Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

What Are The Chances Of These Amps Dying Before/During A Gig?

talonmm

Recently I played a gig with a dt25 amp.  It was a small venue and really had to jack the volume tremendously to keep up with my bandmates using the dt 25 1x12 combo amp.

I don't play out often and my preferred method is the helix into the pa directly but when not possible I would use the helix into the dt25.

Now knowing a larger gig without a pa would tax my amp, and possibly not be loud enough, I bought a 2nd hand dt50 2x12 and also a used DT 50head.

I opened up line 6 tickets to find out and it turns out the dt25 is not on the list of questionable transformers but the dt50 2x12 amp is, and I am waiting to hear on the dt 50 head.

Line 6 was nice enough to cover the dt50 2x12 under warranty but if I use their authorized service center  I have to drive quite far to Manhattan for warranty work  or use someone local and pay them and hope line 6 will send them the parts for free.  Line 6 on their website showed a local non-authorized repair service center and I know they have an excellent reputation.

So my first question is if my amp was part of the recall, what are the realistic chances that the transformer will fail?  Has anyone used their dt50 in original condition while their unit was identified on the recall list and not blown the transformer?  Please keep in mind, I will be playing loud I suppose.

If I don't do the warranty work, I'd bring a second and different manufacturer's head to plug into the existing cabinet should a failure occur at a gig,so I'm wondering the chances I could get away with leaving the dt50 amp alone or if my amp will almost certainly blow the transformer.  The last person who owned the amp, was not in a band and practiced in a small room so I don't think the amp was ever played loudly.

I have heard horror stories about shipping these almost-100 pound amps cross country using ups and if I have to pay for freight at least one way, shipping the amp does not sound ideal.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

thanks!

Well I have the DT50 head, which I run through a 2x12 cab both celestion 30's for larger venues. Had it for 3 years and never a single issue and it is LOUD!

I even used it for rehearsals originally so it has quite a few hours of operation on it. I front my set up with the HD500X L6 link into my amp.

I cannot speak on the DT50 combo but I do own a DT25 combo with the 1x12 and I find that this amp also has a lot of headroom. I tend to use it more than my DT50 at this point.

I bought a cheap stand to angle the DT25 back onstage. It's perfect for smaller clubs and the larger ones just mic it and send me what I need through the wedge.

I use this amp an average of 3-4 times a week and the gigs are 3 to 4 hour shows. I have had to replace the power tubes twice in the past 2 years but considering the amount of use that is not bad. Trying to get into the habit of changing the tubes every 4 to 6 months and not waiting for them to blow or burn out.

Personally, if you think their is an issue with your transformer, I would do whatever I needed to, including shipping and waiting, to make sure my gear is 100% reliable.

My back up is always the HD500X direct into the PA if there is an issue onstage with my amp. It happens, but only twice in the past 3 years. I hate bringing back up amps as I have no roadies and truthfully the direct sound is pretty good (although I prefer a tube amp)

Hope this helps, good luck

I have had mine since 2010...no problems, but mine is not on the list...It would be prudent to get the tranny replaced (IMO) if yours is identified it as it is a known tranny defect for a bad lot of trannys...If you replace before it blows, it's generally not a big deal...If it blows, the amp will likely need a bit more work to get it back depending on how the tranny blows...

I have had mine since 2010...no problems, but mine is not on the list...It would be prudent to get the tranny replaced (IMO) if yours is identified it as it is a known tranny defect for a bad lot of trannys...If you replace before it blows, it's generally not a big deal...If it blows, the amp will likely need a bit more work to get it back depending on how the tranny blows...

Thanks so much the replies!  I was going to take my chances if the chances of blowing the transformer went from something like 1% to 2 or 3%, but when you state that when it blows it will cause needing more work and more parts and labor that seals the deal!  I'll get it repaired.  Thanks! 

• 1 month later...

I just got back my DT50 amp, thanks line 6!

There was zero documentation inside the package so I contacted line 6 to find out what was done.  They informed me they changed the fuse and the tubes on the amp.  The transformer was fine and not replaced.  seems odd to me, since many claimed including line 6, that the issues with these amps were the transformers and fuse, yet they had me ship the amp back to them at their expense to only change tubes and a fuse.

Should they have just sent me a fuse and tubes and had me make the changes?  Has anyone else heard that it was not the transformers, but just the fuses?

thanks

Glad you got it sorted.  I'd just trust Line 6 on the matter.  I'm sure they tested everything and there's not really much more that you can do.  

I don't gig but I'm amazed to hear that the DT25 had a hard time keeping up with your band.  I know mine gets super loud.  Is your band exceptionally loud or is there a chance that the DT25 was in low volume mode?

Glad you got it sorted.  I'd just trust Line 6 on the matter.  I'm sure they tested everything and there's not really much more that you can do.  

I don't gig but I'm amazed to hear that the DT25 had a hard time keeping up with your band.  I know mine gets super loud.  Is your band exceptionally loud or is there a chance that the DT25 was in low volume mode?

I agree, I'm just going to trust that Line 6 tested everything and knew what I needed.

Regarding the DT25 not keeping up, turns out I really am clueless. 

In the old days I would run the dt25 or dt50 through a pod hd 500x and everything worked fine because line 6 designed the amp and processor to work so well together.

Now that I have a helix, I use the line 6 link cable from the helix to the back of the amp but I was never able to get the midi commands to work just right, so the helix does not control the amp the way the pod hd500x does.

The amp and helix still sounds terrific together, but I believe I had it set to voicing I on the topology.  Now I see that using II also  sounds great but is much louder.  So I get the feeling that using voicing II, the dt25 should keep up with a band just fine.  It's not been tested since I usually use a pa system but should work as it is much louder than voicing I.

Voicing iv is even louder but distorts the clean tones too much.  So for now on it will be voice II when I don't have a pa system. 

thanks for your advice!

Keep in mind that it's still a 25 watt amp, with 1 12" speaker and when a band gets going, it's not a 50 watt head with a 2x12 or 4x12 cabinet.  It can and should keep up with a band, but if playing a large place or with a loud band, it may not keep up.