Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Snapshot Parameter Assignment Knobs...

Andy1175

If you press one of the parameter adjustment knobs, (rack) it resets that parameter's value. Maybe it's just me, but I don't think I've ever used this function and TBH, I can't really see it's value. However, I spend a lot of time setting snapshot parameter values and I find the process of, making a mental note of the parameter setting, grabbing hold of my rack with one hand, (it's not bolted down) pushing the knob and turning it with the other hand, then readjusting the value back to what it was before I had to turn it, somewhat fiddly. Wouldn't it be better to give that one simple push to snapshot parameter assignment instead of it's current function? What d'you guys think?

-

You have the option to go into the menu button (directly to the right of 'SAVE') and then select Controller Assignment - from there you can dial to select which parameter, and then the controller (Snapshot in this case).

That never requires the push-turn action.

I've occasionally fumbled this as well, so I understand your comment, as do many others I'm sure.

Fortunately there is another way, even though it's a bit more fiddly than the push-turn shortcut.

You have the option to go into the menu button (directly to the right of 'SAVE') and then select Controller Assignment - from there you can dial to select which parameter, and then the controller (Snapshot in this case).

That never requires the push-turn action.

I've occasionally fumbled this as well, so I understand your comment, as do many others I'm sure.

Fortunately there is another way, even though it's a bit more fiddly than the push-turn shortcut.

Yes that's another way of doing it, but as you say, it's still a bit fiddly.  I just think that the one button push would be of more use doing this job than it's current one, which seems fairly pointless to me, I mean, you set these parameters to how you personally like them, not to some arbitrary default, right?  or am I missing something. 

-

• Upvote 1

Yes that's another way of doing it, but as you say, it's still a bit fiddly.  I just think that the one button push would be of more use doing this job than it's current one, which seems fairly pointless to me, I mean, you set these parameters to how you personally like them, not to some arbitrary default, right?  or am I missing something. 

-

I don't think you're missing anything - it's all relative to how we use the devices.

For me, that momentary push for default is a handy 'gut-check' to see if I've gone too far off the rails at times =]

Sometimes I use it as a shortcut to get to where I want it, if I've already gone well off of the default and I'm re-positioning that control.

A global configuration option would likely be a nice option - like "push encoder for default value on/off"

I don't think you're missing anything - it's all relative to how we use the devices.

For me, that momentary push for default is a handy 'gut-check' to see if I've gone too far off the rails at times =]

Sometimes I use it as a shortcut to get to where I want it, if I've already gone well off of the default and I'm re-positioning that control.

A global configuration option would likely be a nice option - like "push encoder for default value on/off"

Ah I see.  Well, yeah, that would be a great option, wonder if it's been suggested before.

-

Well, the push to reset to default function was set before snapshots even existed. I kind of think that once a company decides on these this type of functionality it's best not to mess with it just for the sake of consistency. Otherwise you get conflicting instructions floating around online when people do Google searches and whatnot, and probably just causes unnecessary confusion.

Well, the push to reset to default function was set before snapshots even existed. I kind of think that once a company decides on these this type of functionality it's best not to mess with it just for the sake of consistency. Otherwise you get conflicting instructions floating around online when people do Google searches and whatnot, and probably just causes unnecessary confusion.

Fair enough.  Thanks.

-

-

I agree but personally I would like pushing the knob would return it to the last saved value instead of factory default.

Sometimes I start adjusting something and find I want to go back to where it was but don't remember.

Other times I accidentally adjust a setting and want o return to what it was.

Maybe use a double click for returning to last saved value, for consistency with previous functionality?

That would in my opinion be very useful.

Totally agree that some way of looking at and/or reverting to the saved version of a patch would be very useful, and so is reverting to the default.

I'd love a Compare function, where you're hearing and seeing the saved version, can switch back and forth between saved and modified versions. That'd be useful both for seeing what the saved value was, and for checking whether you've actually improved matters with the past 2 1/2 hours of tinkering.

Trick would be usability.

1. BIG notice when you're in Compare mode
  2. Easy way to get out of Compare mode
  3. Easy way to permanently revert the patch to the saved version
  4. Compare version shouldn't be editable, for clarity, and so it's always the saved version.
    That's where it gets messy. What's the difference between editing and changing snapshots or pressing a stomp, both of which you'd have to be able to do for useful comparison.

If folks have any thoughts on the ugly bits of #4, that feature could be a huge win in my book.

I agree but personally I would like pushing the knob would return it to the last saved value instead of factory default.

Sometimes I start adjusting something and find I want to go back to where it was but don't remember.

Other times I accidentally adjust a setting and want o return to what it was.

Maybe use a double click for returning to last saved value, for consistency with previous functionality?

That would in my opinion be very useful.

When editing, use snapshots so you can quickly revert to the last parameter.  Snapshots automatically saves your settings, so this will increase the speed which you tweak at.