Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Rapid muted sound when changing patch....

bobogillis

hello there...
I notice that there is a rapid muted sound when I change patch
and it sounds bad when I'm playing live where i need to frequently switch patches from clean/high gain drive/crunch. 
do you guys experience this ?
and how to get this fixed ?
I use POD HD500X by the way

Thank you....
  •  

Yes, it takes a few milliseconds to load in the new patch. No way around that. You either switch patches during a song and learn to incorporate the gap in your playing or you configure the Pod so that you only have to switch patches between songs. I do the latter. With 8 FX blocks and dual signal paths it's pretty easy to get the clean/high gain sounds in one patch.

There will always be a noticeable drop out when switching patches. Every modeler in the world sufferers from this to a greater or lesser degree. The device simply needs time to load up a new patch. We're talking milliseconds, but yes... it is noticeable, and everyone hates it. The only real solution is to set up dual amp patches, and assign the channel volume for each one to the expression pedal. That way you can morph between two completely different tones within the same patch... no drop-outs. It's a seamless transition. Works great live.

You can't avoid it. And it is not just because of "needing time to set up the patch". It is also about changes taking place. 

But if you are willing to put in entirely too much time and effort, you can work around it. 

It requires a very very very low patch volume (obviously, the master volume goes up to compensate) so that the volume drop is less noticeable. And it requires you to use the same amp and effect patterns. 

For example, always put your J-45 in block 4. It takes less time to go from J-45 in 4 to J-45 in 4, than it does J-45 in 4 to J-45 in 5 or J-45 in 4 to Uber in 4. 

And the same applies to effects. If patches are using the same effects, put them in the same position. 

*Note - echo and delay can't be helped. In that case, you are screwed. 

This is not 100%, but it helps. Obviously not enough to record with. But can fool a live audience at a beer drinkin' saloon. 

and how to get this fixed ?

Get a Helix. While it also have such gap between presets, you can have up to four paths in the same preset, so you're virtually covered.

This kind of small details can be a powerful sales pitch for users like you, so let the G.A.S begin to flow thru your veins. Resistance is futile.

ok guys..

i just have to admit about this limitation of this thing,

does it happen to any multi FX or just products from line6 ?

should have known before i get this...

by the way, i do as cruisinon2's suggest...

i can switch between clean / high gain with no delay, which now my problem is solved.

hope line6 is able to fix this issue soon, it is really really a big flaw.

Thanks you guys for the comment

There will always be a noticeable drop out when switching patches. Every modeler in the world sufferers from this to a greater or lesser degree. The device simply needs time to load up a new patch. We're talking milliseconds, but yes... it is noticeable, and everyone hates it. The only real solution is to set up dual amp patches, and assign the channel volume for each one to the expression pedal. That way you can morph between two completely different tones within the same patch... no drop-outs. It's a seamless transition. Works great live.

...hope line6 is able to fix this issue soon, it is really really a big flaw...

This subject has been discussed forever in these forums, even before Helix line and it's still not 'fixed'. It's always a compromise between low latency/spillover in patch changes, or use the available processing power toward having more variety of amps and effects for the same unit cost. The latter always wins out.

This subject has been discussed forever in these forums, even before Helix line and it's still not 'fixed'. It's always a compromise between low latency/spillover in patch changes, or use the available processing power toward having more variety of amps and effects for the same unit cost. The latter always wins out.

Yes, it's been discussed forever but the 'fix' is still misunderstood. What's required to resolve this issue is to have two independent processors in the device and only use one at a time for any preset. The other processor remains idle, waiting for the user to change presets. At that time the idle processor is loaded with the new preset while the active processor keeps producing sound. A few milliseconds later, when loading is complete, the previously idle processor becomes active with the new preset, and the previously active processor becomes idle, awaiting another preset change.

It's not a simple choice of amps/effects vs. processing power. It's a choice of the number of internal processors and their use. You can't eliminate the gap on a POD HD device by reducing the number of amp/fx selections. It is a single processor device and the gap is unavoidable while a new preset is being loaded.

Helix, being a dual processor device, could be turned into a no-delay-between-presets device. The cost would be that it would effectively become a single processor device. The current ability to use two independent processors simultaneously would be removed. Each preset would be constrained to use only one processor while the second processor would be used for the instantaneous preset switching as described above.

To me that's much too high a cost to save a few mIlliseconds latency.

• Upvote 1

hope line6 is able to fix this issue soon, it is really really a big flaw.

Limitation? Fix? Flaw?

There is no device, including non-musical products, that instantaneously make changes. 

Open up your web browser. It takes time unless it is already open in the background (which many mobile device do). Open a webpage, it takes time to load.

Can you get your cable tv to immediately change channels? Does your favorite music player (lp, cd, mp3, stream) change songs faster than a speeding bullet? 

The problem doesn't belong to L6.

ok guys..

does it happen to any multi FX or just products from line6 ?

should have known before i get this...

I'll say it again...EVERY modeler on earth does this. And don't hold your breath for a "fix", because nothing is "broken". This is how these devices are. If you need instantaneous switching with no gaps, an analog rig is the only thing that will provide that.