Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Short In Variaxe Cable?

For a couple of Sundays, whenever I'm playing my JTV-59, the volume randomly fluctuate. It would it either increase or decrease the volume suddenly, without warning. Although it isn't drastic, but it's definitely noticeable. At first, I'm looking at our sound guy and he's looking at me - we're both thinking "what is he doing!?" Then I realized that either my JTV or Variax cable is causing the problem. 

I tried to troubleshoot the best way I could. I verified that the battery was out of the guitar, I reseated the connections at the guitar and at the HD500x. While playing, I wiggled the cable at both ends; thinking if it's a short, my jostling of the cable would affect the volume.

Unfortunately, I couldn't duplicate the problem.

Now, I have to resort to using a typical 1/4" analog instrument cable. 

Could it be an issue with the cable?  The connector at the guitar or Pod? 

HELP!!!

Intermittent problems are rarely solved until they become constant problems... however, a new VDI cable is the cheapest and easiest thing to try. If you had one of the older design L6 VDI cables (floppy, easily tangled if you looked at it cross-eyed), then it wouldn't surprise me if that is in fact the problem. Mine lasted me only 2 years and change before it crapped out completely. Bestronics makes one that is considerably more robust, and you can choose any length you want.

Thanks, crusinon2, that is what I had planned to buy another cable. Last night, I closely inspected my original cable, and the end that I use to connect the guitar looked a bit worn. The sleeve that runs approx. 1 inch from and up from the connector looked a bit stressed. I'll post an update when I try out the new cable for the few weeks.