Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

How to use the microphone input?

jm345

I selected Template 012 Guitar and Mic for a basic start with the two respective inputs and made no changes or added blocks, etc. Using headphones for monitoring. Guitar input works fine. But there is nothing from the mic. The mic is a Shure Beta 87A. I set the Helix Mic In 48v on. I adjusted the Mic In Gain in Global Settings but it had no effect. I also increased the Pre-amp Gain and Level but there still is no mic sound. I don't think the mic is bad and I swapped mic cables. Are there other settings required when using the mic input? Can the mic input go bad/fail? Thanks for your help.

Hmm sorry I see that you did turn the phantom power on.   I would build a  patch from scratch for the mic and see if that works better.  I've used my helix with a condenser mic with the 48v and it worked great with nothing in the signal path.

I'm on FW version 2.21 and used Template (04A) which is the Guitar + Mic preset. With that preset the output becomes audible once the preamp gain is increased and the volume pedal is toe down. I use a Rode S1 which needs 48V phantom power (doesn't work at all with 24P and gets flakey with some sources that don't provide sufficient current). It works fine with the Helix.

Also plug your mic in while the unit or phantom is off. Hot plugging with phantom active can damage equipment depending on the capacitors and series limiting in the mic/gear. I have no information on the Helix or Beta 87A so can't say either way for those. Better to play it safe if unsure and only plug with the powering device off.

So if your mic and cable are good and your headphones are working to hear your guitar. Then it might be a hardware fault in your Helix.

Thanks for all your input. I have tried all suggestions. Nothing seems to work. I don't have access to my other mics right now but I think the problem must be either the mic or the Helix mic input.

I have one question for PeterHamm - You said you set set the preamp gain to 24 or 27. The Studio Tube Pre-amp for the mic only goes to 10. Where are you setting the gain to 24 or 27? Thanks

Thanks for all your input. I have tried all suggestions. Nothing seems to work. I don't have access to my other mics right now but I think the problem must be either the mic or the Helix mic input.

I have one question for PeterHamm - You said you set set the preamp gain to 24 or 27. The Studio Tube Pre-amp for the mic only goes to 10. Where are you setting the gain to 24 or 27? Thanks

I believe Peter was referring to the Global Settings --> Ins/Outs --> 'Mic In Gain' parameter, not the Studio Tube Pre block.

I believe Peter was referring to the Global Settings --> Ins/Outs --> 'Mic In Gain' parameter, not the Studio Tube Pre block.

Yes, I was, you have GOT to make the global setting first to hear anything out of a mic.

Yes, I was, you have GOT to make the global setting first to hear anything out of a mic.

Yes, I had tried adjusting the Global Mic Gain setting but there is no sound from the mic. I am pretty sure the 48v phantom power was on before I plugged in the mic. I didn't see anything in the manual about plugging in the mic before turning on the 48v power but it seems either the mic  or the Helix mic input has failed. Thanks for your help.   

• 2 weeks later...

Hey jm345, Did you ever get this sorted? I am having the same problem. :( I am thinking it is because I had +48 on as well and plugged a mic in while it was hot. The mic and cable still work fine when plugged into my other interface, so I am certain it is the Helix mic input that has crapped out. :( I had forgotten that I had used the +48 a few days before testing a Condenser mic and then tried to use my dynamic and it would not work. 

Hey jm345, Did you ever get this sorted? I am having the same problem. :( I am thinking it is because I had +48 on as well and plugged a mic in while it was hot. The mic and cable still work fine when plugged into my other interface, so I am certain it is the Helix mic input that has crapped out. :( I had forgotten that I had used the +48 a few days before testing a Condenser mic and then tried to use my dynamic and it would not work. 

No, still not working. And the mics and cables are fine. I just opened a Support Ticket yesterday but haven't heard anything yet. If you do a search it seems quite a few Helix have had the mic input stop working. I will report back when Line 6 replies. Keep me posted with your progress on fixing the problem. Thanks

No, still not working. And the mics and cables are fine. I just opened a Support Ticket yesterday but haven't heard anything yet. If you do a search it seems quite a few Helix have had the mic input stop working. I will report back when Line 6 replies. Keep me posted with your progress on fixing the problem. Thanks

Hey, sorry to bug. Did you hear anything yet jm345? I am wondering about opening a ticket myself. 

• 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Hey guys, what happened? Amazed to draw the conclusion that you really can adjust the mic gain in Global Settings. That knob used to work but since latest update (or for unknown reason) the mic gain stays 0 when trying to adjust. Why? Is this a sign that confirms your suspicions about failure of preamp/mic-input in the HELIX? 

No matter how I try to adjust input - with new preset and studio pre amp (mic) - nothing through the computer but a low signal of voice (but not enough to record properly). Tried dynamic mics, condensers and changed all the cables. Something - or myself - is seriously wrong here. Please respond if possible, I have a mortal deadline for a jingle. Be good! /From the snowy soundscape of Lapland. 

P.S. Condenser mic to mic input Helix - out USB input 8 to computer. (Doesn't matter if sending to XLR). Can not control insignal from Logic in computer, just "send". There's no way to enhance the signal via mic presets or Global Settings, (besides from turning off and on the Phantom Power, which works, so I guess (if anything else is broken inside Helix) it isn't the power. Same result anyway when using dynamic mic without ph power. D.S

I'll

Hey guys, what happened? Amazed to draw the conclusion that you really can adjust the mic gain in Global Settings. That knob used to work but since latest update (or for unknown reason) the mic gain stays 0 when trying to adjust. Why? Is this a sign that confirms your suspicions about failure of preamp/mic-input in the HELIX? 

No matter how I try to adjust input - with new preset and studio pre amp (mic) - nothing through the computer but a low signal of voice (but not enough to record properly). Tried dynamic mics, condensers and changed all the cables. Something - or myself - is seriously wrong here. Please respond if possible, I have a mortal deadline for a jingle. Be good! /From the snowy soundscape of Lapland. 

I'll look when I get home, but I am fairly sure this works for me.

• 2 weeks later...

i have a similar issue. i do facebook live with helix going into irig and iphone . guitar and backing track from mac is transmitted correctly. hooked up an akg lavalier mic to mic input. with phantom power on and moving up levels in global settings and studio pre, mic signal distorts quite early and i cant get a decent mic volume on my stream. want to try with a mic with mic pre (similar to a rode nt) next

• 1 year later...

I had an issue initially with absolutely no signal going to my DAW (ProTools) - input Gain set to 32, Mic preamp maxed but still nothing.

Quick fix - In the global settings, make sure you're aware of which input is being sent to ProTools (for me it was input 8 for Mic). I selected input 8 on Protools and voila - it all came to life and works perfectly. No Issues. I hope this helps someone.