used with what patches would negate the need for additional IR slots.  I have about 100 or my IR slots filled right now, but I suspect that I'm probably only really actively using less than half that number in all my patches.  Give me a way to easily clean that up and 128 slots would be more than adequate.

Thats what i said a while back. Now all my IRs start withthe slot number, and presets end with the IR they are associated with lol. Its frustrating when there are no brainer items that would do well being applied to Helix and they take such a long time to come to fruition. Especially when its seems so easy to implement. Altho i admit, i may very welll be mistaken about the effort necessary to implement some ideas. This one seems easy

The whole problem with is you still need a way to see which IRs ARENT being used, otherwise you still need to go thru all the presets counting and figuring. Thats should be pretty easily rectified with a dot by the IR. Yeah we need a manager!

If I were asked to choose I'd definitey opt for more slots over better management. The IR file management does suck but I can work around it if I choose to. However if all of my IR slots are full, which they are, there's nothing I can do about that. And I'd like to load more IRs. I'd likewise trade a preset bank for another 128 IR slots or however many that would allow for.

• Upvote 1

The ideas about better IR management are all great and right on target. The points regarding a lock or indicator on IRs in use, using the IR name for lookup rather than slot position, and providing a namespace long enough to not truncate the names, particularly resonate. However, once I started using them extensively I found I still needed more slots than the 128 slots currently available just to fit my favorites in from a few sources. I think both better IR management and at least the option to have more slots available are the best solution for the most users. If the idea I posted which allows users to swap a Setlist for an IR list is feasible this would give users who want it the option to load additional IRs with zero impact to those who just prefer to have eight setlists. This idea advocates flexibility of how existing Helix resources are used (swap a setlist for an IR list) and does not necessarily require any additional memory be devoted to IRs. Of course, everything always seems so simple when you are not the one who has to do the development and are unaware of unanticipated requirements.