Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix Noise

stubish

Hi All,

I'd like some help diagnosing noise on my Helix... it's coming out of the xlr output into a yamaha desktop mixer (generally the mixer is quiet).

It is currently only happening at home, however my previous modeler didn't have this trouble (it's the main competition in a black box on the floor)...

A few things to note, 

1) it sounds like rapid clicking, if I boost mids on a bass amp at 3000hz it gets louder.

2) any guitar I have it remains (humbuckers, single coils, active bass) and it doesn't change with different pickups. It dissapears when I unplug a guitar.

3) at gigs it's completely silent. So I'm guessing it's some gremlin in my house, although why didn't it happen with the other unit then?

4) the signal seems to be super hot, even with the output set to Mic on the XLR. it's really easy to clip the input of the mixer...

5) combinations of where units (powered speaker, mixer, amp) are plugged into the walls don't change the condition.

Any suggestions on how to proceed? What should I be looking for? suggested diagnostics procedures?

Thanks!

Stuart

Hi Stuart,

Bit of an odd one this, although on a recent thread the strange "digital clicking" noise was emanating from the Vintage Delay in Helix!

Anyhow, even though it doesn't happen at gigs, it seems you have checked your home supply and it appears. O.K. Plus that boost in amplitude at 3000hz is odd, I don't quite understand that! Then your comment about the super hot signal "even with the output set to Mic on the XLR" made me think! Well, yes, the XLR output should be set to Mic to feed your mixer so something is not right there. The Line level XLR are to connect (balanced) Studio Gear, Monitors, PAs etc. You also never said if you have the same noise issues if you hook up with 1/4" Jack plugs.

I vaguely recall getting an odd rapid clicking with a bad Mic cable. This leads me to suspect that it's your cables. Oh, yeah make sure that phantom power isn't on for the Mic inputs. Or maybe not! It's just an idea.

Hi,

Thanks for the feedback... I'm leaning towards dirty power in the house... it's old wiring... 

I'm going to make sure I plug the helix straight into a plug in the wall next. No time just yet.

Also, i did check with a 1/4 inch. and yes it's there. No delay in the patch I'm working with so no luck there :)

Sounds like really dirty power from what you're describing. I used to live in a house built in the 40's and I'm guessing a lot of the wiring was almost as old, and I had one little practice amp that would make a consistent, almost cyclical clicking noise. There wasn't another piece of gear that would reproduce it the same way, but for some reason that little amp picked it up when the guitar was plugged in.

So if anybody is having this problem... my questions is do you have powerline networking adapters in your house? If so, go turn them off. It worked for me, changed the circuit the powerline adapter was in and problem solved!

• Upvote 1

So if anybody is having this problem... my questions is do you have powerline networking adapters in your house? If so, go turn them off. It worked for me, changed the circuit the powerline adapter was in and problem solved!

I just installed powerline network adapters in my home. I had to, the wifi signal just won't get though the floor strong enough!

Then my Lex Bos SuperDrive started makeing really weird noise (clicking and somewhat rithmic heavy white noises).

The Lex Bos operates on two 12AX7 tubes so at first I thought it was those (the network adapters didn't occur to me directly).

​I sent an email with sound clip to Lex, who has the best service you can imagine, and he also thought it could be a tube.

Then it dawned on me! These adapters are great but they really foul up your power lines!