Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Half step up?

Soultrainer

You can attempt t do this with the pitch/whammy block by setting the mix to 100%, the position to 100%, and the toe value to +1.  I would recommend trying this out at home before bringing it out live - its not really meant to be a polyphonic type of pitch shifter, could get wonky with big chords.

220px-Capo_on_white1.png

Not kidding. This is the solution.

Ught!  I hate those things, just the sight of it brings me out in a rash.  But yeah, definately a better solution, although the Helix pitch shift is pretty good with lead, it's a passable solustion when the track you're trying to learn is half a tone out, big improvement on the HD500x imo.

-

Ught!  I hate those things, just the sight of it brings me out in a rash.  But yeah, definately a better solution,...

Well, if you don't like them because they are "cheating", somebody better tell Jimmy Page, James Taylor, Joe B, Pete Towshend, Eric Clapton and pretty much any other guitarists worth their salt... (google your favorite guitar players names plus the word "capo"...)

Using a capo throws me off because i rely on the fret markers to play in the right place, plus you can't bend strings with them.

Dude, I hear that. One reason I don't tune down unless the whole band is.

One thing that helps me is when I use a capo (for instance, let's say I'm doing a song in Bb), I think the chord I'm actually playing, not the shape. So I think "Bb" but play the G shape. After a few months of this, I realized I had trained myself to transpose songs on the fly in a way I never thought I could.

• Upvote 1

Well, if you don't like them because they are "cheating", somebody better tell Jimmy Page, James Taylor, Joe B, Pete Towshend, Eric Clapton and pretty much any other guitarists worth their salt... (google your favorite guitar players names plus the word "capo"...)

No, nothing to do with 'cheating' .

-

• Upvote 1

Albert "Ice Man" Collins

I rest my/our case!

I think everyone in this thread is misunderstanding the question.

Brother is tuned down a half-step (did the same for decades in live bands to help with vocals when playing 5 45 minute sets per night).  And if you have a floating trem like I do on some of my guitars...setting it up to play a half-step down is a big deal. 

And so is learning new cover songs that are tuned to standard. 

You can't just tune a floating trem with a floyd rose on it up a half step to practice and learn a song where the guitarist is tuned to standard. And you definitely can NOT use a capo to do that either. 

Could you imagine putting a capo on your guitar to learn Joe Walsh's licks on "Rocky Mountain Way" for instance? Or "Life In The Fast Lane"? Or any Stones tune. Or Aerosmith song? And all the great rock riffs that use open strings etc. and the lead breaks in those songs?
You might as well not even bother learning the songs in that scenario because you won't be able to have any muscle memorization.

It's true a new Variax equipped guitar would do it...but I'm pretty sure he's not going to go buy a new guitar for that. If he did, then he could just get another "regular" guitar with a fixed bridge and tune it to standard to learn the songs.

And that would be my suggestion. I've always had a ton of nice guitars and always had a Les Paul in my collection. That's how I did it. Just used the guitar that had a fixed bridge. 

Not much help to the OP if he doesn't have an extra guitar with a fixed bridge.  :(