Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

How to record two outputs from Helix into two separate channels in DAW?

jm345

I have a guitar into Path 1 and a mic into Path 2. Helix is connected to my Windows 10 computer via USB. I can record a mix of both the guitar and mic with Reaper and Audacity. But I can't figure out how to record the guitar and mic into separate channels in the DAW. I assume it is possible and I need to adjust some settings in either the Helix or DAW? I have looked at the Manual but I don't see where that is covered. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

It sounds like the output of both paths is set to the same thing (probably 'multi' or USB 1/2).  You will need to set the output of one of the paths to a different USB output.  Try setting the output to USB 3/4 on a path, then choose Helix USB 3 (or 3/4 if you are recording in stereo) as the input for one of your tracks in the DAW.

I have a guitar into Path 1 and a mic into Path 2. Helix is connected to my Windows 10 computer via USB. I can record a mix of both the guitar and mic with Reaper and Audacity. But I can't figure out how to record the guitar and mic into separate channels in the DAW. I assume it is possible and I need to adjust some settings in either the Helix or DAW? I have looked at the Manual but I don't see where that is covered. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Hi,

Rather than type out a whole bunch of stuff again, can I simply point you to a couple of threads

with similar issues.

http://line6.com/support/topic/27158-helix-reamp-question/

http://line6.com/support/topic/27483-recording-helix-dry-stereo-into-a-daw-logic-pro-x/?do=findComment&comment=213456

Basically it seems to me that you have Reaper set to record USB 7 and 8 as one stereo track.

What you really need is Guitar on USB 7 to it's own track (mono) and USB 8 is mic on it's own track (mono).

Hope this is some help.

Wait, if you are trying to get the FX in Helix to record to the DAW, the USB 7 and USB 8 stuff won't help you, that's just the raw sound.

So...

The output block for each path is where you have to go. Make one USB 1/2 and the other USB 3/4, and monitor through the DAW.

Done.

Ping - The light just went on!

Now I realise the issue!

If you're wanting to capture the fully processed audio coming from Helix - then yes, do exactly as "PeterHamm" has instructed.

I just checked this using USB3/4 for Guitar and USB5/6 for Vox, although as Peter has already noted, you have to monitor through your DAW (Reaper).

The original technique I mentioned is if you want to grab the DI (dry) audio which can then be further processed through plug-ins or re-amped through Helix.

Have fun.

The output block for each path is where you have to go. Make one USB 1/2 and the other USB 3/4, and monitor through the DAW.

I had done that but I wasn't getting two tracks in DAW and monitoring from the Helix stopped. So it looks like I have to plug my headphones into my computer for monitoring when I am recording two paths into two tracks to DAW?

I think part of the problem is my unfamiliarity with Reaper (coming from Audactiy) so I am prolly not setting up the tracks right.

• 3 years later...

I know it's late to the game - but after reading - here is what I have been doing.   I have my Helix paired with an AudioBox as an aggregate device - so I can access all the inputs at once. - now I have inputs 1-10.  When I record into Logic - I select the track I want for the channel - no 1/2 or 3/4 but the single Helix channel I want (Helix is 3-10 in the aggregate - AudioBox is 1-2) 

Basically - on the Helix - you need to click the output block at the end and tell it where to send the signal.  If you're getting them in the DAW as 1/2, 3/4, etc...then use them as they are grouped - eg. guitar to 1/2, vocals to 3/4...otherwise if they are single channels (1,2,3,4,etc...) just send each to their own channel.  Then in the DAW you need to select that input for each appropriate channel.

It's not as hard as it sounds and actually becomes second nature after a little while - just pay attention to what is going where.

• 3 years later...

OK, so it's super late in the thread, but I only recently learned from one video how to do it, and it's so bizarre, that the chances of people replicating it are slim. And the video doesn't explicitly mention microphone which doesn't help. So, for posterity.

While the OP was not explicitly asking about HW monitoring, still this is the closest thread, so here it'll go.

There IS a way with Helix to simultaneously process, HW-monitor and record the processed guitar AND processed microphone signals on separate(!) USB outputs. This is in addition to the well documented way of recording dry guitar and mic on USB7/8. The comments above addressed either the separate channels for processed signal recording (losing HW monitoring in the process) or dry signal recording. But that's suboptimal.

First of all, basically all of the credit for the discovery of this method goes to Scott Uhl, the author of this video:

I just slightly adapted his findings for the microphone use case.

In order to achieve the monitoring and separate recording of guitar and mic, you need to split the mic path, like Scott is showing in the video. But instead of splitting the input part, just do the output one. Then, on the first path - send the processed mic to whatever you're using for monitoring. 1/4, XLR, Digital. Anything BUT the default "Multi" output. This is because the default Multi also sends to USB 1/2, which we don't want.

The second mic path send to whatever output you prefer to record just the mic on. I.e. USB 3/4.

Now you're hardware-monitoring a mix of the mic and the guitar on your default output, say XLR, recording your processed guitar on the default USB 1/2, and recording the processed mic on USB 3/4. In addition, as always, you can record the dry mic and try guitar on USB 7/8.

Note: In order for the extra paths to not collapse you need to have a block on them. Any block will do and the block can even be bypassed.

I can't believe this functionality is fully supported by Helix hardware and software, yet the UX of configuring it is so abysmal.