Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Can DOA Variax functionality on JTV-69 be fixed?

Hi all,

Bought a JTV-69 from a Guitar Center online. They said it was in new shape and that Variax functionality was working yet when I received it and plugged it in the Variax side wouldn't show LEDs or work at all. Mag side is fine.

I own a Shuriken so I have Workbench HD, Monkey etc. I tried plugging the JTV 69 into that to attempt a reflash but the VDI USB interface only shows red and green lights and Monkey nor Workbench recognize the JTV (recognizes the Shuriken just fine). VDI and 1/4" cables are plugged in, battery fully charged, volume is up and models are off with 5 way in first position all as is prescribed for properly addressing software. Tried multiple times with different Macs, to no avail.

Is this thing irreparably dead?? Any suggestions for next steps? Do I need to take it to a service center to get a repair estimate? Is it gonna be crazy expensive? Any better options? I really like the guitar side and the neck is fantastic. Feels way better than my fancy Shuriken which is a bit thin for my tastes.

Would love to make this thing work but Guitar Center guys have no clue how to fix it. They'll probably just chuck it or part it out or something if I return it. They said it was in new shape and honestly it looks untouched and still has cellophane on the covers but serial dates it as June 2013.

Not sure if something happened in shipping or what?

Your insight, wisdom and thoughts would be hugely appreciated!

Cheers,

Dan

On most JTV 69 models that appear to be dead actually have a modeling chrome knob that was pressed down too far or has clear protective plastic under the chrome knob that restricts the momentary switch action of the Variax on /off switch built into the Modeling knob

the solution is to gently lift the chrome top of modeling knob on the pot shaft 1/16" inch , to restore full excursion of the momentary switch under the chrome knob to activate the Variax mode

• Upvote 1

Thanks for your reply Stevekc!

I had actually already read about that modeling knob movement issue on the forum and had double checked that it isn't causing a problem. It is able to be pushed fully in and clicks when turning it to the different models. I even added a bit of paper to the inside of the knob as suggested in the forum to ensure that it has the motion to be pushed fully in. They just don't work and nothing lights up, even with a full battery :-(

Any other suggestions to make it work or for a repair process that makes sense? I sincerely like the feel of the 69 and would love to make it work for me. The functionality on the Shuriken is amazing but I'm just not getting along with the neck as well as I had hoped as its a bit too thin and shaped in a way that is actually hurting me when I play ergonomically correct for longer than 1/2 hour. I've had issues with tendonitis from overuse in the past. If the Shuriken had Strandberg's Endurneck it would be my dream guitar because the ergonomics of that neck are truly game changing. 

Thanks in advance for your insights!

Sounds like this was a recent purchase... if so, and assuming that you don't enjoy aggravation and needless suffering, send it back to that pit of despair from which it was purchased and start fresh with a new instrument (from somewhere else) ...this one is gonna be nothing but an albatross.

• Upvote 1